Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay in Bourg St Maurice?

Poster: A snowHead
As detailed elsewhere I'm off to La Rosiere on Friday for a 4 day hol Very Happy We're booked in to the Cimes Blanches from Saturday night onwards so need somewhere to stay for the Friday night. However most of the hotels in La Ros say they're full so we're thinking about staying in BSM and maybe skiing Les Arcs on the Saturday, before driving up to La Ros on Saturday evening.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel near the funicular in BSM?

In view of the forthcoming high temps this week, is Les Arcs (which is mostly north and west facing?) likely to have better conditions on Sat 17th than La Ros (which is mostly south facing?)

One day skiing Les Arcs then 3 days skiing La Ros - is this a good plan?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hd, try the petite auberge it's run by an English couple and they've been able to help our guests who've wanted the odd single night, you can find their details via the Les Arcs Tourist Office website. IMO Les Arcs has the best piste skiing in France but the place is just so awful, the downside of skiing around Arc 2000 is that it doesn't see much sun and it can get very cold. As an alternative you could try the Hotel Belverdere which is between Villard Dessus and La Rosiere, you'll find their details on www.larosiere.net it's not far from the Beleverdere to the the Ecudets chair lift which takes you right into the Espace Sane Bernardo.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David@traxvax, ..... great to meet up with you in La Rosiere with FrostytheSnowman, the frosty snowfamily andTalltone, et al. You may arouse dormant passions regarding Les Arcs .....! Remember, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ..... Toofy Grin

hd, ... You may also consider trying the Hostellerie du Petit Saint Bernard in Bourg St. Maurice. Very friendly hotel (to people called Bernard anyway.....) Their restaurant is .....GOOD... Very Happy

You will find all contact details at this Tourist Office link.

Happy days ....... Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, how far (on foot) is the petite auberge from the town centre and the funicular?

Although staying in La Ros would be preferable I am quite keen on the idea of a night in Bourg now, cos:
1) Shorter drive from Geneva on the Friday night, so more time for a few first-night beers.
2) Easy access for a day skiing Les Arcs, to add a bit of variety to the hol.
3) Chance to stock up in one of the Bourg hypermarkets before driving up to La Ros. Which one is best? Is it on the way to LR?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hd, It's a fair old trek from the Petite Auberge into town/the funicular, but it's a lovely place to stay and the restaurant attached is fabulous! We stayed there on David@traxvax recommendation and never regretted it. Alternatively we've stayed at the Relais de la Vanoise which was also nice with good food....it's a bit closer to town than the PA but still not too handy for the funicular. As you'll have a car you can easily drive to the funicular (there's a huge free car park) for your skiing and will only have to worry about the walk in the evening which isn't so bad.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, good to meet you as well, I agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we have to look across to Arc 2000, nuff said.hd, La Petite Auberge is a fair way out of town, Bourg St Maurice is a valley town so it's doesn't have the same night life as a resort. There are 2 hypermarches, Intermarche and Super U both are near the N90 junction, so on your way to La Rosiere, there's also a Lidl on the N90 on the way into BSM
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you stay only one night the on-resort accommodations could be hard to find as they are booked on a weekly basis.

Your best chance is therefore a normal hotel off the resort.

I have never tried the Ibis hotel in Moutier but that would be one that I would go for. Moutier is at the end of the dual carriageway from Albertville to BSM. After Moutier you have another 17 miles single carriage to BSM. Distance wise from BSM is 11 miles to La Rosiere.

Thus if you wake up early in Moutier you have the following choices to ski on Saturday

(1) 3 Valless (11 miles to Meribel, 14 miles to Courcheval, 16 miles to Les Menuires/Val Thoren)
(2) Valmorel (10 miles)
(3) La Plagne (20 miles but closer to BSM)
(4) Les Arcs (17 miles to Funicular in BSM).

You can still have the evening meal and do all the shopping after skiing in BSM before heading for La Rosiere.

What you should consider is Saturday is the "transfer" day and all hell breaks loose on the roads in the Tarentaise. I would possibly eat my breakfast at 7am in Moutier and aim at arriving at no later than 8am at BSM to avoid the traffic jam. At the wrong time you can waste half a day waiting to get in and out of Tarentaise Valley.

If you can't find accommodation in BSM or Moutier there are plenty cheap and easily available hotels like Formula 1, Etap etc around the Centre de Commercial at Albertville and that adds another 17 miles journey from Albertville to Moutier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee wrote:
If you stay only one night the on-resort accommodations could be hard to find as they are booked on a weekly basis.

Both the Petite Auberge and the Relais de Vanoise do short term bookings....you shouldn't have a problem!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saikee, you'll be lucky to get into the Ibis on a Friday night at this stage, unless they've had a cancellation - friends of mine rang last Septemberfor a booking on 9 March , to be told it was already fully booked Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree if one can find an overnight accommodation then staying in BSM would be ideal for skiing Les Arcs and Petite Auberge looks good if one has the use of the car driving to the funicular car park. I stayed twice in BSM; once in Arolla and another in PG's flat both are walking distance to the funicular.

With a car the accommodation should not be a problem as there must be a lot of possibilities within a 20 miles radius.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everywhere in Bourg is full! Sad
Apart from la petite auberge...but that's because they haven't been replying to my emails...???
Is this address correct? hotel.lapetiteauberge AT wanadoo.fr

Time to spread the net so I've sent emails to Chalet Chardons in Tignes and to the Val Thorens tourist office.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hd, PM sent....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, They are not great at e-mail, you should give them a call. I was able to book for one of the busiest nights of the year (friday night, before french holidays) only a few weeks in advance. It isn't too bad of a place, and the restaurant is decent.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hd, They've had a new addition to the family this year....may be distracting them from the computer somewhat...I had trouble emailing them earlier in the season which is why we ended up in the Relais de Vanois...give them a call.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FFS Evil or Very Mad
La Petite Auberge have replied but they're full as well.
I can't believe that every single hotel in La Ros and BSM is full.
I've emailed Chalet Chardons in Tignes.
snow conditions
This season there have been a few snowHeads who were looking for just one night's accommodation in BSM. I don't think that any were successful.
latest report
hd, Might be some useful contacts in this old thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=417362

Aime is about 10 mins down the valley from Bourg and the access point to go up to La Plagne.
latest report
Panic over. Chalet Chardons have space. We'll be skiing Tignes on Saturday then... snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy