Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

backcountry/off piste kit, reccomendations please

Poster: A snowHead
ok folks what kit are you all carrying in/on your packs, i will be spending the rest of 2007 putting together my pack for next season, so all help is needed/appreciated
thanks
graeme Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spare basket. Pole planting is a lot less fun off piste when there is no basket.

Duct tape. To hold the basket in place on someone else's pole. Also useful for other repairs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Short rope for those wrong turns.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shovel
Probe
First-aid kit
Duct tape.
Spare clothing layer.
Water
Food
Sun hat.
Space-blanket.
I don't carry a spare basket - but it makes sense.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
graeme, Check-out http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/30/44/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
graeme, A Barryvox Pulse, preferably one with a dogey switch. A pair of Tecnica Diablo Magma in size 28.5. Afterwards, anyting you can fit in your bag that's heavy. Otherwise achilles, has got the list close.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't include the beacon (even a dodgy one Wink and anyway I use a Tracker) because you should be wearing it back country. I also carry a mobile phone ( surprising where you can get a signal these days) so that I have some chance of contacting emergency services quickly, and a small GPS to give a positive location if required (not a bad idea to have a topo map, as well). Oh, and I also carry a whistle. I have lost my Leatherman-type tool. Must hunt for it before the MSB. Finally, there is a case, if you need to keep track of navigation, for carrying a compass (in which case the topo map is a must).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 11-03-07 14:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...... a piece of dried French sausage in the backpack, is a must for serious backcountry .....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ummmm
compass and map seem to be missing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
little tiger, Not surprised. It would only be necessary if you were doing something serious where keeping track of navigation was an issue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles,

that is what BACKCOUNTRY is....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I mean folks get lost

My brother regularly had to go find ones that headed off and ended up in some gully that had only 1 viable entrance and could not find their way out ... (one area they had a particular place they always looked first due to number of folks got lost down there)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
graeme,

Some basis for a template on a previous discussion What to carry.....

....and don't forget that piece of French sausage - I carry a delightful Beaufortain/Herb version .....

...... allows search dogs to recover bodies quicker ....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
there is a shopping list for backcountry stuff here - with discussion on pros and cons

http://forum.ski.com.au/ultimate/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=003489#000000
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and an example of what happens when it all goes wrong... if you read far enough the rescuers make an appearance.... hats off to those guys ... skied out into a blizzard in the middle of the night in a very exposed area to rescue some other guys (and putting themselves in danger doing so)

http://forum.ski.com.au/ultimate/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000042
ski holidays
Regarding shovels - buy a metal one from a proper manufacturer eg. black diamond, ortovox. Ideally one with a telescopic handle and a reasonable sized shovel head.
Another thing that is worth its weight in gold for me is a waterproof stuff sacs for your kit - ortlieb make lots of different weights and sizes. Check out http://www.ortlieb.de/index2.php?lang=en
snow report
3 or 4 Twixs in the side pocket and at least 1.5 L of water in the camelbak. LED headtorch - plus achilles list.
snow conditions
Jelly Babies or Fizzy Cola Bottles.
latest report
Extra sunglasses/goggles/gloves.
Compass/map
Handwarmers
ski holidays
A decent bottle of claret, a fresh loaf and a selection of cheeses, plus whatever techie stuff you can get in your picnic hamper. Also consider taking whatever the skiing equivalent of a sherpa is.... wink
ski holidays
SnowGod wrote:
A decent bottle of claret, a fresh loaf and a selection of cheeses, plus whatever techie stuff you can get in your picnic hamper. Also consider taking whatever the skiing equivalent of a sherpa is.... wink

People could pay extra and get a Scarpa. They don't actually carry anything but they can consume half their weight in food and wine and then ski off in the wrong direction Madeye-Smiley
snow report
pencil and paper.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy