Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 3 - 10 March

Poster: A snowHead
Tour Operator:

Skitopia

On the whole the staff were pleasant and helpful, especially our Rep Cassy. There was some confusion with our ski hire, as we’d decided to upgrade from the ones that were offered to us by Skitopia and they were unsure of the costing of this despite the fact that we’d been given the information from HQ. However all was sorted and everyone was happy.

Cost:

£499 including, passes, ski and boot hire, booked online 3 weeks pror to travelling.

Travel:

Aestraeus airlines from Gatwick to Chambery. Chambery airport was a nightmare (too small to cope with the large number of flights and travellers), my SO vowed NEVER to fly there again! We would though if we were going budget late booking again.

Aestraeus were very good, we were a little delayed on both trips, but as we were adequately catered for with a hot meal, muffins, yogart, tea/coffee and fresh OJ we were happy.

Accommodation:

The Adret Hotel ** , Chantmerle.

The Hotel was basic to say the least, the bedrooms in particular needing much TLC. Our room did not have wardrobe, or hangers, but I did have a bookcase (but I only bought 2 books). I asked for some hangers and was immediately given some, and just had to hang my clothes from wherever I could.

The food was at best OK, and on occasions bad, once or twice lacking in quantity or quality. The chef was in need of some basic cooking skills, however, the wine flowed and we were able to forgive them the food.

The lounge/bar area was comfortable enough and was popular in the evenings, but it was lacking in adequate seating.

Skiing:

We had some great skiing this week, and covered just about all the pistes over the whole area. On the whole the pistes were in good condition and uncrowded, and all were open. The Luc Alphand, however, was severely mashed up and moguled by the end of the day and was extremely hard work. There seemed to be plenty of off-piste which was well tracked and moguled, however, we only managed a few cut throughs and a Brut de Neige.

Mountain restaurants :

Chalet de Serre Blanc - basic food with a complimentary coffee – the men enjoyed the views rolling eyes

Peyra-Juana – Very small and intimate – the food was good, and staff very friendly.

Chalet de Pralong – Large, new looking restaurant overlooking Briancon, with good value self service and no queues.

L'Echaillon - It took us a while to find this one, but it was worth it. The food and service were very good.

Café Soleil – Nice pizzas etc, but I can imagine this one getting very busy, we were lucky and arrived early – my one regret not trying the very tempting desserts.

Restaurants:

We only ate out once at Le Loup Blanc. The food was excellent, and well presented.

Trips:

Montgenevre/Claviere

We had some fantastic skiing here and spent most of our day in Claviere, stopping for lunch at Monsoleil and it was well worth it, the food was great, and excellent value compared with the French restaurants . . . eg veal stew with potato wedges €7 and the portions were large. Nice puds too. The pistes were uncrowded and in good condition, having had some snowfall the night before.

Summary

We had a great week, and would definitely opt for Serre Chevalier again as the skiing ticked all of our boxes, though the towns/villages aren’t as picturesque as I’d imagined them to be. Chantmerle seemed pretty quiet, with no lively Apres ski to be found at 10.00 pm, but maybe we were just looking in the wrong places.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 11-03-07 16:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IncogSkiSno, ....very good report.....! Glad you enjoyed Serre Chevalier overall.

....although I didn't stay there, I ventured there with JT, GrahamN, for a few days when La Grave was shut down. Completely different to what I perceived the place to be. Fantastic variety of skiing.

One aspect though which I did not like, was the attitude in certain Mountain Restaurants. One is completely off my Christmas Card List and in a very Black book ...... Chalet something or other....just as well the name escapes me at the moment, or there would be a serious rant... Toofy Grin
JT & GrahamN, will verify that I was 'mildly' upset by a Cretinous Git, but to their credit they followed my highly principled stand, by leaving without eating - much to my later dismay when I landed my buddies onto the back of a 50 minute queue in the next restaurant, followed by a 20 minute queue on the next subsequent lift. I am now making a vodoo doll entitled ..."Cretinous Git" ......

Serre Chevalier seems to have an entirely different climate to La Grave, which on two days was shut with rain, wind, whiteout, etc, whereas 30 km away in Serre Chevalier, we were treated to blue skies and happy days..... Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC, We did have a very foggy day too, and it just happened to be the day we decided to go to Monetiere - quite scarey !

I am intrigued to know which restaurant the Cretin was in ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, ....I shall look it up on the on-line piste map.........
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
.....hiss....spit...hiss.......CHALET DE FREJUS....hiss some more, ......etc, etc....... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CHALET DE FREJUS - nope, I never had the pleasure of that one!

BTW I forgot to mention that we saw an eagle Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IncogSkiSno, how many trips have you had now rolling eyes snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pistenbully, Toofy Grin - we had 3 last year, 2 the year before that . . .

My SO is moaning it was too many trips in a short space of time, got a feeling it'll be less next year Sad . . .

How can you have too many skiing trips ? Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

My SO is moaning it was too many trips in a short space of time

Bin him Very Happy . A nice report on the eating establishments. Just how I like it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, you cant have too many .. i done my report ... park city... awsome...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, in the same way as you can have 'too much money' or indeed 'too much sex'.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, was that the one just off cote chevalier lift with it's own little run to it?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, just space them out a bit more next season wink . Start with the PSB and end at the esob and you have nearly 6 months in between to space out a couple of others.

Good to see that you didn't have your usual jinx on the weather on this trip snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pistenbully, Oh I can't find it - could you post me the link please - or someone else if you're not around?

Ray Zorro, Yes well . . . you may get away with that, but I wouldn't Confused

Frosty the Snowman, Thank you your lardiness Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno,
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25305&highlight=
ski holidays
stevew, ..the Chalet de Frejus ..... hiss,....spit, ..... hiss, etc ..... is at the bottom of the Vallons de la Cucumelle - looking at a piste map, it is to the right of the Frejus chair? from Villaneuve....
snow conditions
BernardC, part of a little village? My mate liked the look of it we were told there was an hours wait, we pratted around a bit and alos decided how we could get back to it ... two hours later got in, limited menu, but nice food and expensive, got served relativeley quickly my mates decided to do a long lunch of it so I did a few loops and then met up with them on the way back to Le Monetier. Same place?
ski holidays
stevew,

Sounds the same place. the staff...probably not the owners... would not allow us to eat at about 10 empty tables and told us to wait. They weren't that bothered about finding us a place either, so we went elsewhere. The food looked quite nice...obviously didn't get to taste it, but the staff's attitiude made us not want to bother with it again.

I would bother with the skiing of Serre C again though. Lots of nice interesting things if you are looking
ski holidays
BernardC, only ever stopped for coffee there in goodness knows how many trips. I suspect the 10 empty tables may have been for the pisteurs or the ski instructors. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont,

No explaination or nothing... only a surly attitude and general disdain, I'm afraid. Very poor from our POV
snow report
JT, That was unfortunate, we had very friendly service everywhere we went.

How long were you there, and did you meet up with chris ?
ski holidays
BernardC, yes in recollection they did have us waiting for 5 mins to sort out the table and did seem a little "laid back" about that sort of thing, but then this is France you expected to be served at the pace they want to serve you at not the pace you want!
snow conditions
stevew, ..... I have lived in France for many years and embrace the "Laid Back" position (Maybe I should have re-phrased that particular statement....)

.....this was completely different - I don't tolerate rudeness, or "Hey we don't give a damm" attitude - so we taught them a lesson and left without eating....ha..ha...ha that showed them.....

Helen , ...it was actually quite late in lunch terms ....about 14:00. It appeared that the 10 or so tables were cleaned after lunch & they didn't want another three souls to serve and possibly be late getting away themselves. About 16 of our Ski Club buddies were finishing their lunch at the place. They could easily have said, "Sorry, we're closed for lunch" , or as they were French, "Desole, nous sommes ferme" Toofy Grin

...in which case I wouldn't be hissing & spitting and christening Vodoo dolls now ......

.... I bet that guy has a SORE bum ......I'm using 6" nails ....... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno,

Spent 4 days travelling over the Col as LG was closed and Serre C had more convivial conditions. Chris met us twice to point out a few things and we had a very good time there.
We didn't get beyond Monetier and Villenueve as there were plenty of things there for us and with regular fresh bits as well.

BernardC, has posted a few pics of our excursions in the Mediazone, I think
snow report
BernardC, how awful, and I always say how friendly everyone is out there. IncogSkiSno, did you eat all your dinner up in the Peyra Juana, or did they have to feed it to you? wink
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Laughing Just about, but then I am a greedy pig, especially when skiing. Toofy Grin
snow report
I'd agree the whole valley was freindly...LG especially so, its seems you are a member of a little club, which for a 1st timer there, that makes a mark.
SC is good as well which makes our experience at that Restro even more odd. Really enjoyed the skiing SC but there appeared to be a lot of skiing loonies about. Now, I don't know how local this is, or bad it is, but I feel, this season, was about as mad as I can recall on slope. And most of my ski friends are saying the same. Maybe it is because I have spent time in piste-oriented reosrts a bit more this year, but I have seen carnage on the 4'oclock runs. Ants everywhere..!!
snow report
JT, the Luc Alphand in particular is always 'carnage' at 4pm. You were also there during French holidays.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont,

The run was the 4 o'clock down to Villenuve..not sure of its name. And to be fair, it was the French holiday time, indeed
ski holidays
JT, I will admit to downloading quite often when I am across at that side of the resort in the afternoon. Not so bad in Monetier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy