Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hip flasks.

Poster: A snowHead
Megamum,

I know. I used to be involved in buying, and while I don't want to start an ethical debate (this not being the place) it's a question that I do ask myself from time to time. These kind of products are churned out in such vast quantities that the cost per item can be kept low - it's not just about manpower there is economy of scale on the cost of materials, packaging, shipping etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michelle, Ah now I understand why you didn't turn up in El Mesquit Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dypcdiver, Laughing Laughing Laughing
to be honest, we never left The Stone bar rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can I just add that despite what the hip flask contains, it should always be drunk from in the smile, Smile as opposed to the the frown/edges down turned. Sad But of course everybody knows that.
Michelle, I'll pop in, in a coulple of days and see what kind of a mess you left it in. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dypcdiver, AFAIK, it's still standing Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dypcdiver, I never cease to be amazed at the tips you can pick up on snowHead 's
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The hip flask arrived today - as suspected for the money is only lightweight in design, but I guess if you want to carry it round full of liquid all day then you possibly don't want added weight in its construction. It has a plastic lined screw-on top and is perfectly water tight. Seems fine for the money. A fair no frills solution.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pmsl, so folks are worried about safe coloured jackets, but happy to drink and ski.............. nice one
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme, did you read this whole thread? I did raise this issue - it seems that the general concensus was OK if in moderation - after all you are still legally allowed to drive a lethal weapon after a imbibing a sensible quantity. In my case a small amount of relaxant may be beneficial
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah i did read the whole thread, did you?? only one person commented after you mentioned about wether it ok to be drinking on the slopes. evryone else just talked about what to put in, or what flask is good

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-03-07 23:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graeme, White jackets - I would be worried...................that I looked like a tart Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, apparently white jackets are ok as long as they come with pocket for hip flask, plus matching beer hat wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhillipStanton wrote:
By far the best invention in this area has to be the the Leki pole that doubles as a hip flask. And I quote:
Quote:
Pole has a removable grip and fluid can be poured into shaft.

Late to the thread as usual but in Zermatt at xmas I fell into conversation with a very pleasant chap on a chairlift who, on discovering we both hailed from God's own county (He having left for some reason...) unscrewed the top of his Leki pole and passed me a measure - very civilised Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
graeme, Course I did - yes, I'm aware that only one person commented, but if you analyse the other comments it seemed folks generally seemed OK with the concept of imbibing a little on the slopes or in their coffee at lunch etc. Otherwise I can't see that so many folks would have posted along the lines of enjoying a nip on the chair lift, or in a group at a stopping point etc. It doesn't necessarily need to be said directly - my interpretation is that a lot of folks enjoy a little nip during the day whilst skiing - did you get a different message from the thread?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, i think the only thing i am getting from this thread is irony. kinda ironic that folks are always talking about safety and the dangerous actions of others, yet are now advocating drinking while being on the slopes, no matter how small or large an amount. please note i am not taking a stance against drinking, but rather pointing out the irony in peoples views.
ski holidays
Megamum, please dont think i am singling out you in particular here, has been a coincidence that i posted soon after you on both the posts tonight Very Happy
ski holidays
graeme, So you pick up on my comments on the purchase of a hip flask and use this as your weapon to comment on this thread - thanks chum!

It didn't occur to you that my comments in the white jacket thread might have been tongue firmly in cheek! B.t.w. I'm all for safety on the slopes, but for a long time have thought that just a little relaxer might assist my rather rigid skiing, and by making me more flexible might actually make me a little safer on the slopes.
snow report
Quote:

So you pick up on my comments on the purchase of a hip flask and use this as your weapon to comment on this thread

please show me where i used your comments on this thread, unless directly replying to you of course,

Quote:

It didn't occur to you that my comments in the white jacket thread might have been tongue firmly in cheek!

yeah it did occurr to me, also occurred to me that you could claim this at a later time

Quote:

have thought that just a little relaxer might assist my rather rigid skiing,

hmmm not sure on this statement, but from my perspective, if i had to have alcohol to help with a sport then i would give up

Quote:

thanks chum!

no problem, anytime
ski holidays
Quote:

hmmm not sure on this statement, but from my perspective, if i had to have alcohol to help with a sport then i would give up

graeme, I dont think that anyone is claiming they NEED the booze to help with the skiing. Hip flasks I have come accross are generally passed around for a wee sip and have absolutely no effect on the brain.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, absolutely no effect.... really???? pretty bold statement
snow report
Quote:

please show me where i used your comments on this thread, unless directly replying to you of course,

Well, it seems slightly 'coincidental' that you were in the middle of the other thread posting at a similar time to me, and yet this thread has been waiting for input for sometime, but you didn't think to comment on it until I posted.

I'll assume from your other comment that you've never needed a drink inside you to chat up a member of the opposite sex.
snow report
Megamum, please dont be paranoid about it, like i said earlier its a coincidence. as far as i am aware i am able to post in whichever time frame suits me, not others. i dont post a hell of a lot in general, tonight i was drawn to these 2 threads, for no other reason than i have already explained.
unless of course i am following you around to contradict your views rolling eyes
ski holidays
Jerry wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:
By far the best invention in this area has to be the the Leki pole that doubles as a hip flask. And I quote:
Quote:

Late to the thread as usual but in Zermatt at xmas I fell into conversation with a very pleasant chap on a chairlift who, on discovering we both hailed from God's own county (He having left for some reason...) unscrewed the top of his Leki pole and passed me a measure - very civilised Very Happy

But why stick (sorry!) at one ski pole? Someone on my very first ski trip had gin in one and brandy in the other. Strangely he never seemed the first up the slopes in the morning Laughing I am a little unsure of what sort of progress one makes down the mountain after frequent hip flasks stops. Reminds me rather of Peter Sellers' renowned Irish band...
ski holidays
graeme, Not at all. A single 25 ml measure of spirit is about 1 unit of alcohol. A hipflask contains on average 175ml therefore 7 units. I would say we would easily get 14 person/sips from a hip flask, that is half a unit of booze or a quarter pint of beer. I can drink a half a pint of beer and I cannot tell I have had a drink. A pint of beer and I can sometimes tell.

EDIT: On the other hand several Large beers in a certain mountain restaurant in VT seriously effected my judgenment and ability to ski.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 20-03-07 0:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
graeme, When you're on these threads conversing with perfect strangers, you could be anyone doing anything, and there are stirrers out there - b.t.w. that's not intended to be an accusation in your direction just a statement of pure fact.

I just don't want folks to get the idea that I'm actually advocating the idea of drinking on the slopes - I've said that it might be an idea that could relax me personally - that's not to say that I'd actually do it. I've posted the info on where I got one from because it seemed a valid inclusion into this thread. The reality of the situation is that I will probably use it to take sloe gin to goat club rallies rather than brandy onto the slopes!
snow report
Impairment in performance begins at below 0.02% BAC (1 to 1-1/2 drinks can result in this level).
{NIAAA - Alcohol Problems and Aging: 1998 U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services.

At low doses the effects of alcohol may include alterations in mood, cognition, anxiety level, and motor performance. It may also impair performance several hours after the blood alcohol level has gone down. Even slightly elevated levels result in more fatal accidents, and the majority of individuals who experience a problem related to alcohol use are light and moderate drinkers.
{Department of Health and Human Services in their reports to Congress 1990 and 1993}

One to two drinks of alcohol impair mental and physical abilities; mental processes such as restraint, awareness, concentration and judgment are affected, reaction time slowed, and an inability to perform complicated tasks.
{“The Effects of Alcohol and Other Drugs,” Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Irvine, CA, 1991}

Any blood alcohol level, even a BAC of 0.02%, the result of just one drink, increases the risk of a crash. Alcohol impairs nearly every aspect of the brain’s ability to process information, as well as the eye’s ability to focus and react to light.
{University of California, Berkeley, Wellness Letter, Jan. 1998}
snow conditions
When you consume alcohol, the body immediately begins to break it down. In the process, breakdown products called ethyl esters speed the movement of positively charged potassium ions from brain cells through the outer membranes, creating a negative charge within the cell. This impairs calcium channels - a bad thing since the brain cells rely on calcium to communicate with other cells throughout the body.
snow conditions
graeme wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, absolutely no effect.... really???? pretty bold statement

so are you still sure about this "absolutely no effect"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
graeme, With the vast bulk of my frame and narrowness of my arteries I can confirm my previous statement Very Happy Also what is "1-1.5 drinks" far more I suspect than a snifter from a shared hip flask. Also if I drink 1 unit of acohol per hour my body will break down each unit before i consume the next.
ski holidays
Megamum, graeme,

I wonder how much if this thread was tongue in cheek - I have taken it to be so.

graeme, If one takes about 10cl of alcohol (a swig) - how long before the body loses the effect i.e. no adverse reaction?
latest report
graeme wrote:
too many folks worrying about too many things, cant believe someone could actually be worried about the colour of there jacket. i hope the op was actually joking, and all the comments after are humorous also. we go on the slopes to have fun, partake in an extreme style sport, yeah an accident might happen but so what. Confused

This from the "White Jacket" thread - now I'm really confused Puzzled
snow conditions
I think graeme, is making a valid an often overlooked statement of fact here - I am going to start petitioning my MP to ban alcohol sales in all forms, and to criminalise it's consumption for the very reasosn he has stated. God knows it kills many more people than smoking, and the righteous ones amongst us have managed to get that banned.....So, who's with me? Let's ban alcohol along along with tobacco, surely it'll save money on legislation in the future if we enforce it in July at the same time as smoking in a public place....
ski holidays
Guvnor, where do i sign
snow conditions
Guvnor, and while your at it let's ban cars and all other road vehicles God only knows the strain that motoring accidents and deaths put on families, the NHS, and all our other over stressed public services. Confused
snow report
nah dont ban cars, getting my subaru on thursday wink
ski holidays
nlinesw4 wrote:
Jerry wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:
Quote:

But why stick (sorry!) at one ski pole? Someone on my very first ski trip had gin in one and brandy in the other. Strangely he never seemed the first up the slopes in the morning Laughing I am a little unsure of what sort of progress one makes down the mountain after frequent hip flasks stops. Reminds me rather of Peter Sellers' renowned Irish band...

The Columbians have a pole that doubles as a... OK - I'll stop now Twisted Evil
snow report
As I have two hips, I like to carry two flasks, one with a tawny port, the other with an aged Demerara rum. I am thus prepared for all eventualities.

A friend of mine came skiing a couple of years ago wearing a belt with various small flasks, a shaker, mixing stick and collapsible tumbler. Now that was a fine effort!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy