Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski all Day vs Coffee, Cigs and Lunch

Poster: A snowHead
Without suggesting my own skiing capabilities are of legendary status, I cant help but wonder as to what the actual levels of skiing and exertion people who claim to be skiing for 8+ hours a day are....

In the good old days when I was learning to ski, I skied from first lift to last, with an instructor for 4 hours a day, and with friends before and after, and generally covered not a lot of piste....this was due to the fact that it took me a while to get down between lifts....

Upon hitting the intermediate plateau, I found myself spending more and more time sat on lifts, simply because the ski between them was so much quicker.

These days, whilst being 20+ years older, I am also fitter, and generally have more technical ability, and also a tendency to push myself harder, and as a result, am exerting myself a lot more. For example, a morning of serious off piste (maybe including walking or skinning up and a long traverse, followed by a decent ski down several pitches, whilst only taking a few hours, means I tend to think I have had sufficient exercise for the day. Anyone who can claim to ski from first lift to last lift as so many of you appear to be doing, may I be so bold as to suggest you are possibly the same people who kid themselves as to the level of their ability ? I challenge anybody, triathletes or whatever, to seriously ski for 8+ hours a day at high levels of exertion, non-stop, then eat and drink to the levels people also claim, for a full week....I am no nutritionist, nor do I have the levels of fitness of professional athletes, but I can't help but think some of you are exaggerating your case on several fronts.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest, does it really matter?

Remember folks, we do this for FUN

You need to ski in the way that will give you enjoyment, and the only time it matters whether that is blast all day with minimal stops, or ski half an hour stop halaf an hour all day, is if you are skiing in a group who don't all want to do the same thing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney,

Wasn't really about whether it matters, I was just interested in what people generally do! Undoubtably it is about enjoyment after all it is a holiday ! I was just kinda interested who enjoys a relaxing holiday an dwho enjoys a fast paced exertive holiday and who enjoys a bit of both!

Guvnor,

When we ski without taking a 1 hour restaurant break and 3 coffee 15 min breaks we are generally covering alot of distance through big systems covered by lifts. Such as is possible in 3V or PdS etc.

When we ski off piste we still start at 8.30 and finish at 5 but we generally do rest for 1 hour in the middle, as this type of skiing is much more tiring!

In a week holiday I am going off piste once or twice and the rest of the week is piste stuff and generally the first day is a full day but i dont push it becuase my brain needs to remember how to ski!

It is amazing how quickly i forget everything about skiing, this year we descended from the Valluga, St Anton to Zurs quite challenging, literally 10 days later I was in Chamonix for a weekend and for the first 2 runs of the day I felt like I couldn't even remember how to parallel turn! It was seriously disconcerting.

Nutritionally during ski holidays I easily consume 5000 calories a day and it could well be higher. Also I sleep from 10:30pm - 7am and my alcohol consumption is 3-4 beers or 1/2 a bottle of wine max during the evening. (Yes i'm boring!!!)

To put it into perspective James Cracknell (olympic Rowing champion)when he trains consumes 7000 calories and rows many many many miles each day! I'm no where near a professional athlete but I dont ski like a professional I just ski like a fit amateur.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

only time it matters [...] is if you are skiing in a group who don't all want to do the same thing.

Just out of interest, how many is the maximum anyone has managed to ski with who all wanted to do the same thing? Confused We tried to go out en masse (8 of us) on our last two days, but it all went pear-shaped. I think we ended up with 3 being our optimum number Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clara_jo,

It's only ever me and Mr HL and if we don;t want to do the same thing we make a quick decision so as not to waste time - I'll sit it out for a couple of runs, or perhaps he'll take the black and I'll take the alternative blue (sorry mean red - used to north america Very Happy ). There is only one rule - do not stray from the agreed meeting point, whether its at the bottom or where piste's divide.

I can't imagine trying to get 8 organised - herding cats comes to mind Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clara_jo, There were 6 of us in the last trip, we planned to ski the first day together at least. Got to the top of the first gondola, 3 went left to a blue, 3 went right to a red.

So in answer to your question, 3 is the most, even with 4 people we tend to spilt into 2 lots of 2.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

herding cats comes to mind

holidayloverxx, Very Happy That was our phrase of the week! Even trying to get out of the chalet in the morning was a nightmare some days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to go all out until cream crackered, then a few years ago we went off with some friends & they introduced me to the idea of skiing in the morning & then having a nice relaxing lunch before skiing home Smile Much more civilised & enjoyable
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
provenjohn wrote:

Where did you get the emoticon = Fab Laughing

of course I can see now (its in the quote)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
plectrum, My calorie intake on skiing holidays is rather weird. Due to altitude and hangovers my meal intake averages somewhat less than 1 meal per day over the week. My alcohol intake is however much higher. So bottom line, plenty of calories but from the wrong source.

clara_jo, We can easily keep a group of 8 together. We have however skiied together for a large number of trips (50+) and though the group fluctuates in size and makeup each trip there are a hard core each time. We have one guy who always takes the lead (Name of Tambini, he also organises the trips), I usually take a position of tail end Charlie and the rest play in between. Just a question of keeping the guy in front in sight. We ususally do not ski flat out now that 50+ is also an age so that makes it easier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clara_jo,

I like to accommodate people, but sometimes for the enjoyment of all someone has to say "I'm doing X, anyone who wants to come, come now - meet at [insert bar/lift/time]" - same when eating out in a group. A bit bossy ( I prefer assertive) I know, but you'd be faffing all day otherwise
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We often have a dozen or so. Kids involved so we have an adult leader and a tail end Charlie. Sometimes we don't lose anyone Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our Christmas holiday is two families with two yoof apiece, so 8 of us. We all ski together all the time. The yoof stop when we stop for a break, but that's probably so that the adults can pay for the drinks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, Yes I like that one Toofy Grin Nicked it from somewhere last year wink

This ones quite good as well
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
provenjohn,

Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
Guvnor, bravo!

I can believe SOME of them do ski from first lift to last. I used to. I was in pretty good shape and didn't think skiing was that much exertion. But then, I wasn't pushing myself either. I just cruise, and I wanted to ski EVERY single run of a resort so I skied non-stop.

Those days were long gone. Now my longest day may be 5-6 hours of snow time. I maybe out for 8 hours door-2-door. But once the lunch time and the walk to the lift is substracted, it's down to 5-6 hours max. And that's quite a long day.

Also, a lot depends on the resorts. I remember trips to places where there's no queue and fast lifts. I would be on the lift the moment I reached the bottom. And before I was ready, I was at the top already! I covered so much on ski I couldn't stay out all day, my legs would be gone by mid-afternoon. But on a big holiday with 30 min. queues, it's a different story.
latest report
The last time I skiied I skiied as hard as I could for as long as possible; didn't last the whole day. Next time I'll try to pace myself so I stay on the mountain until at least 3 o'clock.
snow conditions
In this months EasyJey in flight mag

http://www.easyjetinflight.com/features/2007/mar/the_height_of.html
snow report
stanton, nice article but if i could afford lunching at these places everyday then taking these breaks from skiing would be no problem as I'd have the cash to book 2 weeks rather than 1 !!!

Hospiz Alm ... and my table will be drinking a chateau lafite 1953
snow report
Ski Bat, Ski Bat,
Quote:

Sorry if i have made a mistake but is this web site for SNOWHEADS or not?

People who enjoy playing all day in the mountains... and not those who sit in bars with their goggles on their head at jaunty angles saying "Yeh man! Rude. Took a gnarley line down that blue and blew it out man. Radical! Can you get me a snapple and a plate of chips, i'm starving."

Are these Ski-To-Lunchers welcome on this site??? Could you set up a seperate "Lunchheads" site and let us get on discussing the real issues!?

"Belt up! You boring prat - Ski Bat!
ski holidays
plectrum, Do you really think that you burn 5000 calories in a days skiing? How did you come up with this figure?
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
In this months EasyJey in flight mag

http://www.easyjetinflight.com/features/2007/mar/the_height_of.html

Was chatting to the locals last summer in St Martin de Bellville and they were telling me about the rich Russians being helied over from Courchevel to La bouitte in St Marcel for Lunch. Now where did I put that lotery ticket.

The other interesting snipit is that there is a rumour of a new chair going in at StMarcel that will link up with the top of the StMartin gondela
ski holidays
It's quality over quantity for me every time. On a fresh powder day I'll always hit the first lift and get as many fresh tracks in as possible. Then take an early leisurely lunch and then perhaps cruise the pistes for a couple of hours in the afternoon. On a hard pack day, I might start later in the morning and take a late lunch. All depends on mood and conditions. I try to take longer holidays (2 weeks) which makes the whole thing less intensive. Ski hard when the conditions are great, chill out when they're not. Sometimes reflecting over a hot chocolate and cake with your friends in your favourite mountain cafe, straight after a superb early morning run of fresh powder is as good as it gets Smile
snow report
here, here, Scarlet Pimpernel, what an idiot.
latest report
PP wrote:
plectrum, Do you really think that you burn 5000 calories in a days skiing? How did you come up with this figure?

I didnt say burn I said consume!!! I don't know how much I burn but I don't put weight on after skiing holidays I just tone so I figure its a trade.

And how do I come up with that figure, because we eat like pigs when we ski!

Mornings are porridge, with bananas/apples and either chocolate or fruit conserves mixed in. I have now started eating potched eggs in the morning (generally 2 on toast).

Througout the day we are drinking high sugar syrup juice around 3 litres and we munch continuously on nuts, dried fruit and chocolate.

After skiing we have 2 pints or so.

On return to chalet we have dinner 1 which is full fat cheeses, tomatoes, bread and plenty saucisson. When in france we drink Danao fruit and milk juice and then shower.

After we drink little bottled beers i guess 4 or so.

Then Dinner 2 which is generally pasta based big bolognese with many vegetables in and we probably consume two-three times the normal dinner portion, salads and then desert is generally full fat ice cream.

After dinner we drink more beers.

I may be wrong but I guess that is about 5000 calories and this continues pretty much for the whole week. The great thing is that during ski holidays I never feel liek I'm gorging, it just feels like I am replacing energy!
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:

I may be wrong but I guess that is about 5000 calories and this continues pretty much for the whole week. !

and the rest !
snow report
That's pretty much what i do but when i come back i have normally put on some kilo's. The reason i ask is that runners will normally burn 100 calories per mile that makes around 2600 calories for a marathon so it would seem that by your calculations we burn 2 marathons worth of calories per day? I should probably ski with you so i don't lard up as much!
snow report
Just back after first ski hol for 17 years. Although reasonably fit, have to say that after an average of 4 hours per day for 6 days (pretty hard skiing, I would say), I was/am absolutely shattered. Legs are still struggling over 2 days later.

As regards food, yes I ate like a pig at breakfast and dinner, but fairly lightly at lunch (if any) and did a fair bit of beer and wine at night, but think I've gained a few pounds (muscle obviously, not fat wink ).

All that said, I would be back tomorrow if I had the chance and if it wasn't for the wife and sprog, I'd probably have tried to go for 8 hours a day (I say try, not convinced I'd manage given how tired I feel).

I always feel knackered at the bottom of the lift and raring to go at the top, so maybe I could go forever?? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the ultimate non-stop skiing day try the Three Valleys Escapade (lift company promotion of 14 check points to get a certificate and badge, the idea is to do it over your 6 day holiday - but it is possible in a day - with no stopping at all, 13000m of vertical, 30 different lifts and 118km distance) - See http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2006/Escapade/Escapade.htm
snow conditions
It also depends on crowds and conditions.

If it's uncrowded with great snow, I'll take maybe a 20 minute break to refuel and that's it.

If it's crowded: first lift up and ski hard before the hordes arrive, early lunch at 11:00 (to avoid the crowds), ski hard from 11:30 to 1:30 (while everyone else is eating), coffee/beer in the early afternoon as the hordes return, ski hard from 3:00 to closing as the crowds dissipate.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy