Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nervous going too fast - legacy of a snowboarder cum skier

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

why not enjoy tucking when the conditions allow?

Er ............ see post above.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

why not enjoy tucking when the conditions allow?

Er ............ see post above.

Why, because you think it makes people who do it look ridiculous? What judgemental nonsense! Just so long as people are having fun and aren't a danger to other slope users why should they have to conform to some standardised idea of what is acceptable behaviour for their age? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I even get into a tuck on my bicycle and I'm not even a racer - but after what Lizzard has said I must look a bit of a prat so from now on I will sit bolt upright when I'm whizzing downhill with a steep incline up the other side.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
funny, but one never knows how bad one looks until one is told by someone else wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops wrote:
funny, but one never knows how bad one looks until one is told by someone else wink

Or is shown the video Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yip, nasty new invention that video stuff for middle aged lardies in the tuck position Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely the more modern position is to stand upright but bend forward at the waist while holding poles neatly behind you. Still exposes back bottom crack for middle aged lardies but you look more "down with the kids". To be truly & literally down with the kids you would simply recline totally on the back of your twin tip skis before "skiing it to the road switch" but I suspect back spasms would prevent the latter part from being possible.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, I saw a new style yesterday: Ski switch, flex forward at the waist to grab the ski tips, then throw your weight forward so you are skiing on the tips and the central part of your ski is up off the snow (bit like doing a wheelie, but facing backwards).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Scarpa, you'll get more speed and better control from staying on your edges than you will from stuffing your head between your knees and hoping for the best.

But who says that I do that. When I tuck I am still in full control and able to steer.

I use my edges when in a tuck at times, but I've been in a group all blasting at the same speed and by simply tucking in I've overtaken them all and made it to the end of the flat section well ahead. It's amazing how much difference wind resistance makes. Sitting up on a bike at 150 loses about 20-30mph in seconds, skiing shows a similar effect (although at smaller speeds when not on the flying k).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa, is that before or after your arms detach from your body?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Longer skis help with fore and aft balance in choppy conditions, but it's not just about length. I can ski much much faster on 165cm Fischer WC SC or Atomic SX11s than I can on a pair of 176 Bandit B1s before it feels unsafe. If you were carving on the edge of your board, you should be able to carve turns with a higher level ski that feels good at high speeds.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

by simply tucking in I've overtaken them all and made it to the end of the flat section well ahead

Becasue we're all in such a rush on the mountain aren't we. Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

by simply tucking in I've overtaken them all and made it to the end of the flat section well ahead

Some people like to go slow, some people like to go quick. Aren't both attitudes equally valid?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I wanna go fast!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly wrote:
rob@rar, I wanna go fast!

Brilliant, just make sure you stay safe Smile
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Not in a rush at all - but watching all the rest spending a few minutes poling or doing impressions of cross country skiers gasping and sweating in the sun whilst I make it to the end of the flat section with the aid of good old gravity does feel better to me for some indefinable reason NehNeh

I'm not advocating charging about everywhere - just looking at the terrain ahead and choosing a suitable speed for the conditions. In some situations a tuck can have dramatic advantages.
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, Hi Peter, Once I mastered tracks on a board i rather perversely quite enjoyed them (providing they were not full of slow sliders)as the narrowness meant turns were limited and I could just blast them. On skis I tried a similar thing (once I got past the overwhelming urge to turn sideways) and found my skis chattered uncomfortably. Once I was told to keep my weight forward (shins to boots) which the tuck encouraged I found it pretty comfortable and an opportunity to rest which was never available on a board.

Now if I knew what to do with poles and could stop myself turning sideways on chairs I'd be sorted...........
snow report
Sounds like a Racing snowplough. Your poles must be vertical.. .. ..

And if you you can find someone to 'draft' you go even further without walking, the downside being loosing an eye when they stand up and start polling unexpectedly Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy