Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I get more lessons...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
petemillis, I suspect that if your mate does take lessons, there will be a lot of "undoing bad habits"!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guys,

Glad to have started such a good discussion. I'm 28, so although I wish I'd started earlier, I still have a good few years left and would certainly like to get to a position where I can ski the whole mountain in most conditions (if not off-piste). At the same time, particularly because it was only 8 weeks since my last trip, I don't really fancy a whole week of morning lessons.

I think I'm going to go for a day of getting my ski legs back, then a private lesson on the second day, and see where I go from there. I think it's worth spending the extra cash on one or two individual lessons rather than a week's worth of group lessons which are always susceptible to the 'lowest common denominator' factor.

So far "carving" is a term that I've heard a lot but don't really understand fully, so maybe I'll set myself an objective of being able to do that by the end of the week (too ambitious for a second weeker?)

Will definitely let you all know how I get on anyway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rpopo, carving is by no means too ambitious for a second weeker. All you need is correctly fitting boots and to be in tune with what your body and skis are doing. Definitely worth watching some of the bits of carving video that have been linked to in other posts, as well as doing some reading as it gives you an idea of what you're aiming for. Also applies to other types of turns - watch stuff, read stuff, visualise yourself doing it and it all helps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

rpopo, carving is by no means too ambitious for a second weeker

But not a foregone certainty either!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree - although he can stop quickly, when he plans to stop, he is not in proper control. And he's big, tall and muscley hence a potential danger to himself and others.

Odds ball, me dears.. Stopping quickly on skis when in full flight is only designed for emergency stops or when losing control - a safe skier stops gradually by completing their turns.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy