Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My boots - size

Poster: A snowHead
Further to my previous posting, My existing boots, which I have had for 4 years are indeed far too big.

I went to two ski boot shops today where they measured my feet. I was told by one that my ski boot size is 25.5 and the other one told me that 25.5 is also fine but with some liner stretch in the toe.

I bought my existing boots 4 years ago and they are a size 28.5!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
purely out of curiosity.....what is your UK shoe size?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
petemillis, My UK shoe size is 7.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blinkin' 'ell - how did you end up in 28.5s? Watch out though, SmallZooKeeper will be along in a minute to point out that he would get you into a 24 Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
28.5 is about a UK11!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
petemillis, Did you read what Foxy just said? wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
28.5 is about a UK11!

I know, tell me about it, both myself and my partner could have skied in the one pair of boots!! The problem is when I bought them, I had only skied once before (my first ever ski holiday was in March 2003 and I bought the boots in January 2004) - so I was a bit naive about the whole thing. I honestly do not know how the guy managed to sell me those size of boots. They cost £90 in a sale, so I am not too bothered about the cost factor as I have used them since January 2004 and they have paid for themselves. As far as the safety factor goes, its been purely down to luck that I haven't broken my ankle or anything else!!

From experience, I am a bit more wise now and could not believe the attention and information I got this morning when I went to Ellis-Brigham.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 10-03-07 15:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I sent you a PM a few days or a week ago regarding boot fitting. I was looking for some advice as I specifically set aside this weekend and next weekend - did you get it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jb1970, I got your post telling me you thought you boots were too big. It would seem that they are, how can i help?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I am looking for some general advice such as: What should I be looking for when trying them on, How do I know that they are the correct fit, How do I know they are the boots for me, etc.

I went to two shops today and they both said that I am a size 25.5, although the second shop initially said 26.5, but then said that 25.5 was better. I was told that, when trying on ski boots, you should "size down" first of all because, after they have "bedded" in, they increase volume by about 10-15%.

My UK size is 7.

Thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970, You obviously enjoy skiing, the boots seem to be miles too big. I would suggest going to see a well respected bootfitter and get the job done right. May not be perfect, but chances are it will be boatloads better than boots 3 sizes too big
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, Yep, best i can tell you is as Frosty the Snowman, has said. Find yourself a Bootfitter and open up the descussion with them. Without seeing your feet there is very little i can say other than that. The Bootfitting issue is a broad subject an d so much depends on interpretation and expierence of your fitter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970 wrote:
Further to my previous posting, My existing boots, which I have had for 4 years are indeed far too big.

I went to two ski boot shops today where they measured my feet. I was told by one that my ski boot size is 25.5 and the other one told me that 25.5 is also fine but with some liner stretch in the toe.

I bought my existing boots 4 years ago and they are a size 28.5!!!

I bet you had a funny rattling in the boot. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970,
You could just try putting fertiliser in the boots and maybe your feet would grow a bit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
petemillis, Did you read what Foxy just said? wink

Yeah, I read what Foxy said - but isn't a 28.5 a UK 9.5 or US 10.5? What's the conversion? 2+8+0.5 = US 10.5, US 10.5 - 1 = UK 9.5.

OK I know you guys know best and and my size 10 foot shoehorned into a 27.5 XWave9 just about. But when I only ski 2 weeks or so per year, plus some time at XScape, what is the point of having to ski uncomfortably in the boots for 4 weeks before things start to become bearable - that's 2 years of uncomfortable skiing. And why wouild I want to pay £XXX for boot customising on a boot that's too small when I can get something well fitting out of the box? My foot is a UK 10 so as far as I can tell I have only sized down perhaps half a size over my trainers, but there is no slop at all with the 28.5 Diablo Magma - just quite a nice close fit all around the foot with the liners out, and a comfortable snug fit with the liners in and on 1st and 2nd positions on the catches. Toes touch end of boot when uprights and pull back slightly when flexed, and my toes and forefoot aren't getting beaten up which is bliss..

Honestly, I've got no beef with what you're saying, and if I was racing and wanted the tightest performance fit I could get then I agree, starting with a boot too small and making it fit would give that with little chance of the linings packing out and the boot becoming sloppy. Same maybe if I was a seasonaire and wanted boots to last for a whole season or two. But I change boots every 3 years or less (obviously due to change in fashionable colours Smile ) and I can't see a boot packing out too much with the amount of skiing I manage to do. Basically, all I want is to be able to put a well fitting boot that works well onto my foot and ski without mucking about to get it comfy!
snow report
The point of having a boot that becomes comfortable after a 4 week period is that after that 4 week period the boot has settled and will stay that way for the rest of it's life, it's life now being significantly elongated due to appropriate sizing. A boot that feels comfortable out of the box........................blah, blah, blah. Cool
ski holidays
blah, blah, blah, that's why I said I had no beef with a small boot for anyone who intends to use their boots for many many weeks. But for someone who might ski a couple of weeks each year and change boots every 2 to 3 years then there seems no point in 4 or more (it's taken at least 5 or 6 on my XWaves) of discomfort. I'll bet there are people with ski boots 10 years old who downsized too much because that's what they thought they had to do, and their boots still haven't settled down because they don't get to ski enough. At the end of the day, flogging boots after a couple of years can get a fairly decent bit of money back to go towards new boots, and it still works out cheaper than hiring. Guess it's all horses for courses - but two sides to every story - blah, blah, blah - got to finish cooking the brekkie wink Laughing
latest report
petemillis, Correct fitting, footbeds and liner choice will put 2-3 weeks onto a new shell, we couldn't sell anyone the right size boot without putting them through the 1/2 hour of agonizing compression in order to get the boot to an acceptable state to ski in, after a couple of return visits to perfect minor presure points and away you go, no need to waste 4 weeks in agony. Cool
snow conditions
Could this be a source of confusciousness - a 28.5 mondopoint shell is a 27.5cm foot length shell. So from that perspective then I am in the 27.5 shell? Whereas 27.5 mondopoint shell is 26.7cm foot length.
ski holidays
28.4cm is a UK 11 which is a 29.5 mondopoint init?
ski holidays
petemillis, A 27.5 Magma shell measures 290mm internally a 28.5, 305mm. Toofy Grin
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, my right foot measures 285mm and my left foot 286mm in thin ski socks according to my wooden blocks and Wickes metal ruler. Would 5mm and 4mm respectively be sufficient space in a 27.5 shell for the lining? I just noticed something that I hadn't really noticed before when looking at my feet - my second toes come to the same line as my thumb toes! Never noticed that before. I wonder if that's why I'd found the 27.5 mondopoint shell too small?
jb1970 - apols for the thread hijack snowHead
latest report
petemillis, It's called Mortons toe and can be easily accomodated. My foot (longest measures 278mm and has some problems in my 26 shells, however we have a boot lab, so they're easily remedied. You foot length will be reduced somewhat by you footbed, this may allow, with maybe a little stretching, for you to descend to a 27.5, the tecnica comes in a little longer than it's old Salomon counterpart.
ski holidays
I was told that my left foot is slightly longer than my right foot.
ski holidays
jb1970 wrote:
I was told that my left foot is slightly longer than my right foot.
4 sizes longer?
snow report
jb1970,
Just get your boots a little longer then you don't have to bother about skis.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, ahh, Morton's toe - interesting. Mine I guess isn't very extreme (compared with some of the pics I've just seen!). Interesting quote from Wikipedia that seems to suggest that us with a longer second toe are beautiful!
Quote:
It has a long association with disputed anthropological and ethnic interpretations. Morton called it Metatarsus atavicus, considering it an atavism recalling prehuman grasping toes. In statuary and shoe fitting it has been called the Greek foot (as opposed to the Egyptian foot, where the great toe is longer). It was an idealised form in Greek sculpture, and this persisted as an aesthetic standard through Roman and Renaissance periods and later (the Statue of Liberty has toes of this proportion). The French call it pied ancestral or pied de Néanderthal, believing it to be a sign of intelligence. Podiatrist/archaeologist Phyllis Jackson has interpreted it as a characteristically Celtic toe, as opposed to a Saxon toe. Cleopatra was known to have this, and many consider this trait to be a sign of beauty.

How would this be handled in a slightly smaller boot? Would it be through stretching out that toe area? And with regard to width, you mention that the 26.5 Magma is 98mm wide, and the 28.5 is 106mm wide, so I assume the 27.5 would be 102mm - with my width of 110-112mm, would it be possible to accommodate this in the 102mm last of the 27.5 Magma? If I used a custom footbed would it narrow the foot sufficently to fit the 102mm shell?

I notice someone mentioned a while ago on a different thread about problems they had with a channel in the XWave 9 down the outside edge of the plastic inner sole. Is this something you have noticed? If I stand in the XWave9 without the liner, the outside edge of my foot squashed right down into this channel, but the footbed that's currently in the lining doesn't seem to be deformed at all there.

So many questions - I'm turning into Megamum Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy