Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adjusting ski boot flex

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Salomon X-Wave 8 boots, and have used them for a couple of weeks skiing now.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them, apart that the forward 'flex' of the boot seems a little stiff, and I was wondering if there is a way of adjusting this?

I don't want to start fiddling with allen-keys, etc., without knowing what I'm doing - so I thought I'd ask the audience.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of 5 year old X-Wave 8s and had a similar problem. This came to light after I had lost a considerable amount of weight and attended the Warren Smith Ski Academy where it was pointed out to me that I was not achieving sufficient ankle flex to give me good ski control.
I was also told that the over-stiff flex was a design fault of the boots and nothing much could be done about it, they did cut the carbon fibre link at the rear of the boots but this didn't make a lot of difference.

When I got home, I examined the boots to see if there was anything else that could be done - the alternative would have been to get some different (new) boots. Sad

On removing the liners I discovered that the inner plastic at the rear of the boot had a V-shape marked in it which was obviously intended to be cut out - so I did Shocked .

The result: softer, more progressive flex with slightly increased forward lean. Transformed my skiing Very Happy

Obviously, this process is irreversible so you might not want to take the risk if you have new boots.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnw, my boots are only a year or so old, so I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to start cutting them ... Tempting though it is!

It's silly really because I know there's various other adjustments that can be made to the boots ... and you'd have thought that flex would be the obvious one to be adjusting!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonflat2, I understand your dilemma - I guess it depends on how serious a problem the stiff flex is for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Me:
X-Wave 8.....check
Warren Smith course....check
Advised to cut.....check
So cut....check
More flex....check
More available lean....check
Skiing transformed....well not exactly "transformed" but certainly improved and felt that there was more control, and responsiveness available.

You have a simple choice between 3 options:
1. Do nothing and live with them as is, but in the knowledge that they are not quite right.
2. Buy new boots (ooooh....more ski kit! Tempting!!)
3. Cut them and get exactly the result you want.

Stop vacilitating, you now know what to do....get cutting!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp, may the force be with you! snowHead

jonflat2, do you want to be a hero? Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me with my old Tecnica Icons, the answer was ... NEW BOOTS.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnw, rungsp, Laughing

Right ... I'm going to have a look at the boots this evening. I'm assuming that the cutting proceedure is pretty straightforward? I'm off to Whistler next week, and don't really want to spend this weekend in Slush & Rubble buying new boots 'cos I cut my Salomons to shreds!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonflat2, the carbon fibre strap can be cut with a sharp knife - a serrated edge works best - or if you're feeling brave you could try a hacksaw.

Cutting the V-shape out of the inner boot is a little more tricky, even though it's pre-punched the plastic is very tough. I ended up using a pair of tinman's snips.

Good luck!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've a pair of X-Wave 10's and am toying with the idea of cutting out that "V" shape to reduce the flex a little. I too have been on a Warren Smith course, but have left the boots well alone so far.

I know I can take out the cant-lock bolt as well, but the smallgoalkeeper tells me that will reduce the return to centre or summut similar that didn't sound too good, so I haven't bothered.

I don't have a huge problem flexing the boots, and whilst they seem good for on piste carving, I'm inclined to think they might be a smidgin too stiff for this freeride game. I also think I stiffened them up a bit up when I added a booster strap last year. Confused

I don't think that cutting the carbon link is a good idea, but I have nothing to base this on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jonflat2 wrote:
johnw, rungsp, Laughing

Right ... I'm going to have a look at the boots this evening. I'm assuming that the cutting proceedure is pretty straightforward? I'm off to Whistler next week, and don't really want to spend this weekend in Slush & Rubble buying new boots 'cos I cut my Salomons to shreds!

Download the Salomon PDF document, and on Page 62 it will show how to make the cut as described.

http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/SPM_06_web.pdf
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill wrote:
I've a pair of X-Wave 10's and am toying with the idea of cutting out that "V" shape to reduce the flex a little.

am I reading this whole thread wrong - doesn't cutting the V increase the flex?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cD5, thanks for the link.
holidayloverxx, cutting out the V increases the flex(ibility) by reducing the flex stiffness. Madeye-Smiley
marc gledhill, looking at the Salomon document, you're probably right about the carbon link.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, Cutting the 'V' lessens the resistance by alowing the 'Clog' (lower shell) flex forward more by closing the 'V'. Without the piece of plastic you remove by making the 'V' the boot is happer to be pushed further forward but will the prevent the boot returning to origin( the neutral stance) in the boot. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, sorry, I was being a bit vague there. Reducing stiffness is more accurate.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, so, don't cut out the "V" either. Is there a method of correctly reducing stiffness that doen't compromise the boot in other ways?
snow report
marc gledhill, Change of liner is the most effective. Without damaging boots engineering.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, buggur, I've just got used to the zipfits Confused
ski holidays
marc gledhill, That will stiffen the boot, maybe a good thing as this works both ways.
ski holidays
Now, the real question is: can a wrap liner stiffen laterally but not forwards?
snow report
comprex, Yes with lateral shimms. Or denser foam laterally. Otherwise, nah.
snow report
I think I'm glad my new boots felt OK this year!!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
comprex, Yes with lateral shimms. Or denser foam laterally. Otherwise, nah.

Aaaaargh Shocked

didn't think you had to be an engineer to do this stuff Sad
ski holidays
Hmmm ... Confused

What to do ... what to do??
ski holidays
Mind you I still look at mine in the mirror and I'm still not convinced that its the shell of the boot that actually flexes. There doesn't seem any tangible movement around a 'pivot' that shows me the boot is actually flexing - I assume from the above that they are doing it somehow. Where is the flex seen?
ski holidays
On a CSIA course one of the course directors took a stanley knife to the bottom of inner wrap of the cuff. The look on the face of the owner of the boots was a picture Laughing but it worked.
snow report
jonflat2, - I kinda feel you should go for the knife - heaps of satisfaction, but follow the Salomon instructions.

If you do reduce the flex you will also reduce the rebound but with softer flexing boot you won't need so much.

Now remember

Measure twice cut once! Laughing

and

There are more tools that cut than add on Laughing
latest report
tailskidder, some Dutch courage may be required me-thinks!

Looking at the Salomon instructions, it's a shame that the X-Wave 8 boot doesn't have those removeable screws that the 10s have ... would have made life a whole load easier Sad
ski holidays
jonflat2,

Maybe you should just give Profeet a call and get the job priced up. Then work out how much beer you would need to consume before cutting and see if it is worth the hassel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonflat2, with enough beer there is no need to cut the boot. Though you may wish to move to bigger skis. Laughing
snow conditions
jonflat2, Cut the Boot, remove the coller first if you can, cleaner job, but you'll need rivets to replace. Put a Booster strap on to get better rebound.
ski holidays
How do you feel about Boosters on 3-piece AT boots?
ski holidays
comprex, They always improve return to origin. On pebax boots they work a treat, on Poly-Ester boots, i don't think they need the help.
latest report
Right, looking at the salomon manual, I can't see where line "A" and line "B" are marked .... any thoughts Puzzled Or should I just cut the whole triangle out straight off?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 9-03-07 0:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jonflat2, Slide a bent piece of thin metal between the inner & outer shell to act as a depth stop for your knife.
latest report
How much do you weigh is a question that doesn't seem to have been asked, and also your level of experience. Also what time of year did you use the boots last ,ie temperature as that will have a big effect on flex. You might cut them, which might be fine for january, but get into mid/late march and you can end up seriously over flexed at the ankle which is as bad as not having enough flex.
Maybe speak to Andi McCann at www.mccannix.com he helps salomon develop boots, he's sorted loads of peoples boots out who i know.
An x wave 8 isn't a really stiff boot, it comes up at around the same as the ten eightys and other boots intended for the park
Also spending a bit more time with them will help as they age, and you'll become more adept at using the flex. Then you'll be able to get the most out of them for everything. good luck!
ski holidays
aren't x-wave 8's pretty damn soft? are you sure that you should be making them softer?
snow report
crasher, not quite true about the weight, see above beer comment. Madeye-Smiley Good post, tho.
ski holidays
crasher, Andi Mcann helps Salomon develop boots!? A slight flexing of some truths there!
latest report
Ah, but this is the flexing thread. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
jonflat2, I have the same boots, Snow&Rock thought were a bit stiff for me when I bought them but they are just such a great fit for me that I had to get them. I also looked at the Salomon manual and considered the v cuts but postponed the job and then forgot about it.

I'd forgotten about them being stiff until I read this thread, they seem to be ok now, I'm not fast or graceful but I enjoyed most of the runs in Val D'Isere recently including the Face (black) several times.

When I came away from S&R I checked my flex without boots on and I found a lot of previously undiscovered stiffness in my left ankle which I have flexed regularly since to improve it. I am 6' 1" and about 168 lbs, how about you ?

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy