Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smelly Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I know this ones been done before on that other place, but I cant look at the archives anymore, can I Evil or Very Mad

Got home the other week and left my boots to dry out, which they now have. But they are still a little bit on the whiffey side. Embarassed

So, I am wondering, should I just ignore it and put them back into storage till next year (unless I sneak in a long weekend somewhere) or should I try and take out the inners and give them a wash Question

I know you lot will come up trumps for me again Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sir David said on the other side, first remove the liners and then wash them:

Quote:

Personally I use an all-purpose anti-bacterial detergent. I have never seen manufacturer's advice on this, so I suggest you obtain it if you want to be sure. Ever since boot manufacturers went over to all-synthetic boot liners, as opposed to leather-lined etc., I don't think there is much risk in giving boot liners a good soaking (my Tecnicas have had several flushings like this) but I can't give you definitive advice on this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could always try a quick squirt of Fabreze or similar.

I always take my inners out to dry - they've never got whiffy, so maybe that's the secret?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone I know who is a moderator on this site had this problem in Saalbach (the gloves were even worse!!!! Embarassed - tried antibacterial foot spray and half a bottle of aftershave to no avail; actually made it worse so don't recommend those two only cured by the purchase of a new pair of Killy gloves) anyway back to PB and smelly boots - I am reliably informed that bicarbonate of soda sprinkled in the liner helps - leave in 24 hours then empty out and brush any residue out with a clothes brush or similar. Although have never had the need to try it myself - should work though - Let me know if it works and I'll use it on his next time!! Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about wrapping your feet in clingfilm before putting your socks on. Keep your liners from getting rank and you could get away with wearing the same socks all week.

I have another trick you can use to wear the same underpants for a month too.

Does anyone else have problems finding a girlfriend, or is it just me?? Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I put the blame of the smell firmly down to having to rent nasty boots for a few days last year after Excel Airways forgot to pack my boots on the plane. Skullie It somehow got transferred to my previously sweet smelling footwear. Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Confession time....I've got horribly smelly feet and matching boots! Embarassed

Try Sneaker balls - just don't forget to take them out before putting your boots on, very uncomfortable.

I've also invested in DryZones which dry the linings out in no time flat - doesn't give the smell time to brew! Only drawback is they're quite heavy to take away.

I've been told that Febrese doesn't work!

Prevention is better than cure....soak feet in warm water with a few drops of cypress oil every few weeks or so - this really works!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I normally put some foot talc into my boots each morning before getting into them. Also make sure they dry overnight. You don't need to invest in heaters or anything, just a simple fan blowing air into them. This also allows the air to circulate better than having something inside the boots.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie wrote:
Someone I know who is a moderator on this site had this problem in Saalbach - I am reliably informed that bicarbonate of soda sprinkled in the liner helps - leave in 24 hours then empty out and brush any residue out with a clothes brush or similar. :

If you think you can keep me out of my ski boots for 24 hours, you can forget it Exclamation
After all, with my size 13 feet, there's a bit more to smell than most other people's boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My son has a smelly glove problem, but not a smelly boot probelm. The gloves were so bad in Canada we drove to Lake Louise with the windows open, and threw them in the bin when we got there. Had to buy new ones of course, but it was worth it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie wrote:
Someone I know who is a moderator on this site had this problem in Saalbach (the gloves were even worse!!!! Embarassed - tried antibacterial foot spray and half a bottle of aftershave to no avail; actually made it worse so don't recommend those two only cured by the purchase of a new pair of Killy gloves) :

I know the feeling. 6 of us shared a taxi back fro the slopes one evening, and I got some serious abuse. They were a decent pair of North Face gloves as well. Had to buy a new pair, as I couldn't get the stench of my hands at lunchtime.
I've brought them home, they've been through the washing machine, and are fine now. Two pairs to stink out next time Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After you have cleaned your linners you could try Merino wool based ski socks. Wool is better at temperature regulation and does not stink link man made fabrics. Merino is much finer than traditional wool, and is technically more complex than synthetics so it doesn't itch either.

http://ndnd.essortment.com/smellyfeet_rcvu.htm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Febreze anti-bacterial is brilliant. My boots were totally anti-social last summer, so bad that everyone in the changing area knew about (and avoided) them. A young lad recommended it, his mum buys it for his trainers. I took the inners out, then sprayed them and the boots and let the whole lot dry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ( and my fellow chalet dwellers ) really suffered from this problem this January, whereas I have ( knowingly ) had this before. I am going to try all of these suggestions otherwise the boots will have to go. Man, they were mingin', i put them up in the loft and I swear I can still smell them Exclamation Exclamation
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very old cure but it does work . . . pee into your liners/socks/gloves leave for 5 min to kill the bacteria, then rinse and wash normally and to back it up, pee on your feet in the shower.
It sounds disgusting to our modern lives but it is sanitary and it’ll keep your boots fresh and your feet clear of fungal infections.
Anyone want to know how the cheap leather used in gloves etc. is tanned? Just don’t chew your thumb!
ski holidays
That's true - I can back up what Masque is saying. Was told to wee on my feet in the shower by a doctor when I had something funny happening to them!
snow report
Hmm. Never had the problem before. Have now. Forgot to take the liners out of the boots at the end of last season. Boots now smell of eau de cat pee. Never heard of the "all-purpose anti-bacterial detergent" David refers to - can someone advise a brand? I have been thinking of putting the liners and foot beds through the wool cycle of the washing machine. Would that be harmful?
latest report
Nick, Personally I use Fabreze anti-bacterial. Has significantly improved my popularity in the boot room !
latest report
Timberwolf, thanks. I shall be off to buy some today Very Happy
snow conditions
Nick Zotov, I get very smelly gloves and I've found that rinsing them through with Milton sterilising fluid works really well. It's the stuff that apparently gets used to clean baby feeding kit, so it's very safe.

I may have to try with old spare boots as they were pretty rank at the weekend!
ski holidays
I must just be lucky. Used the previous version of the DryZones last season and didn't get smelly boots at all (considering it was more than 4 months in a motor-home, I think that's quite good going!). I now use the DryZones and they seem to work just fine too.
ski holidays
Ah the smelly glove problem - I thought my son was abnormal (maybe he is? - sorry Tom Laughing ) but I have NEVER smelt anything as rank as his gloves (apart from his boots). I was his gloves (haven't tried the liners) in NikWax techwash, this does the trick. Also it is designed for microporous fabrics - a lot of soap/detergents will reduce the effectiveness of the fabric resulting in even smellier gloves!
snow conditions
Peeing in the boots is the classic military cure-all for boot-related problems. It's what every drill sergeant tells a new batch of squaddies.

Personally, I dry out my liners each day with the help of the hotel hair-dryer (don't do this if somone wants to use the bathroom in the next hour or so, and you need to keep a close eye on the process: overheating can kill the hairdryer if it doesn't have an automatic cutout). (Not to mention the possibility of setting fire to your boots). I also sprinkle Mycil athletes' foot powder in the liners.

For gloves, mine have removable liners, which means that simply rinsing them out each evening restores their condition.
snow report
Fill a net stocking with Charcoal & leave overnight or longer.
ski holidays
Quote:

Never heard of the "all-purpose anti-bacterial detergent" David refers to

I've bought it in Sainsburys. It's in a blue bottle, from memory. I think it's called Microban.
latest report
David Goldsmith, Hmm just bought Febreze. But I rather like the idea of washing the liners properly, if it doesn't ruin them. Do you put your liners on wool cycle in a washing machine - or soak them in the sink?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy