Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski this weekend (Tarentaise area)

Poster: A snowHead
As documented elsewhere I'm off to La Rosiere this weekend Saturday-Tuesday and it looks like we might get dumped on... snowHead

If it is very snowy with wind and poor visibility high up I would imagine that La Ros won't be much fun, as
- apart from a couple of runs all of the area is above treeline
- the link to La Thuile will probably be closed? therefore blocking access to the trees on that side?

Therefore will we get better conditions/skiing by migrating to another nearby resort?
If so, where? Preferably with a reasonable area below treeline and plenty of powder possibilities between the trees. And not too far from La Ros (no more than 45 minutes drive, especially if it's snowing).

Possibilities seem to be:
- St Foy
- Villaroger/Le Pre

Is the snowbase below treeline (1500m-ish) very thin?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hd, The best run in La Ros - Ecudets/Fontaine Froide is currently closed (so says the website). I cant see it reopening with the weather that is forecast between now and when you go. It is also the only true tree lined run apart from La Foret. Another option is MArmottes Bas, but that may well shut looking at the forecast. Villaroger is North facing AIR but i dont think snow below 1500 is much good anywhere Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hd, Villaroger will give you the opportunity to ski in La Plagne 2000, or further afield throughout the Paradiski area if you like to clock up the K's - however, if the weather is grim, the Aiguille Rouge is often subject to poor flat light conditions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, hmmm, so it ain't looking all that good for us then if visibility is poor high up and there's not enough snow on lower runs anywhere...?

Guvnor, yes villaroger does give access to paradiski but read my original post. We won't be travelling far if it's dumping. We'll Just looking for a few tree runs to play on, where hopefully visibility would be ok.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hd, I said in another thread, take every opportunity to go to Italy. I got a workmate to text me at 9.00am every moring with the weather on the La Thuile webcam Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, will do, especially if there are some good tree runs over there, but I'm concerned that if it's dumping the link will be closed? And even if it isn't getting over there might be difficult due to poor visibility?

(all this is speculation of course as the forecast still needs to firm up for the weekend)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hd, The only reason to go to Villaroger is the 3 lifts which link you to La Plagne. There is basically no skiing there otherwise.....well, only a couple of runs, which take you back to the car park.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hd, You could try peisy nancroix (its low, easy to get to by car, bsm and then turn off left before aime as far as i remember about 45mins from la rosiere) and has bucket lift access to villandry where the paradiski cable car is there is a Large area of tree lined runs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guvnor, .... plus two good restaurants ...... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC, True - in fact, hd, do go to Villaroger, and tell Michel at Le Ferme I sent you (I'll collectr my commision when I'm back there on the 29th...)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
.......plus ...hd, ...if you are skiing down to Villaroger off-piste....watch out for low-flying washing lines ....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just want to revive this thread in view of the improved certainty of the forecast for the start of next week.

The current charts suggest that the northern french alps will get a significant dump on Monday maybe 20-30cm or more. Continuing on Tuesday... snowHead

Currently our plan for our 4 day trip this w/e is:

Saturday - Tignes (staying in the Chalet Chardons)
Sunday and Monday - La Ros (staying in the Cimes Blanches)

But for Tuesday we are undecided between:

1) La Ros; possibly not good since the link to Italy is likely to be closed, the upper slopes are limited and it could be a white-out, and there's not enough snowbase on the lower wooded runs such as fontaine froid.

2) St Foy; I've always been keen on a day there, and the map shows some wooded runs, but other Snowheads have suggested it wouldn't be the best option on a snowy day since the best runs are above the treeline.

3) Les Arcs, in the trees above Peisey?

Which option would fellow Snowheads recommend for Tuesday?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're looking for tree-lined pistes and some gentle off-piste in the trees I'd say that Les Arcs offer more opportunities than either La Ros or St Foy. There are options above Villaroger and Pesiey/Vallandry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, cheers for the info the peisey area looks tempting.

La Ros normally gets the biggest dumps of all the resorts in the region right? So if we want maximum pow would we be best off staying there on Tuesday? (assuming visibility is ok above treeline)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Second rob@rar, there, Peisey/Vallandry best in area for tree lined runs
snow conditions
hd wrote:
As documented elsewhere I'm off to La Rosiere this weekend Saturday-Tuesday and it looks like we might get dumped on... snowHead

If it is very snowy with wind and poor visibility high up I would imagine that La Ros won't be much fun, as
- apart from a couple of runs all of the area is above treeline

Therefore will we get better conditions/skiing by migrating to another nearby resort?
If so, where? Preferably with a reasonable area below treeline and plenty of powder possibilities between the trees. And not too far from La Ros (no more than 45 minutes drive, especially if it's snowing).

Possibilities seem to be:
- St Foy

One year on, another snowy March trip imminent, same dilemma, just replace La Ros with Val d'Isere.

If the mega dumpage and resultant poor visibility arrives as forecasted would it be advisable to make the drive down the road to St Foy most days next week?

Confused
latest report
hd, So what did you do last year?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
So what did you do last year?

We stayed in La Ros. It mega dumped for two days non stop and the resultant poor vis did limit our enjoyment of the pow somewhat. (apart from one golden hour when the sun came out...)

We couldn't be arsed with the length of the journey along the main roads from LR to SF (45 mins?), and the back route was (probably) impassable. However La Daille (where we are staying this time round) is only 20 mins from SF, non?
ski holidays
hd, I would just stay where you are. Plenty of trees in Val D'Isere.
snow report
hd, St Foy must be a good 1/2 an hour from La Daille, if not more like 45 mins. Frosty the Snowman, is right, stay where you are and enjoy snowHead
snow report
hd, Villaroger could be an alternative choice for you if the weather is poor on Tuesday. With new snow there is plenty of off piste available and you can connect into the Les Arcs main area above 2000 if you get bored ( you wont ).
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I would just stay where you are. Plenty of trees in Val D'Isere.

CP wrote:
stay where you are and enjoy

OK - so where are the best tree runs in ValD?
snow report
La Daille (handy Very Happy ) and Le Fornet (t'other end) Very Happy
snow conditions
hd, it looks as if it might clear a bit today we can see across to Les Arcs, I'm pretty sure that Fontains Froide and Les Ecudets will open today but it doesn't really matter there's so much fresh snow that everywhere is off-piste.
latest report
hd, everyone here seems to have a Les Arcs fixation. Peisey? Vallandry? Villaroger? Forget them.
The only place to go in this sort of weather is Montchavin. Easy drive up - the Frenchies are good at keeping the roads open - and a wonderful mountainside of lovely tree runs with excellent restaurants to keep you going. snowHead
latest report
Well over half a meter of fresh snow in the 3 valleys, it's sunny, and the roads are fairly clear Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy