Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Caring for new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have recently bought a new pair of Rossignol Zenith Z5 skis after having skied for 2 weeks in Canada and France and becoming totally addicted. I have read on several websites that skis need to be protected from 'drying out' during the off-season. Does this apply to all skis or is it just woodcore skis that need this kind of attention? My Zenith skis are brand new and I haven't had the chance to use them yet but there looks to be a thin patchy layer of wax on the bases (I didn't request a wax and polish when I was buying). I assume this thin layer is simply a waxing that is applied before the skis leave the factory. Would this be enough of a protective layer to keep the skis in good nick until the new season?

On a different note, does anyone have any information on the construction of the Z5? The Rossi website is all bells and whistles but it doesn't really give any detailed information. Specifically, I am wondering is it a woodcore ski or is it simply a carbon/fibreglass setup and what is TPI2 Dualtec Integral?

Your advice and assistance on any of these questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thewahwah,

Welcome to snowHead

I have no idea, not owning my own skis but I'm sure an expert will be along shortly. If you don't get many responses bump the thread up after 24th March - it's the Mid Season Bash in Wengen tomorrow and lots of regulars seem to be setting off already - it's awfully quiet Sad Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thewahwah,
Welcome to snowHead 's
I also have a pair of Z5's and they are not wood-cored, however it's the bases that may "dry out" not the core.
You might want to have a read of the is thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23782
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi guys. Thanks for the welcomes and the responses.

II: I'll check out that thread. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II wrote:
thewahwah,
Welcome to snowHead 's
I also have a pair of Z5's and they are not wood-cored, however it's the bases that may "dry out" not the core.
You might want to have a read of the is thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=23782

II: some sound advice in that thread, my skis are being separated as soon as I get home. BTW what's your impression of the Z5s? I skied the Z3s for a week in Courchevel and really liked them, so I figured that the Z5s would give me more room for progression.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Basics: before you put the skis into storage for the off-season, put a good coating of so-called "travel wax" on them. "Travel wax" is an all-purpose hot ski wax that most shops can apply for a nominal charge. You can also purchase an all-purpose (a.k.a. universal) wax from one of many manufacturers (e.g. Swix, Toko, Holmenkol, Zardoz) and use a waxing iron to apply the wax to your skis (note that you can use a normal clothes iron for this, but that you'll never want to use said iron for clothes again - check out charity shops to see what they have).

The coating doesn't need to be thick - just enough to cover the bases and edges. There are also special edge crayons that you can use to coat the edges.

The reason you put on the storage wax is to prevent the base from "drying out" (oxidizing) and the edges from rusting. It helps preserve a tune from one season to the next, though you'd best have the skis looked at by a qualified ski technician before taking them out on the slopes next season.

A great basic guide to waxing skis can be found here. The only thing I'd change from their illustrated guide is that you shouldn't use a chemical wax remover too often on your bases - the chemicals tend to accelerate any "drying out" of the bases, and can adversely alter the skis' ability to absorb wax. Usually, you can do a "warm scrape" to get any grime, grit or dirt out of your bases. A "warm scrape" is where you iron on the wax into the base, then scrape it while it's still warm, before it cools and sets into the base's pores.

Good luck!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
songfta, thanks for the info and link.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can use parrafin wax for storage, it works well and saves on the cash. I usually tune all the skiis and then give a wax come winter I apply the correct temp wax, scrape and wax again. Rather easy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pinhead, thanks for your advice.

Feels kinda depressing talking about the end of the season. Crying or Very sad Suppose it's time to break out the golf clubs. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thewahwah wrote:
pinhead, thanks for your advice.

Feels kinda depressing talking about the end of the season. Crying or Very sad Suppose it's time to break out the golf clubs. wink

No way, March/April spring skiing is, IMHO, the best time to be in the Alps, longer days, warmer, still plenty of opporunity for powder, and spring snow off piste as well Very Happy

Cheers,

Greg
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy