Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who cares anyway?

Poster: A snowHead
Gerry wrote:

Cathy Coins,

...you might want to swing by the Club forum and enter the debate about off-piste leading. You might find it interesting.

Aha Gerry - I wondered if my comment would draw you forth Very Happy

Now why should I wish to enter into an argument, sorry debate, on the SCGB forum? Discussions get nowhere there - someone puts a point of view across and you pick it to pieces relentlessly until they just get bored. You constantly put across the 'company line' even when this is wrong, like you saying on another thread that SCGB took a careful well-considered decison to close down the open forum - uh, hello??!! Have you not heard of give and take? I've got better things to day with my days thank you - like snowHeads snowHead

And finally Gerry, are you not concerned that under 25s feel the SCGB has nothing to offer them? Can I just ask you - for how long have you been a SCGB rep? It feels like it must have been very many years for you to be so knowledgeable about all SCGB affairs Very Happy

Ah rant over - been a very busy day at work today Very Happy Got to take frustrations out somewhere Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David@traxvax, I have the annual financial report in front of me and there is no mention of financial contributions made to Snowsport GB. Therefore I conclude - as I did earlier in the day and stated as much - that there has been none.

Nadenoodlee, it's changed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cathy Coins wrote:

Ah rant over

thank god for that.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, is that my only response Gerry? Sad I was hoping for some light-hearted banter Wink

So come on, how long have you been a rep for? And have you also been on Council at some stage? I'm just curious because you do seem to be so knowledgeable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gerry wrote:
David@traxvax, I have the annual financial report in front of me and there is no mention of financial contributions made to Snowsport GB. Therefore I conclude - as I did earlier in the day and stated as much - that there has been none.

Well, I thought we'd all concluded that. Which begs the question. What precisely does the SCGB do, then, with respect to Snowsport GB?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, this is what we want to find out. Impossible to judge before we do.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 21-09-04 22:58; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cathy - I think that its Gerry's aspiration to be on Council very soon!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmmm, wonder what Gerry said Shocked Presumably you read it hibernia, or can you repeat it Gerry?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cathy, I wouldn't waste your time if I was you wink

I can just imagine though the "conversation" on the SCGB "forum" ...............

"Good grief, Patricia. Those god-awful snowheads people are talking about us again. Have they simply nothing better to do!?!". "It's quite putting me off my sherry don't you know."

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE! the devotion to their actions is getting embarassing. (rant ends)

Sheesh! rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe that irony is something deliberate so this thread perhaps does not really count as such, but I would remind you Philip Prior that you started this thread with the words
Quote:
Will there ever be closure on this?

Sad

as for your "imagined conversation" in the "other place", you are much mistaken. There is no expression of ill-feeling there towards snowHeads. Many of us here were upset by the closure of the open forum but we have expressed that anger and have moved on to create something which is better than what we had then.

The Ski Club members pay their membership fees and have a right to question and discuss what their club is all about. IMO non-members should remain unperturbed by something which they themselves say has no impact whatsoever on their lives unless they have something constructive to contribute to the debate, or perhaps are considering becoming members.

snowHead = Little Angel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Point taken, Alan Craggs, I'll leave you to it. Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alan, a couple of points:

1 Your final words "....or perhaps are considering becoming members." I'd like to feel that all snowHeads are considering doing most things within the bounds of legality. One gets the impression that many snowHeads are considering, or have considered, joining the SCGB, so their comments are worthwhile.

2 The Club's mission statement from the early 1990s is to be "the spokesbody [sic] of British skiers". Whether this means bicycle wheel is a matter of debate, but skiers have a right to speak about an organisation that seeks to speak for them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith, well of course I would not wish to deny anybody the right to speak about anything - skiers or not! Another result of late night après whisky posting Embarassed

I would however hope that the debate could run along constructive lines - perhaps like PG's questioning of the Club's role in Snowsport GB on another thread - rather than on unfounded allegation etc.

Of course, if the Club had an open forum it would not be necessary to "imagine" what is being said there.... Blush

(and yes Gerry, I know that folk can pay to find out what's there if they wish... rolling eyes )
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For the record the "imaginative line" was meant to be tongue firmly in cheek (I though it would read out as obviously that). I always think there is a place for humour even in serious discussions (after all this is snowheads not....somewhere else, eh?). Sorry if it was misunderstood.
latest report
Oh dear am I turning German now? Laughing Laughing

There is indeed a place for a sense of humour in (almost) all things I would hope Philip. But some people just don't seem to have one (or at least employ it selectively)...... Wink

And yes, this is snowHeads - it is an open forum for which we are all thankful. My concern is to keep it that way, bearing in mind the "reasons" so far advanced for closure of the Club open forum and discussions on litigation etc which have taken place elsewhere.

It's obvious, for example, that many people (including me!) feel free to take "pot shots" at the likes of Blair and Bush. In the way of things it is unlikely that these "targets" will respond in any way at all, but smaller fish may well take umbrage at things which are posted in this type of arena - see the "Newspaper forum" thread for instance.

Still, maybe I shouldn't have ten fingers of malt before I post next time! snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-09-04 22:27; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Gerry, still doesnt appeal to me at all
snow report
Well I think I can understand that Nadenoodlee Razz Razz
snow conditions
Nade believe me Gerry isnt the ski club and up to now if he where i think he'd be there on his own and still arguing Laughing there are a few of us trying to steer the club away from the snobby image it has and make it what it should be a great skiing club for everyone all silver spoons either removed or pushed right in Razz
ski holidays
I've just been reduced to a line of dots & a comma Sad (Gerry's post of 8.43 yesterday). It must have been bad NehNeh
snow conditions
you naughty girl cathy Razz
latest report
Nothing wrong with 10 fingers of the old gold watch, Alan. Keep up the good work!

I luv the stuff! Just gonna tuck into a rather large glass of 10 yr old Macallan.
ski holidays
Cheers Philip! Eh oh!
snow conditions
Gerry, any luck with finding out more about the SCGB's real contribution to Snowsport GB?
ski holidays
I read that one of GB's brightest young stars, Ed Drake, has been sponsored by SCGB for the last four years and that they are continuing their sponsorship of Ed this season.

http://www.lsersa.org/races04/misc/ed2004.htm

No indication of what the sponsorship actually entails, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. Hopefully a future SnowHeads will be looking at a similar gesture! Does wonders for image. In the meatime, I refer you to the little picture at the bottom of each page for our current, extremely deserving, sponsoree Wink
snow conditions
PG wrote:
Does wonders for image. ..

As do web pages which come up promptly. It was dire here yesterday. Is this server running out of bandwidth?
ski holidays
PG is quite right on pretty much every point - the SCGB retains a percentage of votes at BSSF {Snowsport GB} agms as a result of the evolution of british Snowsport. For a number of years before the formation of the NSFGB the club was the governing body.

It simportant to separate sponsorship and membership. As with others I can't find any reference to the club's being a sponsor of the fed {and in fact I d be interested to know what if any contribution they make to the organisation}. They may well sponsor individual athletes - but in that case they are sponsoring British skiERS as opposed to British skiING.

So the club is a member of 'the fed' {more formally Snowsport GB}. However it's a pretty insignificant one. In terms of power the lions share of agm and egm votes goes to the home nations. the balance to a dogs breakfast of other interest groups; BASI, the Club, Combined Services Wintersports Assoc, BARSC etc.

If you want chapter and verse the figures are;

English Ski Council (trading as Snowsports England) 25
Scottish National Ski Council (renamed Snowsports Scotland) 25
Ski Council of Wales (trading as Snowsports Wales) 15
Northern Ireland Ski Council (trading as Snowsports Northern Ireland) 10
Combined Services Winter Sports Association 6
Athletes 6
Ski Club of Great Britain 3
British Alpine Racing Ski Clubs 2
British Association of Ski Instructors 2
British Snowboard Association 6

In terms of votes for elections to the board the home nations only plus BARSC and CSWSA are the only voting members - power is in the hands of those involved in excellence {in a sporting sense}.

The inclusion of the SCGB as a member group {albiet a very minor one was a political fudge {or to take into account the club's historical role if you're more charitable}. Without giving an extensive lesson in the governanace of skiing in the UK the current consitution of the 'fed was designed to ensure the preeminence of those involved in the delivery of competitive skiing/skiers. The remaining bodies were left in there because it was more hassle than it was worth to go the final mile and remove them.

Perhaps someone from the Club could tell us its contribution to Snowsport GB - as opposed to individual skiers {and of course if any individual skiers are sponsored the basis for their selection.....

Finally PG rightly says;

''I am actively involved in raising funds for various associations, including a couple of ski clubs. I sourced one official current sponsor of Snowsport GB. Should I be on various committees then, on behalf of mostly armchair sports fans, telling the athletes and trainers how they should be running their sport? ''

No of course not - the delivery is the responsibility of the professional staff. Though, and this is a separate point in the recent past one significant sponsor ofn the fed did impose an 'official' on the organisation..... ''X must be elected unanimously and unopposed or i shall pull my spondorshop'' so not everyone out there has the same ideas.
latest report
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, arnold lunn.

(PS - I have PMed you separately....)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG - thanks for the message. I shall have a wee look about
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy