Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

next season, alpine touring, equipment advice

Poster: A snowHead
my plan for next season is to start alpine touring on skiboards, i am gonna get new boards, increased length. at the moment i ride 110cm's, i have a few choices, spruce 120's hagan 133's or maybe the icelantic scout 143cm. does anyone know of any good reccomendations for bindings, at the moment i am looking at the Black Diamond Fritschi Diamir Freeride at bindings, what others are out there???? what other backcountry equipment would you guys reccomend, looking for some telescopic/collapsable poles, a new backpack (was thinking the salomon valdez).. all help and advice is much appreciated
thanks
graeme
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you're buying proper touring boots, get dynafit compatible ones and get dynafit bindings. better skiability than the others and MUCH lighter. you will also have to search long and hard before you find a report of a serious failure of those bindings. unfortunately not the case with most other offerings
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
graeme, The Icelantic nomad in 156 and 168 is a great touring ski. I lot of telemarkers also using it.

Backpacks. Can't go wrong with a Dakine Heli pro.

Next season the scout will be available in std 143 and soft 143.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme, Marker have a new touring binding out which is apparently receiving favourable press.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Check out the weight mate! It's a freeride binding that has free heel capabilities! Din 16? Weight 2.4kg and 379€. For strong freeriders when that walk gets just a little too long.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It does look like a nice binding eh. Going to retail at about £250 I beleive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiwi1, It's awsome. The Big Scandie's will/are putting it through it's paces and nothing put good reports.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, We've just mounted the Nomad Crimson with a pair of 'Duke' if you pass by Cham'. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I know Icelantic won ISPO new product award last year but didn't this binding win it this year?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
already have the boots, scarpa denali tt's
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kiwi1, I think the 'Atomic Hawk', won product of the year, and it's SHITE. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
graeme, well Dynafits won't work with them. I've used Fritschis for several years with no problems, although you do hear reports of the toepieces breaking. Whether you need the Freeride Plus depends on what DIN setting you'll be going for. Up to 8 or so and you could get away with the Explore and save a bit of weight. Naxo bindings get good reports too. Again, I'd go for the cheapest one which accommodates your DIN setting.

The Duke is all well and good, but it isn't really a touring binding - it's more like a beefy alpine binding with a walk mode. It is heavy and the heel lift mechanism looks like a bit of an afterthought. That said, if you're only walking for an hour or so then jumping off stuff on the way down, it looks streets ahead of what is currently on offer
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Just found this from a pile of e-mails.

The marker Duke won two awards. This in the outdoor:
And here are the winners of this year’s already 14th ispo Outdoor Awards:
In the Hardware category, the jury selected the Race Bindung Duke from Marker, which convinces thanks to its unrestricted walking function. With the product, Marker is reacting to the needs of an increasingly large target group: the freeriders. Extreme stability, maximum transmission of force and a safety area, which is also designed for extreme requirements, are the most important product properties of the new freeride binding. The unique, overall concept is rounded out by its high-tech, aggressive design, which stands clearly apart from that of its competitors

and this in the Ski:
In the Ski Binding category, the jury selected the Race Bindung Duke from Marker, which already received a first place in the Hardware category at the ispo Outdoor Awards. With the product, Marker is reacting to the needs of an increasingly large target group: the freeriders. Extreme stability, maximum transmission of force and a safety area, which is also designed for extreme requirements, are the most important product properties of the new freeride binding. The overall concept is rounded out by its unrestricted walking function was well as its high-tech, aggressive design.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just got a paid of Naxo NX21s (the Dynastar branded ones) fitted them to my old 1080 skis and climbed 800 m over the weekend. Now I have nothing to compare them to, but weight didn't seem to be an issue on the way up, and the ride on the way down was pretty good.

Now I just need to find the right pair of boots because the Nordica ones I was using felt ever so flimsy when skiing...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
graeme, Marker have a new touring binding out which is apparently receiving favourable press.

not here it didn't

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0688-marker-duke-ski-touring-binding/
latest report
davidof, None of the comments come from people who have used the Duke! Just those whom have seen it and probably are rescent purchasers of Naxo or Fritchi! The Duke has, IMO, it's place in the market.

Here in Cham' the "Sidecountry Skier" is a huge market.
Weight to these skiers is an afterthought, they smash Fritchi and Naxo into pieces. They hate Naxo and Fritchi, cos they sit up around 8cm higher on their skis and the torsional forces put on these bindings just pulls them apart. The have tried and prefer 'Alpine Treker' as the down hill ride puts them back in their prefered binding.
Why would having to take your ski off to change from walk to ski be a problem? How many off you can take the skins off your skis with the ski still on your feet?
I think well sell alot of them and will be mounting all our test skis with them. If my Scandi' mates haven't broken theirs yet, aint non of us going to! Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Why would having to take your ski off to change from walk to ski be a problem? How many off you can take the skins off your skis with the ski still on your feet?

Me for one - I always take my skins off with the skis attached to my feet! What I can't do is put the skins back on without taking my skis off!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy