Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Questions for our resident experts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're flying out on saturday morning (to Turin) and have a couple of questions that hopefully someone will be able to help with.

How are the slopes holding up with the warm weather and rain? We've been missing the regular updates from snowangel and chris...

Is it possible to buy one lift pass that will cover a half day on the first saturday pm, 8 full days and then a half day on the monday am?

Can you use the mickey slope without a lift pass?

Is the Tabuc run actually closed? or is it officially closed but skiable? wink

Is there a swimming pool in villeneuve? I know of the thermal baths in monetier but was wondering if there was anything actually in villeneuve that would mean that I didn't have to take an afternoon off to drive the SO to monetier!

A lot of questions I know but hopefully someone will be able to help!
Thanks, Mark
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mwareing,

We got back last week and this is what I think I know.
The residents might be able to correct me.

We got half day passes easily enough. Depending on the areas you want and for half a day I would go to Monetier for about 27eu per day. Tabuc was closed but we went under the rope and it was slushy...not really worth doing on last weeks conditions which were warmish...not as warm as Le Grave which is over the Col. The col seems to be able to provide contrasting weather systems if the wind is from a condusive direction.

We normally used the Villeneuve or Monetier lifts and skied an area at a time. There was too much for us to pick off to be able tyo use the mileage the pass covers.

I am not sure about the Monday half day...maybe they limit it to 4 hrs passes. The pass is magnetic but they charge you for it... don't throw it away as there is NO deposit back on it.

Don't know about swimming pools and stuff
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mwareing, the slopes are good especially above 2000m. Below that they are a bit slushy after midday. Briancon side is in direct sunlight and not really worth thinking about unless we get some more snow. As JT, (hi John) says, Tabuc is closed but skiable (ok in the mornings). No problem with the lift pass and you can buy half days. Forget the Mickey there is not enough good snow on it! The swimming pool is on the main road before the kart racing circuit and does have some strange opening hours (usually posted on the door but not always accurate). PM me if you need more details.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, glad to hear you did Tabuc we came back on Monday after having been there a few days and decided that it looked a bit dodgy at the bottom. I felt that in general the snow was great above mid mountain level and acceptable slushy lower down in the afternoons. mwareing, if conditions haven't varied much I think you'll have a great time, there was a lot more open than I was expecting. Can't answer questions on lift pass I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mwareing, link to pass prices below

http://www.serre-chevalier.com/Hiver/en/domaine-skiable/tarif.php4
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevew, ...JT, & I went under the rope from memory about 4pm, to avoid, a) a long hike ..... b) a long hike ......

......after some minutes into the run we had a strong clue as to why it was closed ......!

...but it was fun nonetheless, though varying to pure water at the bottom of the track, as freezing level was very low that day.

... you may be able to combine the lower section with your swimming pool desires and not have to worry about erratic opening times of the pond in villeneuve ...... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all,

As Mickey is not good, I guess I'll have to take our beginner snowboarders (they have had lessons at the snowdome) over to the greens above frejus on the first afternoon before they start ski-school on the sunday morning.

I may just have to duck under the rope at tabuc (in the morning), it was one of our favorite runs (along with Isolee) a few years ago, when were were back there last both were closed (again...)

chris, thanks for the update on conditions, and the info on the pool.
although as the long range forecasts are not looking good for the next week I may well be seen in my speedos swimming accross the bottom of tabuc with skis on my back Shocked

Can't wait now, one more sleep and we'll be there... Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mwareing,
Greens above Frejus often have the worst queues if you can get to Grande Alpe or Aravet you may be better off.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, I agree, always a bottleneck, but maybe not too bad on Saturday afternoon.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, Helen Beaumont, Good point, I'd forgotten how bad the queues for those drags can be!

I was thinking of heading that way because those greens above frejus are a great introduction to skiing on real snow as opposed to the short up & downs of the snowdome

I do like the idea of Aravet though, the ickle nursery slope there and then on up the new chair and down the blues once they've got the feel for boarding on real snow. I'm a little apprehensive about taking them on their first chair though... I can just imagine the carnage both getting on and off... I might just have to hang back with the camera Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mwareing, as it is Saturday, there may not be so many ski schools using those drags though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, T Bar, we've just had one of the busiest weeks of the winter so I think it should be less people next week. The queues for the drag lifts above Frejus should be OK. mwareing, I'll look out for you in your Speedo's Shocked Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chris, I'm looking forward to the quieter slopes next week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy