Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow report - Iceland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I went to Reykjavik a couple of weeks back for my OH's 30th - a truly great trip. We didn't actually get any skiing in but we did spend a day on the snow so I thought I'd write a little report.....

Weds morning started off clear, cold and crisp. We boarded our ridiculously large jeep vehicle - seriously the largest ever "car" I've seen!! Luckily there was only one other person with us so the three of us had the guide and vehicle all to ourselves.

We set off toward the hot springs, Storkkur geysir and Pingvellir area, along the way encountering many Icelandic horses - fascinating creatures! They are really furry, like bears and they have 5 ways of moving (as opposed to the usual four) - the fifth way is wierd to watch!

The Strokkur geysir was stunning and we had it all to ourselves for a whole half an hour - none of this namby pampy health and safety culture either - no guards, a small rope and you can get nice and close!

Then onto Pingvellir - where the European and American plates are moving apart. The lake created was iced over and I have never ever seen ice like it - so blue and crystally and sprakly - really unique because it's so clean.

Then on to the glacier - here we had the real fun - the jeep really came in to it's own, roaring up gradients which i estimated to be "red runs" and roaring back down again - every so often the guide would jump out and let the pressure down in the tyres to allow us to go on - we were at 2 p.s.i at our lowest.
The snow was very deep and we went sledging - loads of fun but the snow had a tough crust like layer on top and in places was very icy - it's so cold out there that this wasn't surprising to me - I'm not sure I'd have faniced skiing it to be honest.
Once on the glacier we stopped for a play around in the snow - again, all by ourselves and with a sky so clear that we could see peaks 100kms away and literally not one other person or vehicle in sight - and had a shot of the local stuff, Brennivin, very strong and not that nice but very warming!!

I would wholly recommend a winter visit to Iceland - it's country of such individuality and beauty - I have travelled all over the world, including the Alps, Andes, Pyrenees and New Zealand and I have honestly never seen anything like it. (And that report covers just one day of a 4 day visit).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
Iceland sounds great.
My otherhalf has got it into his head about driving there in our motorhome to see the northern lights!! Puzzled
Did you go on a package deal?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, I booked everything seperately:

Flew BA - Gatwick to Keflavik.
FlyBus to Reykjavik and back to airport - great service this was.
Hotel Borg - found on internet, spoke directly to reception manager who upgraded us to a suite for free and gave us champagne in the room - all just because I asked!!
Jeep excursion with www.mountaintaxi.is - recommeded by hotel.

Northern Lights - I was determined to see them and convinvced I would but as my guide told me - the Northern Lights can only be predicted up to two days in advance and even then, they don't really bother. They appear in random and unpredictable places for random and unpredictable lengths of time - sometimes 5 mins, sometimes 30 mins. And of course, you have to have clear skies. My conclusion was that I'd need to be v lucky or spend a lot of time there in order to see them.

How would you drive there? Is there a ferry you can take?!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting report. I would like to go there sometime. Did you go on one of the whale watching trips?
This guy drove to Iceland, via the Shetlands and Faroe Islands, so it is do-able though as he says a little complex.
I think that the sun is fairly quiet at the moment, which might reduce the chances of seeing the Northern Lights. I'm not too sure though.
FWIW IIRC Icelandic horses have two additional gaits (tolt and pace) compared to most UK horses, but they count two (gallop and canter) of the UK horses gaits as one.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PK2, yes, it's all dependent on the sun flaring so if there's not much of that going on then there won't be any lights. I was so convinced I'd see them but much less dissappointed when i found out the probability was so low.

The Icelandic horse has this gait which (when you watch it in slow motion) shows they only have one foot on the floor at any one time but the rider just has to lean back and sit still - watching them do it, the rider is barely moving - it evolved as a way for the horses to run over the rocky lava fields etc...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and no, we didn't go Whale Watching - that's a summer activity although I would love to go back in the summer and do it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nightshift, the gait you describe there sounds like the tolt - IMO much more comfortable than trotting. It does feel a bit funny to start with though. They also have, perhaps more so in those that work/show than the wild ones, a gait called pace which is where the two legs on each side move forwards (and backwards) together (c.f. trotting where the diagonally opposite pairs work together). I only asked about the whale watching as I would like to do it sometime. I felt the same about the northern lights since I went to Lapland this year and failed to see them
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I quite like the look of the place. Do you find a lot of Mothers there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Marc t'Mosher wrote:
I quite like the look of the place. Do you find a lot of Mothers there?

Took me a while but ha ha and no!! Not a frozen lamb roasting joint in the whole city!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy