Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Skis

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for some new piste skis. One's that can be taken off piste occasionally. I ski on Dynastar 8800 size 188cm when it's soft or off piste. Have a pair of Omeglass 157cm for when it's icey or hardpack. Am looking to replace my old Intuitive 74's which were 50/50, but as I bought them before the 8800's am now looking for more 80 on 20 off piste.
I'm 6'0" & 14 stonne.
Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fischer RX9, Head Supershape, Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel,...

Go for something around 170cm.

(or join the dwindling band of Metron B5 owners, and go for a 162)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 8-03-07 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat,
Why?
Have you tried them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup.
I'm 5' 11", and a little under 14 stone.

Currently on Head iXRC1100SW (170), K2 Public Enemy (174), K2 Seth Pistol (179)
snow report
 brian
brian
Stoeckli Laser GS, they rock !

.... and here's some tracks I made for the 20 ... Laughing

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, nice!

What other skis have you tried?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, do you really need some.

I'd have thought that between the 8800's and the Omeglass that you have all your bases covered.

I'm 5' 11" and 13.5 stone and have VR27's in 165 and 8800's in 178cm. Between them I think I've all I need.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat, not many, I don't get out much. In the last year I've skied:

- my trusty old Axis-x
- im75
- laser gs
- recon
- bd kilowatt

Anyway, I guess what I meant to say was for 80/20 I reckon there's no point making a degree of "all mountain" compromise, you might as well get the best ski you can for the 80 part and I personally would probably pick a gs ski.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I love the 8800's, but obviously not for all conditions. The Omeglass are great, but are too hardcore and bloody hard work for general piste use, plus you can forget taking them off piste.

Wear The Fox Hat,
Can you tell me the pros and cons of the 3 skis you've recommended, please.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Icelantic Pilgrams or Nomads in 168. Think fat skis that are good on piste.
http://www.junkigear.com/Trade/icelantic.pdf

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 8-03-07 17:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stockli Stormrider XL - similar dimensions to your Intuitivs but a bit more beefy
Or what about a pair of twintips? Fox's suggestion of Public Enemies is one I'd agree with - nice stiff damp feel to them. There are cheapo Dynastar Trouble Makers on www.steepandcheap.com right now. I tried them for a day a little while back and found them a pretty good allrounder.
I think a lot of the cross skis will overlap a bit with your Omeglasses
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman wrote:
I'm looking for some new piste skis. One's that can be taken off piste occasionally. I ski on Dynastar 8800 size 188cm when it's soft or off piste. Have a pair of Omeglass 157cm for when it's icey or hardpack. Am looking to replace my old Intuitive 74's which were 50/50, but as I bought them before the 8800's am now looking for more 80 on 20 off piste.
I'm 6'0" & 14 stonne.
Any ideas?

didn't you answer your own question in another thread with Rossi Z9s that you seemed to be raving about.

Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RX9 - good ski, has a lot of fans, throwing it hard into turns going down a slope is fun.
HRTF - almost my "ski of the year" last year, only beaten by the Public Enemy.
Supershape - this year's Supershape is (so I'm reliably informed) the closest to my iXRC1100SW. Skiing it is fun. I prefer it over the RX9 because it has a bit more pop coming out of the turn - ski it well, and it will reward you well. There is also the i1200, but it's not quite as good as the Supershape.

I am a fan of sandwich skis, and if you were to force me to pick one of the three, it would be the SuperShape.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dan100,
Quote:

Rossi Z9s

Yes I liked them a lot, but wanted to know what else is out there that I should be trying.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

Supershape

I'll look out a pair to try, thanks.
snow report
They are white with red letters.
If you can't get them, try the i1200, which are green.
snow conditions
Spyderman,
Before you buy demo a Rossi Zenith Z9 Neutral
snow conditions
Embarassed Seems that has been sugested above Embarassed
I have Z5's and love them but i'm only a intermediate
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat,
What type of level skier are you? Would you consider your selection of skis to be of an advanced/instructor standard?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, Try a pair of newer slalom skis.

I have some 157cm Omeglass and find that their natural turn radius is a bit small. I much prefer my current generation 166cm/13m slalom skis.
snow report
rjs,
What have you got? Any good for the occassional off piste?
snow report
Spyderman, I'm not that good a skier, I tend to ski on ones beyond my ability, but I know of several instructors (in the US) who are on the Supershape or i1200. I know a coupld of instructors who use the HRTF. I can't think of any who use the RX9.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, Fischer WC SL.

I use them off piste, but have never tried anything softer so don't really know whether they are "good" or not.
snow report
Download a 45MB quicktime movie including some of the skiers I've mentioned

or here is a 4MB video of one of Dave Grogan helping a student get down AMF. Dave is on the 1200s
snow conditions
Spyderman, I would find the Z9s too soft myself. What about Rossi 9S Oversize? I find/found the 9XO (the "GS" version) excellent in everything - the "SL" type might be more fun on piste.

That, of course, is why I bought 165 Nordica SL-Rs without trying them first! They are surprisingly capable off piste but I think I'd prefer something a little wider than 60mm underfoot...(P.S. I'm 60kgs, 178cms)
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, A good Epic vid, but not as good as the 06 Snowbird one, which was just awesome.
snow conditions
Spyderman, Atomic Metron B5 in 162cm
ski holidays
Spyderman,

Rossignol 9S Oversize or World cup 165 length.

Great ski on piste, off piste, bumps, basically all mountain Blush
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, thanks - that's just the teaser vid - our main video producer has just become a father for the first time, and that has taken his focus off producing the official vid.
snow report
Thanks for all of the recommendations, looks like I need to do some serious ski testing.

Wear The Fox Hat,
Have you skied the skis you recommended, or are they the US instructors recommendations?
I used to ski many years ago on equipment which was way beyond my ability, race boots & race skis. Don't really know why, maybe to look like the racers on ski sunday, or just the marketting hype. I started doing some proper training and realised that the equipment was holding my progress back, because I could not flex the boots properly or use the skis as they were designed. I got hold of some equipment that more suited my ability. I enjoyed my skiing much more and made speedier progress. I know teach people with exactly the same problems that I had. Turning up with race skis, with not the remotest idea how to use them and boots so stiff, they can't flex them.
Why give yourself a hard time, use equipment that is designed for your ability level and slightly above, rather than going just for the top models.
snow report
Spyderman, I have skied them.
I've also just come down from a pair of boots that were too stiff into a pair of Krypton Pros, which aren't. I still like all my skis, but what I mean is that I am probably using less than 50% of their performance.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

I've also just come down from a pair of boots that were too stiff into a pair of Krypton Pros, which aren't.

Music to my ears, I wish my clients would see the light and do likewise. I bet you are enjoying your skiing more, now you can properly flex your boots. Did you notice a difference in the skis performance when you changed boots?
What reason did you have for buying the stiff boots? I have taken issue with S & R at Hemel in the past for selling boots to people that are far beyond their ability. Also, what made you change to a softer model?
snow conditions
Nordica Afterburners

84mm in the waist so pretty skinny. Demo'd them at SZK's zoo location (& he didn't even comp me rolling eyes so I'm not that biased). Coped with morning hardpack and afternoon corn well.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy