Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hair lair there - first post in a long time .. I must be feeling inspired by the wintery weather here in Edinburgh!

I've been meaning to go to Canada for ages now and this season we are definitely doing it. Planning 2 weeks end of feb / start of march and want to book it in the next few weeks. Had been thinking probably Lake Louise or Whistler and am swaying towards the latter. Requirements are - good ski school and cruiser runs for the beginner mrs, and anything and everything for me! The budget is ok - doesn't need to be too stingy but similarly the lap of luxury is not necessarily required either!

Any recommendations on which resort and why?
Anyone been to both and have a preference?
What about accomodation - whats the best all-round hotel??
Any other advice / opinions also welcomed.

Cheers
Ad.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes (on all counts!) - see other threads on exactly that to save me writing it again again again Razz snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sx-9's and lange booties by chance!!?? cool - ok I'll go digging .....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep that's the one (though comprex is trying to talk me into binning the SX9s) snowHead

try the following....

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1485&highlight=whistler

or http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1313&highlight=whistler

if I see someone there next season with all the same gear as me, I'll know it's you Madeye-Smiley snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 21-09-04 21:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Adam Holt, I've booked some great accomodation in Whistler on www.alluradirect.com. Also BA have seats on offer to Vancouver at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
see the posts on the threads mentioned by stuarth. I have been looking for my trip next year and as Fox said in one of his posts, Ski Independence offer good deals, so far I cant beat their price by doing it myself on the net. Which hotel depends on how many of you there are, what ages, what you want and what you are prepared to pay. There are 3 or 4 hotels where the lifts are more or less at the front door, unsurprisingly they are pricey, others you have to walk a bit, they are cheaper, others are in Creekside which isaway from the main village(but by no means out in the boondocks) and they are cheaper still. If money is no object the Fairmont or the Westin are likely the ones to go for (Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz love the Fairmont according to the local paper when I was last there), if your sights are a bit lower then give some more info and you will likely get a steer (or go to alluradirect if you are looking for a condo)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry, just reread your post and I see it is likely you plus mrs. I have stayed in the Delta Village Suites a couple of times. Nice people, good rooms (go for the 1 bedroom suite if you can), in the village so plenty shops/restaurants nearby (including a decent one with a bar attached to the hotel), ski shop on site if you need to hire(nice people there as well), good pool/hot tub, concierge can arrange lift tickets etc if you e mail in advance, transfer shuttle from airport drops at the door. Downside is a 5/10 min walk to the lifts....but I managed with kids so it should be a dawdle for you.
Ski school great....see prior posts. Try Ski Esprit and/or the Dave Murray camp for you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colin

you forgot to mention that there is free village shuttle that can pick you up right outside Delta village suites and drop you off near the lifts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AH, for flights try `Zoom`. Significantly cheaper than BA.

The ticketing system is flexible so you can pay for extras like meals, additional leg room, massage etc. - or just go for the basic package.

They fly to Vancouver from London and Manchester.

Whistler ski school is excellent

I`d second the alluradirect website for accommodation. Try Larry & Wendy MacDougal at Bear Lodge. Centrally located, reasonably priced, superbly equipped & Larry & Wendy are v. helpful.
snow report
 brian
brian
www.flyzoom.com

They also do a direct Glasgow to Vancouver. A return flight at the moment is approx 350 quid/person.

They fly on Thursdays though, which may make accomodation difficult ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beetle, normally yes, but BA have them in their sale, much easier if you have to connect from a local aiport too,. the apartment we've rented is Glacier's Reach in VIllage North.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, where abouts are the BA sale price tickets to vancouver? I could only find ones to Vancouver on sale price up to the end of october on their website.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
L.Louise is great, excellent skiing at all levels. No nightlife worth mentioning, although a great (but quiet) bar and restaurant at L.Louise Station.

Banff is well worth considering. The local skiing (Sunshine and Norquay) is excellent and L.Louise is close (by Canadian standards); there's a ticket covering all 3. The town is pleasant, fantastic location, good bars and restaurants and (I'm told) clubs. It's a good deal cheaper than Whistler, if that matters.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whistler - pinched from another site

we went in January 01 with a company called Ski Miguel (poor admin., excellent catered chalet holiday). Transport in, in the morning and left skis/boots in centre overnight (well worth it for 3 CAD per night). Taxis in the evening a bit of a pain but reasonable cost.

Weather: in the space of 10 days we got pretty much every sort of weather, which I believe is not unusual (a Canadian ski school director told me that). It can also get slushy lower down and/or rain because the base isn't that high.

The mountains: we tended to graduate towards Blackcomb, has a more 'rugged' feel to it. Having said that the other in bounds off-piste we did was on Whistler. Off the Harmony chair turn left and after a short distance head left into Glacier bowl (it is marked on the map). Also if you turn left off the gondola there was after only about 100-200m a route of to the right (this was the first run we did in lessons).

Don't worry about bland runs, contrary to the perception over here of over graded North American skiing, there are plenty of serious marked runs. Peak chair on Whistler mtn important for this but also prone to closure if windy. I did three days of lessons with a frustrated extreme skier for an instructor. There is also an 'extremely Canadian' option above that, which must be exactly what it says on the tin. Book ahead if you want to do that, I was too late.

They do start early so base lifts/gondola can be busy early on but queues well organised and move fairly quickly.

Bars: as you arrive back at the base area there are two obvious apres ski places: Dublin Gate on the right and Longhorn on the left, both absolutely rammed. If you head down the pedestrian bit between them and bear right there was The Amsterdam on the right and our favoured bar, called something like 'Tigra' on the left, great nachos and you could usually get seats. If you head through the arch of the square there, then I think Tommy Africa's was round to the left. Turn right after The Amsterdam (still pedestrianised) and there was a nightclub place on the right, busy and live band, can't remember the name of the place and another one further on, on the left down some stairs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
do a search on extremely canadian as there are various comments on that in various posts, from those who have done it the reaction is uniformly positive, likewise Ski Esprit and Dave Murray camp (details on the www.whistler-blackcomb.com site). Dont go expecting Alpine Sunshine, you might get it, in which case you chose your dates well, the more likely scenario is a bit of everything as suggested above. Avoid American holidays if you can on your dates, hordes stream over the border because (1) it is cheaper than the US due to exchange rates and (2) the drinking age is 19 as opposed to 21 in the US. Weekends will be a lot busier than weekdays. You can eat out as well as you like or go to Macdonalds, the choice is there, with lots in between.
ski holidays
Just Booked for Banff in March with airtours, going as a single person bed and breakfast for £659.00 for 10 days departure date March 2nd. Lift pass seems a little high though advertised at £240 in the brochure, but with the Canadian dollar at 2.19 to the pound it may be cheaper now if you take exchange rates into acccount. Laughing
latest report
The lift pass is high there, especially if you have the three ski areas (which you have to!) which includes the ski bus. We're going out the 9th for 14 days so will probably miss you - have fun snowHead
latest report
Adam,

I highly recommend Kimberley, BC. You'll have a great time at that time of year. You'll miss the crowds if you come at the end of February and will be able to ski your face off. Great value and only 1 hour and twenty minutes away from Fernie.

Dare to try something different - I guarantee you won't be dissappointed. Check www.kimberleycondos.com for more info.

Kieran
ski holidays
I didn't realise the dollar had dropped so much. I bought £200 sterling worth back in the summer the rate was $2.48!
snow report
NickW wrote:
Bars: as you arrive back at the base area there are two obvious apres ski places: Dublin Gate on the right and Longhorn on the left, both absolutely rammed.

If you go with the ski esprit groups, you go for "apres" after each day-long lesson with the rest of the ski esprit groups (lessons vary from level 1 up to the level where you jump off cornices with some kind of style). They book out a pub/restaurant so you don't have to worry about not finding a seat and they give you pizza/nachos etc too. They also do a 'fun' race on the 3rd day and video it so you can all laugh about it in the bar later on. Shocked Laughing

They have some fantastic teachers in their ski school too. snowHead

S
snow report
Snowy wrote:

If you go with the ski esprit groups, you go for "apres" after each day-long lesson with the rest of the ski esprit groups (lessons vary from level 1 up to the level where you jump off cornices with some kind of style). They book out a pub/restaurant so you don't have to worry about not finding a seat and they give you pizza/nachos etc too. They also do a 'fun' race on the 3rd day and video it so you can all laugh about it in the bar later on. Shocked Laughing

They have some fantastic teachers in their ski school too. snowHead

S

and the good thing with group apres, is you have the oportunity for a group hangover the next day, so no-one feels bad for holding the group up or declining the moguls (definitely not good for curing a hangover!) snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
stuarth wrote:
and the good thing with group apres, is you have the oportunity for a group hangover the next day, so no-one feels bad for holding the group up or declining the moguls (definitely not good for curing a hangover!) snowHead Toofy Grin

...and if you buy a few drinks for your instructor too, you could have a nice relaxing day of skiing the next day if they were pushing it a bit hard earlier that day. Little Angel Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy