Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Di Fassa or Passo Tonale?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im planning a family trip for a group of 7 this Christmas comprising 4 intermediates, 2 beginners and 1 non skier. I have been surfing the net trying to find out as much as possible and have chosen the above 2 resorts. Our main criteria are: transfer under 2.5 hours, hotel must have pool/ spa area, flights and accomodation max of €1,000 (circa) and preferably ski in/ out. Im fairly new to this skiing thing so would be obliged if fellow snowheads could make me aware of anything i should know about these places and which resort is the most popular. I am worried that Passo may not have enough to entertain the non skier for a week, whilst there will be loads to do in and around VDF (Canazei) though it is lower altitude and not as snow sure?

Gut instinct where would snowheads pick?

Thanks,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I 've been to passo but not VDF. Passo is a resort I like but i think the non skier would get bored. Passo is very small and apart from a few cafes, resturants and bars there is not much there at all.

Would the non skier try some lessons? Lessons in passo are excellent and the instuctors are great and speak excellent english. Im learnt to board at Passo.

As for the rest of your group i think passo would be perfect! lots of beginner / intermediate runs, snow sure, around 2.5 hours transfer, enough bars for a good night.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think he might do a couple of private lessons if he likes the look of it when we get over there. He doesnt want to do a full weeks skiing in case he injures his already bad back further. If Passo is that small then we will probably go with VDF just in case, there seems to be plenty to do over there.

Definately want to visit Passo some time though, it looks great.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm going to Canazei on Saturday for a week, so can let you know what it was like when I get back. We also considered Passo, but the more experienced skiers in the group felt they'd do the mountain in two days and be bored (even with the link to Ponte di Legno) so the endless miles of piste around the Sella Ronda appealed more.
Not convinced that there is that much for a non skier even in VDF, but I haven't looked too hard.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers would love some feedback on the area. What accomodation are you staying in?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chalet Rigoletto (Thomson) - got a ridiculously cheap last minute deal of £245 each for flights and accommodation. I think the brochure price is around double that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thedavman wrote:
Im planning a family trip for a group of 7 this Christmas comprising 4 intermediates, 2 beginners and 1 non skier. I have been surfing the net trying to find out as much as possible and have chosen the above 2 resorts. Our main criteria are: transfer under 2.5 hours, hotel must have pool/ spa area, flights and accomodation max of €1,000 (circa) and preferably ski in/ out. Im fairly new to this skiing thing so would be obliged if fellow snowheads could make me aware of anything i should know about these places and which resort is the most popular. I am worried that Passo may not have enough to entertain the non skier for a week, whilst there will be loads to do in and around VDF (Canazei) though it is lower altitude and not as snow sure?

Gut instinct where would snowheads pick?

Thanks,

I haven't been to Passo Tonale, but I would definitely NOT choose Val di Fassa for a non skier.

there is really virtually nothing outside of skiing, certainly at the Canazei end of the valley. There may be a little more down at the Moena end, but I didn't get down there to be sure.

And there is nothing ski in/ski out you need a gondola to get to the ski area, and there is only one run which returns to the bottom, which returns quite a long way from said gondola, or from much accommodation.

If the beginners are complete beginners, I would also not recommend the Canazei ski area, although they can always take the 10 minute ski bus up to Alba which has a very good beginners area at the top of the cable car (no way to ski back down for beginners though).

If they have skiied a week before, then they will cope with the reds in the canazei area, and your intermediates should cope with pretty well everything in the area.

Incidentally, the transfer (if from Verona) is pushing your 2.5 hours to the limit. If you go with First choice, they fly to Innsbruck, which is closer, and one operator (I think it was Inghams, but I'm not sure) even fly to Bolzano which is only an hour away.

Have you thought about Val Gardena? That has access to all the same terrain as VDF, but with a few hotels having ski in/ski out situation, and some beginner runs locally. I think there is probably also more to do for the non skier there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Inghams it is that fly to Bolzano - The transfer to Arabba in February was over 2 hours and there was not any traffic - the flight gets arrives mid/late evening after departing Gatwick around 5.30. Is Canazie that much closer to Bolzano than Arabba by road to make the trip only an hour?

BTW. I do recommend this route it was nice not to have the usual T.O. 5am at Gatwick Tyrolean Airlines ( part of Austrian ) were very good, best charter service I have been on. Newspapers, edible food, free drinks and plenty of leg room.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thedavman,

I have been to Passo Tonale twice. It is high and pretty snow sure, also has a small Glacier area. It is now linked to the lower village of Ponte di Ligno. Ponte has some nice tree skiing. Passo its self can be a bit barren, not that much for the non skier to do. It's main draw is that it is pretty good value.

Never been to Val di fassa, but it's an area I'd like to try.

Why are you limiting yourself to these 2 resorts?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CP wrote:
Inghams it is that fly to Bolzano - The transfer to Arabba in February was over 2 hours and there was not any traffic - the flight gets arrives mid/late evening after departing Gatwick around 5.30. Is Canazie that much closer to Bolzano than Arabba by road to make the trip only an hour?

Yes, I think so, although having just looked at their site, they quote 1:45 transfer time.

It takes about 40 minutes by bus from Canazei to Arabba, and you would go that way I think, unles you went via Val gardena-Colfosco-Corvara.

It might be a bit mre than an hour to Canazei, I was thinking of the quoted transfer time to Selva, which is closer to Baolzano (although not very much). 1:45 seems much too long.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney, We did go via Colfosco, and Corvara - both there and back. On the way we met another small coach and transfered some passengers going to Cortina. The return trip was very congested after we got away from the ski areas, it took over 3 hours.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would also reccomend Val Gardena which was only an 45 min to an hour by bus from Bolzano and the easy blues in Corvara are close to Selva, otherhalf who is a intermediate really liked skiing there over some of the other areas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back from a great week in Canazei (thanks mainly to the 40cm drop at the beginning of the week!). Would agree with most of what has already been posted. Transfer time was 4 hours because we had to go via Cavalese which wasn't really on the way. Even so, I imagine 3 hours is the norm. Slopes at the top of Canazei were fine for me (1 weeker) and our complete beginner was up there by the end of the week. There's not much for the non-skier to do, and the nightlife is not that extensive. Also I think there are many more Italians/Scandinavians/Germans than UK/Irish.

The main thumbs up for intermediates is the sheer quantity of the skiing available. We barely scraped the surface after a week, and would certainly consider going back (maybe to Selva which is slightly bigger). Downside for mixed groups is that the skiing is so spread out that you won't necessarily be able to go off round the mountain and get back for lunch with the beginners (there are loads of little mountain restaurants)

Over all, I'd definitely recommend the ski area. Canazei as a place was OK (especially given the cheap deal we got) but not the liveliest place I've been.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy