Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Totally and utterly confused now - sizing???

Poster: A snowHead
As you know, my ski boot clogs are far too big for me and need changed (they are a size 28.5)

I went to two ski boot shops on Saturday and they sized my feet as 25.5, although the second shop initially said 26.5 but, when I mentioned that I had been to a shop already and they said that it is better to "size down", he then said a 25.5 would be better. Both shops said that a ski boot loses 10-15% volume once they are "bedded in".

On Sunday, I then went to another ski boot shop, who also said 25.5 or 26.0.

Today, straight from work, I went another shop and the guy said 27.0 or 27.5

I am really confused now.

When I try on the 25.5 and stand up straight, I can feel my toes pressing against the front of the boot (on each of my big toes, at the corner where the nail meets the skin, I have a pressure point, I can feel this pressure point on size 25.5). When I bend my knees, the pressure point is not there as my toes draw away from the front of the boot.

Heeeeeelp. I am a uk size 7 in shoes if that's any help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My lad's a size 7 and his boots are 26.5, they fit him perfectly! They are 'Head' boots, if that helps! I'm about an 8-8.5 and my boots are 27.5. They've had 9 days skiing so far and a 3 hour ski test at Castleford and have bedded down lovely. Guess what (this will get them all going) bought off 'E-BAY' through the summer for £120 total inc. delivery (well got them picked up by a friend) from a ski shop in Leeds. Funnily I ordered the same size as my old pair and they fit wink , for the lad's I just made a note of his hire boot size last year and ordered the same size. Let debate commence wink . Seriously though I hope me mentioning the sizes helps.

Kerry
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970,

in most cases you want the smallest ski boot you can wear WITHOUT PAIN, the toe on the end when standing stright up is fairly normal, a good footbed will reduce elongation of the foot, and as has been said on here many times before to get a boot that you could not get your toe to touch the front if forced it would need to be a good couple of sizes too big... 25.5 is a 6.5 + on a UK scale many boots are made long but without seeing the foot impossible to say. as UK shoe sizes were derived from the "hand" + 3 barley corns school of measurement i would say they are the least acurate sizes out there, Mondo popint sizing is the length of your foot in CM, but you need to understand that the boot manufacturers will oversize a bit to allow for various factors...shell checking is the only way to know for sure

Grimsby Ranger, carry on buying how you like, please don't feel the need to call on any of us if they hurt wink Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grimsby Ranger, Quite frankly anyone who buys boots off E-bay because they like the colour is not fit to post on this forum IMHO wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, Based on personal experience as well as the raft of plaudits they regularly recieve CEM, and our other 'booty boy' seem to be the guys to listen too. (nothing new there then)

I'm a 6.5/7 in UK shoe size and at Lockwoods was squashed and squeezed into a pair of 25.0 ski boots, ( 26 was the smallest I'd ever hired previously). 2 weeks of skiing later I am a very very happy girl!....except for the fact that I can no longer blame **** skiing on my footwear!

So at its most basic, similar foot size, similar mondo sizing to your majority opinion if that's any reassurance at all - but it's still got to be about finding a fitter that you trust and going with their advice whatever their advice may be.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Annie, is that 6.5/7 in UK women's or men's? Just to confuse things even more, UK women's 6.5 is equivalant to UK men's 4.5 which is Mondopoint 23.5, and a men's 6.5 is Mondopoint 25.5 so shouldn't have been much of a squeeze into a 25.0. But, as everyone knows - the sizes don't mean much - it's all down to what fits init!

Men's UK* Men's US Women's UK* Women's US Mondo Point
- 4.5 5.5 21.5
- 5 6 22
3.5 4.5 5.5 6.5 22.5
4 5 6 7 23
4.5 5.5 6.5 7.5 23.5
5 6 7 8 24
5.5 6.5 7.5 8.5 24.5
6 7 8 9 25
6.5 7.5 8.5 9.5 25.5
7 8 9 10 26
7.5 8.5 9.5 10.5 26.5
8 9 - - 27
8.5 9.5 - - 27.5
9 10 - - 28
9.5 10.5 - - 28.5
10 11 - - 29
10.5 11.5 - - 29.5
11 12 - - 30
11.5 12.5 - - 30.5
12 13 - - 31
12.5 13.5 - - 31.5
13 14 - - 32
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petemillis, I thought you were kidding when you said you were talking "telephone numbers" on this one. Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petemillis, not sure where you got that size info from, but it doesn't seem to fit for me...
I have UK size 10 feet. My old ski boots were 28.5 (so, not far off what you say). My current boots are 27.5, which your table would make me an 8.5. A certain zookeeper was toying with putting me in 26.5, i.e. the equivalent of 7.5 in UK sizing, or 2.5 sizes below my current shoes!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
petemillis, You sizing table is nonsense. Try looking up the Salomon site. For the Rush (women's) series, a Mondo 25.5 is a UK 6.5. For the X-wave ("men's") series, a Mondo 25.5 is also UK 6.5. Your assertion that a "UK women's 6.5 is equivalent to UK men's 4.5" is simply wrong.

The US sizes for a Mondo 25.5 are: women's = 8 (US), men's = 7 (US).

In any event, the only way to get the correct size is to try them on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, that size info is all over the place in various charts from the likes of Scarpa. It's easy to convert Mondopoint sizing to US by adding the numbers together i.e. a 28.5 mondopoint is 2+8+0.5 = 10.5US. to convert US to UK, subtract 1, so US 10.5 is UK 9.5. BUT the length available inside the shell is NOT the mondopoint length, it's bigger. As an example, SZK confirmed that the interior length of my 28.5 mondopoint Tecnica Diablo Magma boot is 305mm (30.5cm) which means there is 2cm extra space for a mondopoint 28.5 (or UK 9.5) foot. So my 28.5cm foot could fit in a smaller length boot. SZK said the 27.5 mondopoint Magma boot measures 290 mm internally so I should be able to fit that, as should a size 10 (29cm foot) with a bit of work. But a 26.5.......you'd have to be brave, but I'll be he can do it!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jtr, they've sized them using UK mens sizes then. There is a big difference between normal UK mens and womens sizes. You try getting in a pair of women's size 10 shoes - it don't work unless you've got men's size 8 feet. As you say though - the only way is to try 'em on - no disagreement there..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
petemillis, Well, I bow to your superior knowledge of trying on women's shoes wink but you are still wrong.

Try looking it up on the net e.g. www.safariquip.co.uk/i_shoe_sizes.html , www.veganline.com/shoe-sizes.htm , www.flywalk.co.uk/Shoe-Size-Comparison.htm.
I must remember to tell my wife, foot size 6 (women's) that her Mondo 25.0 boots, fitted and bought in Courchevel, are the wrong size, as were the ones she had previously (fitted and bought in the UK), as were the ones … recurring - on the other hand, maybe I won't. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe UK mens and UK womens are the same then, but that chart was from Scarpa. Weird thing is, I've just had a look at http://www.flywalk.co.uk/Shoe-Size-Comparison.htm what you mentioned, and they size a US mens and US womens completely differently. I think was happened is that the assumption has been made that UK womens must therefore be different to UK mens! As per thread title, I'm now totally and utterly confused as well Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter, I've heard the "adding the numbers together" one before. It's about as scientific as converting F to C by taking away 28 and dividing by 2. Also, your "subtract 1 for UK" doesn't seem to hold water either...

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html#adult
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.france-property-and-information.com/clothing_sizes.htm

And here's a totally useless fact...
There are two scales used in the US. The standard (or "FIA") scale and the common scales. The "common" scale is more widely used. The scales are about ½ size different. (Under the "common" scale, there is about a 1½ size difference between mens and womens. Eg. A US mens 5 is the equivalent of a US womens 6½ under the "common" scale.)
ski holidays
Grimsby Ranger, carry on buying how you like, please don't feel the need to call on any of us if they hurt wink Little Angel[/quote]

CEM, you've no chance of hearing anything from me if they hurt, I might join on a different name and ask though Laughing

SteveKirby, you'd never catch me buying some lovely bright red boots off e-bay wink You might find my misses moaning I'd got her the wrong size (family kitted out for under £200!!!) and sneaking off to the ski shop in France to get her foot measured wink then not saying anything when they told her they were right Laughing snowHead It's easy this ski boot buying malarkey Toofy Grin
latest report
sorry jb1970, for hijacking your thread, hope you get yourself sorted Blush
snow report
petemillis, uk mens and womens sizes are the same, only in the US do they need to have a difference

also being as UK or US sizes are based on imperial sizing there can be not truely correct correlation to mondopoint sizing which is metric [there will be cross over but not true direct link]
snow conditions
From the ultimate internet resource - Snot&Rag

See, they've got 1 size difference between US and UK. My suggestion: If the skiboot fits, wear it.
snow conditions
petemillis, A guide only though. I take size 8 shoes which they show as 27. However Lockwoods last week fitted me with a pair of Salomons in 26.
snow report
Sizing, Size Stickers and Size comparisons only serve to confuse, work in mm, measure your feet in mm, measure the internals of your boots in mm, estimate liner effect, in mm! Forget you shoe sizes and start acting your ages! Toofy Grin
latest report
jb1970 wrote:

Heeeeeelp. I am a uk size 7 in shoes if that's any help.

You should be looking at a size 26 boot as a starting point, maybe 25.5 as the shops have said. Cut your nails before you try boots on though.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, PMSL - love it!
snow conditions
Right peeps - went back to one of the shops that I went to at the weekend. I asked for another assistant (its not that I found the first one unhelpful, on the contrary, he was very helpful, I just wanted a 2nd opinion). Anyway, she measured my feet and told me that I am a size 26 (she said that they don't stock whole sizes 24,25,26, etc, only half sizes 24.5, 25.5, 26.5).. I told her that the guy on Saturday had said a 25.5, but she said she felt I would be better with a 26.5 boot as this would give me a comfort fit. When I mentioned the pressure points at the top of my two big toes, she said that she thinks the 25.5 would be too tight. She basically said that I would be better with the 26.5 because of the pressure points and because my left foot is slightly longer than my right.

She said that the 26.5 would be ideal with insoles.

I tried on the 26.5 and they felt very comfortable. When I was sitting down with them on, I was able to lift my heel and wiggle my toes. My toes don't touch the front of the boot, but they are very close to it.

Please advise

Thanks again.
latest report
sounds a bit big...
snow conditions
jb1970 wrote:
Right peeps - went back to one of the shops that I went to at the weekend. I asked for another assistant (its not that I found the first one unhelpful, on the contrary, he was very helpful, I just wanted a 2nd opinion). Anyway, she measured my feet and told me that I am a size 26 (she said that they don't stock whole sizes 24,25,26, etc, only half sizes 24.5, 25.5, 26.5).. I told her that the guy on Saturday had said a 25.5, but she said she felt I would be better with a 26.5 boot as this would give me a comfort fit. When I mentioned the pressure points at the top of my two big toes, she said that she thinks the 25.5 would be too tight. She basically said that I would be better with the 26.5 because of the pressure points and because my left foot is slightly longer than my right.

She said that the 26.5 would be ideal with insoles.

I tried on the 26.5 and they felt very comfortable. When I was sitting down with them on, I was able to lift my heel and wiggle my toes. My toes don't touch the front of the boot, but they are very close to it.

Please advise

Thanks again.

all depends what you are looking for, slippers or ski boots....sounds too big to me, or at least too much volume in the heel area Little Angel

sounds like the 26.5 is an easy option, no pressure points to have to do work on therefore you leave without any need for the fitter to break into a sweat

do the shell check yourself how much space is there behind your heel with the toes just brushing the front in the empty shell.

the pressure on top of your big toes can be aliveated by various means and should not be the reason for up sizing.... but whan all is said and done it is your decision
ski holidays
Just out of interest, the shop that said 27.0-27.5 was the shop I bought my king-kong sized boots from 4 years ago Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM wrote:
all depends what you are looking for, slippers or ski boots....sounds too big to me

Given the street size of 7 it sounds too big to me as well. I have size 8 (42) feet and 26.5 would be fine for me.
latest report
davidof wrote:
CEM wrote:
all depends what you are looking for, slippers or ski boots....sounds too big to me

Given the street size of 7 it sounds too big to me as well. I have size 8 (42) feet and 26.5 would be fine for me.

If your size 8 goes into 26.5, does that mean my size 7 goes into 25.5?
ski holidays
jb1970, again, the basic concept here is: depends on the boot shape in any given size. My size 42 goes into 27, 26, 25.5 and 9 (tho I've suffered through 7s from that one) from different ski boot mfgs. Shell fit, shell fit, shell fit.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
jb1970, again, the basic concept here is: depends on the boot shape in any given size. My size 42 goes into 27, 26, 25.5 and 9 (tho I've suffered through 7s from that one) from different ski boot mfgs. Shell fit, shell fit, shell fit.

I dont understand what you mean when you say and 9 (though I've suffered through 7s from that one) from different ski boot mfgs.

Thanks everybody who responded. I just want to feel comfortable, but don't want to be rattling about in the boots.
I'm still not sure about the pressure points in the toes touching when I am in the 25.5 just as I am not sure whether the 26.5 are too big.
snow conditions
jb1970, I mean those boots were not available in mondopoint sizes, only US shoe ones.

For me, the size US9s would be a 'comfort' fit i.e. 14mm room behind the heel tendon with too much room beyond the toes, whereas the size US7s were perfect, once they were shell punched at the first and fifth met heads, ground out at the navicular bones and at the ankles, the cuff back ground down, the liner tongues shaved, footbeds with moderate arch placed in, and toe lifters installed. Then I skied them ~12 days before I could ride the lift without unbuckling.

Good thing the bootfitter wasn't a lazy sort, huh? I'd probably still be skiing those if they hadn't remained in an ex's brothers' basement in '96.
latest report
jb1970, I agree with comprex - my better boots have always needed work on them to get them to fit well. Boots don't usually get tighter when you leave the shop, if they get looser, and you can lift the heel already, you may be stuffed.
ski holidays
Do you think it might be better if I hire for the two days that I am away at Easter weekend, so I can get a feel of different sizes?
latest report
jb1970, useful if you are considering purchase of the same brand and model you hire, I don't see it otherwise ? Puzzled
latest report
A few basics for ski boot fit:

1. Have your feet measured for length and width in both weighted and unweighted situations.

2. Get your boots "shell fit" - i.e. have the shop take out the liner, stick your foot into the shell and see how well the shell fits for length. Forget what the boot claims its size to be - it's all about shell fit. One man's 26.5 is another man's 28 is another man's 27 - such is the disparity between brands and shells.

3. In the shop, a new boot should feel uniformly tight - not like a comfy sneaker, but like a form-fit cast. The liner material will pack out a bit with use, and the time you spend wearing the boot in a shop should be substantial enough (minimum: 30-45 minutes.... seriously) to give you a sense of how the fit will be on the hill. Note that pressure spots should be dealt with in the beginning, but that the boot shouldn't fit "perfectly" upon initial donning of the boots in the shop. If you fit to what feels "comfy" at first wear, you're almost guaranteed to be in a boot that's too big. (However, if you've properly "shell fit" the boot, then this should be a fairly moot point.)

The basic rule of thumb: if the salesperson doesn't offer to properly measure your foot and/or shell fit, ask for the shop's boot expert. If nobody in the shop does shell fitting, find another shop that does. In all honesty, a shop isn't worth the brands it carries if it doesn't offer comprehensive boot fit.

Finding a new pair of boots is a long process, and shouldn't be something that's a "fast food" transaction. Having the right boots - ones the fit well and are well suited to your needs - is the best way to truly enjoying skiing, whether you're just starting or a seasoned expert.

Good luck!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy