Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Milky Way finished this year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Will go there in last week of March but web cams of Claviere, Cesana, Sestriere and Sauze D'olux show more grass and rock than snow.

I am going to stay at Briancon for 4 days on a 4x4 so where would I find good snow? I suppose Puy Saint Vincent is a possibility if not for the queues.

Chose Briancon because Serre Chevalier seems to have better snow so at least somewhere to fall back to.

I would come out of the valley to stay 3 days in Bourg D'Oisan hoping Deux Alpes and L'Alpe D'Huez at least are not a disappointment.

Not tried Milky Way before but this is possibly the wrong year to go there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee, if you don't want to travel to LDA or ADH , I'd say Serre Che would be your best bet. We will be out there until march 31st. The queues will be OK in PSV by then, as there are no school holidays. Montgenvre will pribably have the best snow of the Milky Ways resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have booked 4 days to stay Briancon and then move camp to Bourg D'Oisan for the last 3 days to try out the Valley. Thanks for the tips.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, The snow in La Thuile has been very good this year. Why not base in Aosta and do La Thuile, Courmeyer and the other resorts in the valley.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My trip actually starts at Sion in Swizerland a week before where I will have 3 days trying out Cran Montana and Verbier. I then move camp to St. Vincent at the entrance to Cervinia, hoping some guaranteed snow there.

It has crossed my mind that I could stop at Courmayeur on my way from Sion (by going through Mont Blanc tunnel instead of the Grand St Bernard Tunnel) to St Vincent and possibly visit La Thulie on my way from St Vincent to Briancon. As far as the snow report is concerned Cervinia has more snow than other resorts in Italy. I am aware La Thuile/La Rosiere is endowed with snow at the moment but I have skied there in at least half a dozen trips.

I has been trying to ski Milky for some time and would stay there longer had the snow been good. It appears rather disappointing at the moment. Done LDA and LDH before but Milky Way/Serre Chevalier is the first time for us.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee we skied PSV and Claviere last weekend and enjoyed both, snow was also good in Montgenevre so worth considering skiing there as well which is easily done as it's linked to Claviere

a short report is here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saikee, we we're going to do the Milky Way and stop in Seistriere starting on 28/2 got there and bailed to Serre Chevalier due to lack of snow (none below Sestireire at 2000m and ribbons into the rest - or so it appeared). Serre Chevalier was great snow down to resorts at 1300-1500m, looked ropey into Briancon. Hope this helps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you can still ride into ALL parts of the resort (serre chevalier)

snow due this friday and lots due next mon/tues.

off to montgenevre this friday will report then.

not a fav of psv, too small and boring unless there is powder

i'm sure you'll have fun where ever you go if you put your mind to having fun
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
definately not finished at the mo! lots of lovely snow in montgenevre
ski holidays
 brian
brian
saikee wrote:
My trip actually starts at Sion in Swizerland a week before where I will have 3 days trying out Cran Montana and Verbier.

C/M is due south facing, possibly not an ideal April resort. There are however, some very appealing small stations on the other side of the Rhone with plenty of snow on their predominantly above 2000m North and East facing slopes. wink

Edit: too late, didn't check the date on saikee's post ! Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just came back from a 2200 miles trip.

Sion Valley (Crans Montana/Verbier) has the worst snow or rather the lack of it. There were plenty of runs with adequate cover but the snow was icy and grains of snow were like coarse sand or gravel. We have to find good snow above 2200m level.

Cervinia/Zermatt holding up pretty well. In fact condition in Zermatt was perfect up to the Furi station level. Cervinia has good snow cover for all the runs except going down to Valtournenche.

Briancon looked pretty bad at the bottom of the Prorel Godola station but once top there is nothing wrong to travel anywhere within Serre Chevalier.

Condition in Milky Way

As luck had it we hit snow. Condition was ideal in Montgenevre and Claviere. The only bad run I ran into was the lowest blue run from Claviere to Cesana chairlift. Sestriere at 2000m level was in a different world of its own. The best condition we had on the whole trip was in Sansicario where the wife and I were among the only few skiing the newly groomed Olympic slopes. It was like skiing on a mirror surface.

There was so much snow that the link to Sauze d'Oulx was closed due to avalanche risk. Apart from that we have a wonderful time in Mily Way. Had I known the snow could be so good I would have stayed at least a week there.

We drove past La Grave which is a resort for the experts as there is no groomed piste. It goes without saying that there won't be any snow making equipment there either. The run to the bottom was broken by lack of snow.

We spent a day in L'Alpe d' Heuz and another in Les Deux Alps. Snow at the bottom of the resort was lacking in both sites although at higher altitude there was no complaint at all. I made a mistake by triying the long back Sarenne run and experienced the full compliment of snow condition between 3330m to 1510m. At the bottom not only the snow turned slushy but there were rocks and stones too! Thus I ended up with some nasty deep grooves in a pair of newly bought skis.

We weren't expect to find good snow in late March this year but the condition turned out much better than we anticipated, especially in Milky Way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy