Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Living with the Missions

Poster: A snowHead
So it seems a few snowheads (myself included) bought Scott Missions earlier in the season.

So what do people think of them now they've hopefully skiied a bit on them?

I've so far skied them early season in Obertauren, 99% on piste, a few days in Engelberg 99% off piste Wink and recently for a few days in Cervinia, 80% off piste.

Their final outing will be in La Tania where I trust they will be superb in either the spring snow or the April Powder showers Very Happy

So I really do like them, they have performed very well both on and off piste, including small moguls. I'm yet to find and thus tackle an icy proper mogul run with them.

I got them as a one ski does it all, and so far I've not been disappointed.....I trust Kramer will use his for the EOSB slalom run Very Happy

The do like to be on edge, I've found in hard packed, scraped away snow they seem a little skittish, but improve if you get them onto edge.

You certainly can't relax on them as much as I could on the 1080s, they do like to be driven hard, but once cranked over they can really motor on piste as well as off. They will power through crud, slush etc with no problems.

I'd be interested in what other owners think of them.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've found them to be excellent in all conditions that I've tried them in so far. They're a little more tiring than my B2s, but that may be down to the increase in length as well. They work well in powder, either when it's heavy or light, they're good in the slush and sugar snow, they work well on the piste in almost all conditions. My only slight wish is that they were a twin tip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done 8 weeks on them now in all conditions and love 'em. I'm finding them 'triffic in the slushy conditions at present.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't have a pair, but have skied them alot. Accesable, easy ski. I found nothing special about them. That said, everyone i've sold them to or spoken to about them, loves them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I don't have a pair, but have skied them alot. Accesable, easy ski. I found nothing special about them. That said, everyone i've sold them to or spoken to about them, loves them.

How do they compare with (this season's) Volkl Karma?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I prefer the Karma. A single sidecut and IMO torsionally stiffer for those momments catching kids in you teeth! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
... A single sidecut ...

Puzzled What's that?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, The Mission has a dual sidecut. Makes the ski feel odd, i found.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
rob@rar, The Mission has a dual sidecut. Makes the ski feel odd, i found.

A left and right ski? If you're skiing on piste riding on both edges do the skis want to follow different tracks?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, No, each ski has a different shape front to back. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

Ahh, I see!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Some of you do go skiing in magnificent places don't you? - I love the piccy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, I've managed to get out on mine a grand total of twice this season - although I'm about to more than make up for it...

Anyway, both days I managed to take them out I had ski school to shadow. I can confirm that they are excellent to snowplough on - although the touring bindings raised some eyebrows Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramar

Watch out Mission Twin Tip nearly here.

Called the Punisher, out soon Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lemon,

welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads lemon
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

ok, call me thick, but I still don't get this! Are you saying that in a pair of Mission skis, your "left" ski will have a different shape to your "right" ski????
snow report
The Dual Radius Side cut is the same on both the right and left ski. The Sidecut changes from Tip to Waist and then from Waist to Tail. This enables a quick turn initation whilst a different release from the turn. It's a strange concept and none of you guys have noticed, and as you love 'em, don't let it bother you. Toofy Grin
latest report
ah, gotcha! thanks! Could this explain the quirk I mentioned initially, ie "I've found in hard packed, scraped away snow they seem a little skittish"

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
The only thing that I've found them to be hard work in has been icy moguls.
snow report
Great skis in pretty much all conditions, especially steep powder. I find them a little tricky in shallow-angle powder slopes, though. There I have to press against the back of my boots. Shift weight forward ever so slightly, and my 179s can dig in at the nose. On the last day, I was curing that with a rhythmic "turns" with bounce but minimal direction change. Also on shallow-angle piste, progress can be a bit slow. Nevertheless, I think they are very enjoyable skis.

Shan't be wearing them when I race Linds at the EOSB, though (of course we only race for a larf Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ).
latest report
Julian echos your comments above. He is well-chuffed with his Missions.
latest report
Tried the Missions for a day on piste (hard early, slush later) and they weren't as special as I thought they were going to be. The dual sidecut made shorter turns easy but I didn't feel comfortable when doing GS turns. Tried the Volkl Mantras too but don't think I am heavy enough for them. Felt most comfortable on a pair of Head Mojo 90's.
ski holidays
I took a pair out yesterday; similar conditions to DB, and I thought they were a pretty good ski. It was a 90% piste day and I felt pretty stable when I was skiing GS turns. I'd be interested to try them in a variety of conditions and I think as an all round ski you could do a lot worse.

Although now I'm a Chamonix skier I'm not happy unless I've got a mono-ski strapped to each foot Toofy Grin
ski holidays
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
I took a pair out yesterday; similar conditions to DB, and I thought they were a pretty good ski. It was a 90% piste day and I felt pretty stable when I was skiing GS turns. I'd be interested to try them in a variety of conditions and I think as an all round ski you could do a lot worse.

They were stable enough, just felt that when the piste was anything but flat the ski would grab when going over small undulations at speed. Maybe it was the shorter radius kicking in, maybe it's something to do with my technique in flat light or perhaps I would get used to if I spent more time on them. If you get on with them then a good choice for a one ski quiver. Took a pair of Atomic SL12's out for the piste on the weekend, not an allrounder but they were fantastic fun. As I generally drive to ski resorts I'll probably end up with a 4 ski quiver (i.e piste, powder, touring and rock ski).
snow report
DB wrote:
...just felt that when the piste was anything but flat the ski would grab when going over small undulations at speed...

I've been skiing on my Missions a lot lately and completely agree with the tendency to grab over small undulations DB. If you're not right on them then they have a tendency to "snap" - like an small, annoying dog. A "Geneva Airport Dog" perhaps?

My Missions have a touring bindings on - which will temper what I say here.

I've found them to be excellent off-piste, cut-up snow or slush and good, but not inspiring on-piste - ok to short turn, hard to carve (I think that is partly down to the binding though - and LOFT). But they are a complete nightmare in anything other than soft bumps - I'm ok, not great, in bumps, but these puppies definitely don't help.

I'm also currently skiing on Dynastar Contact 10s. They are superb on-piste - very snappy in short turns - a blast when carving; huge fun in bumps and good in crud / slush. But hard work in powder. And have all the characteristics of the Titanic in breakable crust. Shocked
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, I think that the difficulty in getting them to carve may well be due to the bindings that you have. I agree that they can be a little bit grabby if you're not concentrating, and very much agree that they're not a mogul ski, especially in the 183. Shocked
snow conditions
I completely agree Kramer. It's taking me while to get used to the Freeride Pluses as they create a "dead spot" underfoot that creates a feeling of being disconnected from the ski. I feel "in charge" of the Contact 10s, but often feel like a passenger on the Missions. And that, I think, is down to the bindings.

But they have given me one of the best ski runs of my life. So I'm not complaining. Too much. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, I wonder if your problems may be bindings-related, too. I came down an extremely steep (50 degrees at one point, in the opinion of easiski) long, hard-packed, mogulled run with them at LDA. Far from being a complete nightmare, the Missions felt safe and sure. That said, Missions are not an ideal piste ski, of course (I hope to try out Fischer Rx8s for that at the EOSB). But I do find them fine all round the mountain.
latest report
Just bought a pair for my son. Age 16, very fit, very good all mountain skier. Happy on the steep, very happy in the deep and fast and stylish on piste.
He is determined to qualify as an instructor while in 6th form so as to work the whole of his gap year southern hemisphere and then northern.

I plan on skiing vicariously through him in my old age!

I hope he likes them!
snow report
I just don't think they 'do' enough. Quite uninspring although they will not spoil your day. Can't put my finger on it but they just lack.......... jizz!!!
latest report
 brian
brian
achilles wrote:
I find them a little tricky in shallow-angle powder slopes, though. There I have to press against the back of my boots.

Shocked Puzzled
snow conditions
brian, exactly. One of the reasons I have booked a lesson with easiski at the EOSB is to get to the bottom of this.
ski holidays
I'm now back from my longest session with my Missions, fortunately I still like 'em!

I found them grabby on the very first day, going up a hard poma track, but after that I never felt them grabby at all, maybe I tuned into them.

The biggest revelation was how they rise up out of crud/spring snow and really accelerate in bad snow, I could literally feel them starting to float in some heavy snow where I think I would have struggled on thinner skis!

They also were fantastic in slushy moguls, I could ski a fast zipper line with them in small/medium moguls at the end of the day, great fun!

Now gotta wax 'em!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, achilles, dead spot my back bottom, just put them on and ski them for gods sake! Toofy Grin
snow report
zzz wrote:
PhillipStanton, achilles, dead spot my back bottom, just put them on and ski them for gods sake! Toofy Grin

Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy