Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chile

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi has anyone skied Valle Nevado Chile?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes skiied there last summer for four days. Purpose built resort so not terribly pretty but well organised pistes, pretty good lift system and OK hotels and restaurants. Apres ski doesn't give Verbier much to worry about, but then you can't ski down the side of a volcano in Verbier either. Drive up from Santiago is pretty interesting as well VERY winding road that has about 80 switchbacks on it.

Not sure I'd go there again just to ski - I understand Portillo has far better and more varied terrain - but if you are in that part of the world and want to experience a few days of southern hemisphere skiing then I would definitely recommend it. I'll try and dig out some of our photos and post them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
b.dudman, I have skied it many times - it is part of the three valleys of Chile and an area I would highly recommend - far more terrain than Portillo although that is also worth a visit if you have the time and are going that far. From Valle Nevado you can ski El Colorado and La Parva. La Parva is my favourite and has some very challenging off piste including a couloir called La Chimenea (The Chimney). There are good self catering apartments there and an excellent fondue restaurant called La Marmita de Pericles. Worth going via Buenos Aires for a bit of culture and a tango or two. Santiago is a great city and you can also visit one of the Chilean vineyards. Avoid July which is school holidays but August/September will be quiet and you will find many of the international teams training.
Another resort worth considering is Termas de Chillan - an hour's flight from Santiago. Am tempted to go back this summer.......the air fare is the most expensive part of the trip by far. Will try and post some pix.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Termas de Chillan is great. Lots of Americans ski down there.

Accomodation on the Hill at Valle Nevado is very expensive. I stayed down in Santiago and commuted up but you can get caught out in a storm (road closures)

Portillio , over rated but worth a visit if you have to .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am looking for 4-6 weeks this summer and its either Chile or NZ. The three valleys in Chile seems to be more like a European resort but does anyone know where the better skiing/snow is?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I always wait until there is a good base before booking - it is a long and expensive way to go if it is a poor snow year which can happen. The 3 valleys in Chile are NOT at all like Europe - if you go August/September there is no one around, you can ski what you can see, there are virtually no moguls as not enough people to create them! Runs are long, all above treeline and scenery is very impressive not to mention the brilliant sunsets caused by the pollution above Santiago. Have not been to NZ but am told they have good heliskiing. Also no language problem there. You need to speak some Spanish in Chile. Cheap place to stay is Farellones which is the original Chilean ski resort and is linked to the 3 valleys system.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skilegs wrote:
I always wait until there is a good base before booking .

Best advice, one I always take whereever I go.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

skilegs wrote:
I always wait until there is a good base before booking .

Best advice, one I always take whereever I go.

So do i just booked for 3 Valleys france next year Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would second that advice. DOnt book until you know there is decent base. Despite having a few good seasons recently The Andes are notoroius for un-predictable.
You never know they may have a European winter this season Sad Sad

If snow start falling in May it could be good Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
b.dudman, depending on your skiing level if you are going for 4-6 weeks purely skiing I think you might find the Three Valleys a bit restricted. We skiied for four days and covered most of the area. You can always go heliskiing but I would think that after two weeks you'll be pretty bored. If you are in that part of the world for that length of time then I'd be looking at a tour round - Portillo, Las Lenas and so on. If you are also planning to visit other areas in Chile then do not miss the Atacama desert. I would heartily recommend the Explora hotel there as well
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
b.dudman, Not sure what you require, but we saw the video of these trips and they were very different - looked an amzing experience.

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/resorts/chile.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy