Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter 2008 - Warning on School Term Dates

Poster: A snowHead
As Easter is early next year, local authorities are doing different things with the Easter hols, meaning you might not be able to team up with the family you were hoping to go with. I know that most of the London authorities now make all terms approximately the same length, so next year will have the easter holidays STARTING 2 WEEKS AFTER Easter weekend. However, other authorities (well York anyway) are sticking with Easter as the start date.

All authorities will have set their 07/08 term dates now, and they should be available via your local Council web site.

Check it out before you commit.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SuburbanSkier, We are 22nd Marchd - 6th April. THe next door Authority are 8th April for 2 weeks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm interesting. I assumed that we would be the 1st 2 weeks of April, as that is what we have been for the past few years......however, it appears we are the same as FtS
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is already causing all sorts of problems, and it's over a year away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grammar schools in Devon are getting Good Friday & Easter Monday off & then going back to school for 4 days before having next 2 weeks off Puzzled

Note that most tour operators seem to have cottoned on & inflated their prices accordingly Mad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
provenjohn, an excuse to charge high prices for longer no doubt.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A good one for indepenant travel for those off either week 1 or week 2. French school breaks dont start until 5th April.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not so good for those without kds though as there will be kids on holiday of some sort or another from mid-Feb to mid-April, with only a couple of weeks gap between the last french half-term week and the first UK Easter week. rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another good reason to take your kids out of school I guess. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oops, Im very sorry,headmaster, but we booked our holidays to coincide with Easter, as that is the date when schools always have their holidays. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Peterborough the schools are off from 20th March to 8th April. I've decided to forget about February half term and go away for 2 weeks over Easter instead.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, probably a wise decision, as most schools are taking a later holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My kids don't all have the same Easter hols. I shall just have to take them one by one Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, But surely you don't have to waste time by coming back in between! Just have them shipped out to you one by one.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, sounds like a plan to me. Dad drives down with first kids, second lot go by train or plane, meets Dad who sends no 1 back. That may be what we are doing ourselves
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, I've done a few variations on that theme over the years. I'm off next weekend with laundrette #1 at the beginning of her uni vac. snowHead
ski holidays
Does going skiing without my children make me a bad mother? Embarassed I leave them at my ex's.

Seriously, I have a very talented dancer in the family and her teacher doesn't want me to take her skiing. Plus it's a money thing - I'm taking all 3 of us away in the summer for less than it cost me to go to Val d'Isere for a week.
snow report
clara_jo, not at all, but just think on the fun you're missing out on.
Very Happy
snow conditions
clara_jo, I mix and match. This year 2 trips alone/with friends, 2 with my daughter (including 1 with her mother, my ex). They are all as enjoyable, but different!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I'm not very sentimental - what is it that I'm missing out on? I can see what the children are missing out on, but I haven't sat on a chairlift and thought "I wish the kids were here" Embarassed I'm afraid I found it very liberating to do my own thing, go down the slopes that presented *me* with a challenge and not have to play nanny to anyone for a change. I think I'd quite like it to be able to ski with them when they're adults, but I'm only just getting round to skiing with my sister, and we're in our 30s!
latest report
clara_jo, I enjoy my trips without them, but we also have great fun together, even now they are 17 and 18 m and they never need much nannying anyway. They'll be much better skiers if they learn young. How old are they?
snow conditions
clara_jo, I didn't ski until I was 45, 3 years ago, and have taken my daughter (who is 11 now) on many trips over the last 3 years. I would like her to have the opportunity to start young unlike me. I really enjoyed the private lessons we had last month seeing how much she improved and enjoyed herself (chasing this dishy young french instructor down the hill). However I also enjoy trips with friends or alone (but meeting up with several snowHeads) as I did in January. I suppose I'm able to enjoy the best of both worlds. There isn't a right or wrong though.
snow report
clara_jo, I didn't have an ex to leave my kids with tho' . wink
ski holidays
I've two, but that's another story Little Angel
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, 9 and 12. It's a money issue, too, to be honest. And it would be much more fun to go skiing with friends - all of the people I get invited to go with go in term time (without children) and that is simply not an option with the penalties they impose at High School. None of my friends that ski has children.
snow conditions
We were allowed to take ours out of school for 10 days per year.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, they've just changed the rules. Any holiday in term-time now goes down in your records as an unauthorised absence (letters home + threat of legal action from LEA) and a fine is levied.
snow conditions
clara_jo, fascists! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clara_jo, That's a bit severe. My daughter doesn't start senior school until September but limited term time holiday is allowed. I limit it though to perhaps a couple of days before/after school holidays if necessary. I expect that will change though.
ski holidays
clara_jo, we still had to ask for permission though.
latest report
Please sir can I save myself £1500 by going skiing a week earlier and my daughter will miss diddly squat as the whole school is winding down for half term anyway.Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Helen Beaumont, until very recently, if you asked the school nicely and they said yes, it went down as an authorised absence (we did it when we took them to the States over October half-term + 4 days out of school). Now they've removed that option.
ski holidays
clara_jo, Do they do skiing trips at school. Tell them you are very busy at work (or whatever) during the school holidays.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, starting to save for the Year 9 trip (2 years' away!) even now Wink

It'll all work out eventually. Until such time, the children live in blissful ignorance (we hardly ever get snow in Cheshire - they haven't been tobogganing since Christmas 2000 Shocked ) and I keep escaping for budget weekends.

Surely a week in Austria learning German counts as the school equivalent of CPD?!
snow conditions
Our children are no longer fun to ski with as they get bored waiting for us to catch up!

The school has varied. We had a letter advising "unauthorised" two years ago but now the school has started to be competative with skiing we emphasise "training", competing" and "squad" and they send their blessing. We did go at half term, as well, this year and I agree the cost and the crowds are prohibative.
snow conditions
Alun Williams,
Quote:

"training", competing" and "squad"

Genius!

It wasn't until I encountered queues ( Shocked ) for the lifts in Switzerland last Sunday morning that I realised just how much bang for your buck you get going in term-time. In France (end of January) I would have been through the turnstiles, up the lift and back down again in the time it took me just to get to the skipass reader from the back of the queue! So it's not just an inconvenience thing, you are actually not getting your money's worth out of the ski pass imho.
snow report
What effect will the early Easter 2008 have on busy-ness of French resorts during it? We always plan a late march long weekend trip and next year looks perfect to take advantage of the bank holidays and not use up any annual leave. We're concerned that lots of people might be thinking the same, however I've just found out that the French spring holidays in 2008 aren't until April and won't overlap with the holiday weekend.

How busy is Serre Chevalier likely to be over Easter 2008?
ski holidays
bump
snow conditions
hd, just got back, it was extremely quiet, and the snow was good. You can guarantee that the Easter weekend will be quite busy, but the days either side may not be too bad next year, as the French holidays are in April. It is nowhere near as busy as half-term though.
ski holidays
hd,
I have been to Serre Che about 6 - 7 Easters. I have found it pretty much as described by Helen Beaumont, The week leading up to Easter together with the Easter weekend moderately busy but never to crowded, the week after is usually quiet.
Skiing on the upper slopes has always been reasonable and often very good, lower slopes a bit more of a variable feast. Main resort runs covered by snow making and have always been open and often very good in the morning.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy