Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mammoth

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to take my family to Mammoth next feb and would like to know how suitable it is for beginers and intermediates and any advice on where to stay.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On the "where to stay" point do a search as this has been discussed recently. Also try a post on epicski.com for some "local" input.

As ever it depends on how many in the party, what is important to you eg near slopes etc and how much you are willing to pay

This is the local visitors bureau to get you started

http://www.visitmammoth.com/

Mammoth caters for all levels. It is probably best for intermediates and above (it has some seriously steep stuff) but in a place that size there must be a lot for beginners as well. In my experience it is quiet during the week and much busier on weekends with an influx from LA, so during the week there should be plenty space for those who are learning
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was there last Easter for 10 days & I would say that there is plenty for every level there. There are some long mellow greens, loads of intermediate terrain and, if you happen to to be tired of living, there are some insane double blacks which drop in from the top ridge! It's a beautiful area & don't forget June Mountian 20 mins down the road - it's on the same lift pass & really is worth a day there.

It's all down to how much are willing to pay but you may want to check out the 'village' that they built - it has accomodation & a gondola up to the mountain. There are a few other hotels etc near the slopes but the rest is all in town & you would need to use a car or use the free bus service to get to the ski areas.

Also agree with Colin, it's pretty quiet during the week then LA arrives at the weekend! I was there over Easter but the queues were not too bad to be honest.

Fire away with any questions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies sounds like what we are looking for, just 1 question we have seen quotes that it is 5 hours from LA does that sound about right
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got there from the North but 5 hours from LA is probably about the max it would take I would think (as long as you don't hit a storm) + the scenery on the drive will be fantastic.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed at the Alpenhof Lodge, which is opposite the new village development. The gondola is directly opposite the hotel, as are bars, restaurants and shops - couldn't be better placed IMHO....skiing wise, as described above, there is plenty for all, and when the crowds arrive from LA at the weekend, head up to June for the day as it is empty (having said that, Mammoth was never busy and we never had to queue for any lifts anyway....)

It was a 5 hour drive from LA, but depending on your flight times, it may be worth looking to stay overnight before driving - we did an 11 hour flight, then drove, and didn't arrive until midnight, having been on the go for some 24 hours - as a result, we had big time jet lag for a couple fo days, which makes for interesting skiing at altitude
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We skiied in Mammoth about 9 or 10 years ago. We stayed in the Mammoth Mountain Inn, which is very comfortable and convenient but is (or was then) some way from anything else. There are a lot more hotels now than there were then. My recollection is that there's plenty of skiing to suit everyone, although I think that the higher lifts, serving the more challenging terrain, are quite often closed because of high winds.

The drive from LA is enjoyable and scenic, and I reckon 5 hours of actual driving time is about right. We stayed overnight in a hotel at LAX and had a leisurely drive up to Mammoth the following day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Five hours may be a bit tight but not excessively so. Maybe budget on 6 to allow for some traffic. We also stayed near LAX and drove up on a Sunday morning so it was pretty quiet but once you get further away from LA the speed limit drops to I think 60 and it is enforced, particularly in the small towns you pass through. We saw a number of radar traps and a number of people getting caught.......it looked like a nice little earner for the local sheriifs dept.

You would not want, in my opinion, to drive that journey after a flight from the UK. Get there, pick up the car, stay at an hotel at LAX and start off refreshed next day (given the 8 hour time difference you will be up early- LA time- anyway). Basically what you do then is get on the Interstate which runs by LAX (405 ) go north for a bit, turn right and keep going........it is a bit more than that but not much !!

Mapquest has this from LAX to Mammoth....315 miles and 5 hours 21 mins time

Maneuvers Distance Maps
1: Start out going EAST on WORLD WAY / CENTER WAY. <0.1 miles Map

2: Turn LEFT to take the CENTURY BLVD / CA-1 N / SEPULVEDA BLVD NORTH ramp. <0.1 miles Map

3: Take the CENTURY BLVD ramp. 0.2 miles Map

4: Merge onto W CENTURY BLVD. 1.4 miles Map

5: Take the I-405 N ramp toward SACRAMENTO. 0.5 miles Map

6: Merge onto I-405 N toward SANTA MONICA. 26.6 miles Map

7: Merge onto I-5 N. 3.0 miles Map

8: Merge onto CA-14 N toward PALMDALE / LANCASTER. 118.5 miles Map

9: CA-14 N becomes US-395 N. 160.9 miles Map

10: Take the CA-203 ramp toward MAMMOTH LAKES / DEVILS POSTPILE. 0.2 miles Map

11: Turn LEFT onto CA-203 W / MINARET RD. 2.8 miles Map

12: Turn LEFT onto OLD MAMMOTH RD. 0.4 miles Map

13: End at Mammoth Lakes Visitors Bureau:
437 Old Mammoth Rd # Y, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546, US Map

Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 21 minutes Total Est. Distance: 315.00 miles

As you see it is I 405 which becomes I 5, turn onto CA14 which becomes US395 then turn off at the Mammoth Lakes exit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy