Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1080 skis for touring...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all, has anyone got a view as to whether 1080 skis are any good for ski touring? I have some 171's and they are light, good in powder, not too wide and easy to turn quickly. Before I get my new skins cut to fit these I just want to check that they are not completely wrong for the job.

As you can tell, I am a ski touring novice...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowmonkey wrote:
Afternoon all, has anyone got a view as to whether 1080 skis are any good for ski touring? I have some 171's and they are light, good in powder, not too wide and easy to turn quickly. Before I get my new skins cut to fit these I just want to check that they are not completely wrong for the job.

As you can tell, I am a ski touring novice...

I've seen them mounted with touring bindings, and why not? They are probably better than my Atomic TG10 touring skis. I'm just wondering how tall you are compared to the skis. 171 would say to me you are around 175cm max for touring use.

Shaped skins are a good idea, don't cut them too close to the edges as you still want your edges to grip when making traverses although the shaped nature of the 1080 means you probably will lack some edge contact anyway.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info davidof, my one concern is that 1080s aren't heavy and rock solid enough to power through dodgy conditions. They can flap about a bit. However, am I right in thinking that you wouldn't want a pair of heavy skis on a tour because what goes down has to go back up again...?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowmonkey,
Quote:
However, am I right in thinking that you wouldn't want a pair of heavy skis on a tour because what goes down has to go back up again...?

Indeed - you want light weight to get back up that hill. I carried my 1080s uphill strapped onto my pack pretty easily, and I never find they flap much at moderate speeds. The 1080 Foil are much better than the earlier 1080 from this respect..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowmonkey, well, you can tour on heavy skis but it'll tire you out much more quickly. if you'r eonly touring for an hour or two from the top of a lift, this may not be too much of an issue. on longer tours it could be.

The only downsides of twin tips for touring (IMO) are:

1. if you like your skins to clip to the ski at the tail, it can be a bit awkward. i actually don't think a tail clip is necessary at all but lots of people like them

2. sometimes it's handy to drive the tail of the ski into the snow. for example, if you want to set up an anchor for an abseil/lower. skis with flat tails go into the snow much more cleanly and solidly
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'm just wondering how tall you are compared to the skis. 171 would say to me you are around 175cm max for touring use.

Hi davidof, what is the rull of thumb for ski length when touring? Longer or shorter than downhill skis? I am 5'10" and my normal downhill skis are a fair bit longer than these 1080s...

Thanks,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowmonkey, I ski 1080 foils for off piste at 174, - and am the same height as you -and have seen a few people with touring bindings on them. On the few occaisons when I have needed touring gear I usually hire 170s, B2 or similar. I cannot say there is any science to that but am not sure you need the length as much for touring. Intersting question - a definitive answer would be appreciated by me too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy