Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski all Day vs Coffee, Cigs and Lunch

Poster: A snowHead
Done both in the past. Ski flat out in America to see how many top to bottom we can do in a day, spent whole days in the bar in Austria.
Life different now, don't eat on the mountain but love the occasional beer or vino stop.
If I look at it in retrospect, no days skiing or runs skiing come to mind quickly, but boy some occasions having a few beers on the mountain do.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never had the opportunity to ski a full day. Last (first) year had a small person in kids club / ski school all day, but a non-skiing wife to get back to at lunchtime, and sharing non-skiing activities in the afternoon. This year went just with my son. 1st 4 days good skiing in the morning, but then feeding him and indulging his new-found passions for pool, table football etc took most of the afternoons. 2nd 4 days looking after him and his broken leg, so no skiing at all.

Next year, will take my son skiing on a week that will be for him, then definitely a 'selfish' week just for me. Based on my experience through many years' motorcycle touring, where the rule was that progress and riding time are inversely proportional to group size, I plan going on my own, and skiing from first lift to last every day. Bliss!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PaulClark, Brought my son up to ski in my image. He was aware from an early age that there were beer breaks, skied all afternoon, and a beer (or two) straight from the slopes was mandatory.

Junior is now 22 and behaves just as badly as Senior, and has a damned goo time. Razz
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's very frustrating when you actually want to leap up and down like a 4-year-old saying "I've drunk my drink and now I wanna go skiing!!" Ah, wait a minute... I'm going skiing with my 4-year-old Billy Whizz nephew next week. The perfect cover wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clara_jo wrote:
It's very frustrating when you actually want to leap up and down like a 4-year-old saying "I've drunk my drink and now I wanna go skiing!!"

That sounds just like me!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cymru am Byth, who does junior support at rugby?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlets and Wales of course. Saves him being disinherited.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cymru am Byth, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I defected to the chilled out camp for the first time this year. Out at the crack of 10 or later if the lift queues long and bailing out before the rush to get down.

Mostly the reason was survival, it was a choice of pace the week or end up crippled. My fitness has hit an all time low and skiing with thighs you could fry eggs on is pretty pointless unless its the last day.

The other reason was the lure of afternoon tea and cake with hot tub to follow ... luvverrly
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just come back from Obertauern with some friends / fellow triathletes. Now that's what I call skiing...... OK I did go for a long run last night and my knees still hurt, but it was great! On the other hand I'm off with some friends next week to Obergurgl, and that'll be a more relaxed affair, both holidays have their place. I am still however going for the thrash the heck out of the slopes options with Apres Ski for "recovery". I can chill out a bit more when I'm older (that'd be when I get the cheap ski pass).

I love skiing early morning as the first lifts are opening... my favourite part of the day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatirishman, Your title does not match up with your comments. Razz
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cymru am Byth, Shall you and I start a SnowHeads Triathaltes subsection Laughing

I shall never forget our skipper saying to me:

"now Frosty, you jump at 2, and then again about 10 past 3 Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman and fatirishman, I did a triathlon once. My family wouldn't watch as I was the only one swimming backstroke Sad
The worst bit however was getting off the bike when first one calf and then the other went into cramp. Now I do loads of gym work and running and can ski all day if I want to... but generally follow the FTS method as I like my bombardinos
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
9.00am - lift up
10.00am coffee - lunch - alcohol
15.30 ski down.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have a saying about lunch in the mountains within our group of freinds...

All you need is "a snickers bar in a cable car".

You have plenty of time to get ripped off for lunch during the long summer months.
snow report
Typical day

First lift

10.30 hot choc stop

12.30 -2.00 Lunch and a few beers

3.30 beer stop

Then ski till last lift.

Maximising skiing and relaxation Very Happy
ski holidays
In tignes/Val 2 years back we started on first lift of day and every evening we would take the last lift to the top of tignes, there we'd sit as the paragliders would run and jump off the top of the mountain, watch them float down to tignes and then we would ski down with the piste patrol as the light was starting to fail.

I find it a real buzz to be one of the last off the mountain and to have pushed your body past its limits. It is not just a youth thing either, Oli is 24 I'm 28 but our friend Dan is 43!

Another example was skiing the 4 valleys in les trois vallees!!!! To do the 4 valleys you need to start early and as we were staying in Les Allues we needed to push it hard all day, left to courcheval first then up and down all the way to Orelle then back to Val Thorens for the last lift back up over the mountin into the Meribel system.

It was just Me and Dan out of our group of 6 and walking into the chalet 2 hours after everyone else had finished made us look like hero's and kinda I understand what all the lunchers like in the easy life, but the shower, dinner and beers that night wmake it all so worth it!

Now an admission, this year Off Piste in St Anton, (my breakfast was steak and eggs!) and I was so spent by 1pm from the Zurs descent that I had to stop for a moutain restaurant lunch .... Razz
snow conditions
Ski Bat wrote:

All you need is "a snickers bar in a cable car"....

...and Marianne Faithfull I suppose ?
snow report
Sorry if i have made a mistake but is this web site for SNOWHEADS or not?

People who enjoy playing all day in the mountains... and not those who sit in bars with their goggles on their head at jaunty angles saying "Yeh man! Rude. Took a gnarley line down that blue and blew it out man. Radical! Can you get me a snapple and a plate of chips, i'm starving."

Are these Ski-To-Lunchers welcome on this site??? Could you set up a seperate "Lunchheads" site and let us get on discussing the real issues!?

Thank you for letting me get that out. I feel better now.

rolling eyes NehNeh
ski holidays
Definitely lunch, need the fuel, if not also the rest.

Not a hour long affair though. And no beer.

I don't get the "break" thing at all. Food, yes, water, fine. I dislike stopping because of the hassle: take off your gloves, hats, jackets, boots... It takes half an hour to strip and then re-dress. It's not worth the trouble just for a quick drink. So, if I'm cooked and need a rest, call it lunch. Otherwise, just rest on the way up. Or call it an early day and save the legs for tomorrow.

I rarely stay out till the last lift. Not fit enough to do that and don't want to risk injury when I'm cold and tired at the end of day. Snow tend to be crappy too near end of day.
snow report
abc wrote:

...... take off your gloves, hats, jackets, boots... It takes half an hour to strip and then re-dress.

Since I've been dressing myself I can manage the gloves/hat/boots thing in about 5 mins each way (usually don't bother undoing boots unless it's lunch)- how much are you stripping off Shocked
snow report
Ski Bat, Where do you live?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, not in Chamonix. But i was there last week and had the best weeks skiing ever.

No time for lunch except at La Salle a Manger on the VB. Our guide insisted. And no goggles on the head at a jaunty angle in the bar either Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

Since I've been dressing myself I can manage the gloves/hat/boots thing in about 5 mins each way (usually don't bother undoing boots unless it's lunch)- how much are you stripping off Shocked

I do take my boots off. I sweat a lot when walking inside. Then I get chilled when I walk out with all that sweat. So, I "strip" till my clothing matches the indoor temperature.

Next time I sit down, I'll have to take stock of what I strip off. All I can tell you is you'll see this small mountain of clothing next to me when I sit down for lunch.

Or maybe just the fact I wear more layers than most. So there's more to take off inside. But then, I'm often the dude who head to the top chair when everyone was ducking inside because it's too cold and too windy. "Cold? what cold?"
latest report
abc,

I barely work up a sweat - I bow to your hardiness Smile
snow conditions
It depends on conditions, where I am and who I'm with. When in Zermatt, for example, I always stop for lunch, the temptation is so great - but not for too long. When with my family we often stop for lunch. I always try to get out for an early (not always the first!) lift and will ski right to the end of the day unless the weather is foul. Coffee/chocolate stops only seem to come into play if weather is bad or some member of the party just has to stop.
ski holidays
I skip breakfast and skin up to the top just in time for my high speed descent down to the bottom lift just prior to opening. First in the queue, I ski hard all day trying to use only drag lifts. On the drags I practice lots of different balance exercises, hops, jumps, short radius turns etc etc. If in a gondola or cable car I tend to get in an empty one so I can get in some chin ups, squat thrusts,and press ups. If its a chair lift I do straight leg raises and practice moguls in my head. I study the lift opening times and piste maps ensuring that my last lift up gives me the maximum ski time once the lifts close. To keep my energy levels up I have a camelbak filled with a mixture of water, sugar and male growth hormone. If hunger strikes I nibble on a bar of Kendal Mint Cake.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 15-03-07 22:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I skip breakfast and skin up to the top just in time for my high speed descent down to the bottom lift just prior to opening. First in the queue, I ski hard all day trying to use only drag lifts. On the drags I practice lots of different balance exercises, hops, jumps, short radius turns etc etc. If in a gondola or cable car I tend to get in an empty one so I can get in some chin ups, squat thrusts,and press ups. If its a chair lift I do straight leg raises and practice moguls in my head. I study the lift opening times and piste maps ensuring that my last lift up gives me the maximum ski time once the lifts close. To keep my energy levels up I have a camelbak filled with a mixture of water, sugar and male growth hormone. If hunger strikes I nibble on a bar of Kendal Mint Cake.

Wuss rolling eyes
snow conditions
Get kids in school. Make way to lift/gondola. Ski. Eat when hungry. Drink when thirsty. Stop when tired.

Isn't that in essence what we are all doing?
ski holidays
I for one am often grateful that I ski with people who are very good at telling me that I have skied my last run of the day. I realise I'm tired by the time I get back down off the mountain, but while I'm up there...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 15-03-07 23:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth, - it's all relative! (I'm a 5 hour 45 middle distance triathlete (1/2 IM)- no great shakes, I do it because it keeps me fit and because it is strangely fun). The nickname is there because in comparison to the rest of the people I train with I am carrying some weight. Skiing with them is great as it makes me push a lot harder than I normally would.

Nick L, nobody should take the Mick - you did it they didn't, and you'll get better! Embarassing however would be this http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20644&highlight= And I'll show my face ( and cheeks) there again this year!

One of my greatest pleasures skiing is racing for the last lift, making it, and finding a deckchair somewhere up a mountain where we can watch the sun disspear over the peaks with a cup of hot chocolate and rum in hand. If Carling made ski lifts there would be a nice long one late in the day with a free deck chair, waiter service, and hot chocolate at the top. Almost got it at the Plattenkar in Obertauern. Chilling out after the lifts have closed is definately allowed - surely?
ski holidays

If you're having dreams like that, I'd cut down on the cheese at supper time wink You'll wake up too exhausted to make the lift by lunchtime Laughing
snow report
Breakfast at 9 ski till 10
Break for whiskey hot choclate till 1030.
Ski till 1. Lunch till 2.
Break at 3 for more whiskey choclate.
Ski till last lift closes and find a bar at top of home run . Beer till darkness falls,and ski down to apres bar.
Bed by 11.
Ps. There's a particularly good bar at the top of Plein sud running all the way down to l'oxalys for the EOSB.
snow report
This is my first season in the ski fields so all has changed. I use to be first lifts, morning coffee and schnapps, lunch and then an afternoon beer break and go till last lifts for a top to bottom run. Nowadays I'm first lifts at 8:00am and go full on for a couple of hours. I find I am improving faster and crashing less as my body doesn't get totally fatigued. I also get the best of the powder and groomers with no crowds.
ski holidays
plectrum,

Tiredness & Fatigue is dangerous. Even if you do not think your tired after a few hours you will be less alert & reactive.

Many accidents are due to fatigue & over confidence.
snow conditions
stanton,

big fat balls!

I'm not promoting skiing whilst your yawning and actually unlike skibats I don't care whether people snack and break and enjoy the easy life or push it hard. Each to there own and to be honest the more people in the bars/restaurants = the less people on the pistes Smile

I do think energy levels and taking breaks are essential that's why in the mountains I advocate very big breakfasts and lots of high energy snacks such as nuts, dry fruit, chocolate and good sugary drinks. Also generally we have 2 dinners to make up for lunch, one at 6-6:30 bread, cheese, salami, tomatoes etc and then a main dinner at 8 or so! Having close to 2000 calories in the evenings definately set you up well for the next day.

In terms of breaks well when you are sitting on a 15 minute chairlift well you are getting a 15 minute break etc etc. On top of this I love stopping at certain scenic areas on the mountain for 10-15 mins to take in the beauty.

I also feel that it depends on where you ski / what you do. Off piste knee deep powder alongside lots of traversing is much more knackering than a day on the pistes and lifts! I would advise a nice hour midday break in that situation!

I am just one of those people that don't come to the mountains fo Apres Ski or mountain side ski lunches, boring maybe but again it is each to there own and this is what I enjoy!
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:

If you're having dreams like that, I'd cut down on the cheese at supper time wink You'll wake up too exhausted to make the lift by lunchtime Laughing

It's not the cheese, it is the absinth at 3 am!
snow report
Quote:

To keep my energy levels up I have a camelbak filled with a mixture of water, sugar and male growth hormone. If hunger strikes I nibble on a bar of Kendal Mint Cake.

Frosty the Snowman, From what I've heard you've overdosed on the growth hormone. Laughing
latest report
fatirishman,
Quote:

I'll show my face ( and cheeks) there again this year!

Very Happy Smile Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy