Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My new boots...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got my boots fitted before I went away at the beginning of feb, at first they were nice and snug but through the week they seemed to get looser until my heel moves up and down a bit, tightening them does seem to help a little but also makes them alot less comfortable.

Is there anything you can do to help hold the heel in place a little better?

Thanks, George
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
george_1, what boots did you get? Where did you buy them? Who fitted them?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, They are Head Mojo boots, bought at glide and slide, fitted by them aswell.

They are heatfit liners aswell, if thats any help?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
george_1, What size. how tall are you, how would you describe your build?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
they are a size 11, I am almost exactly 6ft and I weigh about 12 stone, quite skinny with a big belly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
george_1, Have you removed the liner, put your foot in the shell, moved your foot forward to have gentle presure on the big toe, then looked down the back of the shell for space between your heel and the back of the shell? I fear you have around 3cm! Also this shell is the widest and highest volume, high performance shell. A Nordica Hot Rod in size 9 or 10 would be worth a look! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
george_1,

Heel Hold - That’s' the million dollar question

Let’s take an objective look at it

1) If your skiing is technically polished, heel hold isn't such a major issue as you very rarely lift your heel. You will keep the planta surface of your foot in contact 95% of the time - thus a 'balanced skier'. Note: there is a huge difference between contact and applying reactive turning forces.

Please before you all start hitting the 'post button' this doesn't include jumping, riding lifts or any occasion where the ski/boot is airborne, short swings in the steep etc.

(And for those who want some evidence please click here http://www.novel.de/multi/Gliding_divX.avi this is a clip of the Canadian team using an in-boot pedograph to measure plantar pressure - by inserting a pedograph into each boot and using Blue tooth telemetry we can transmit the data back to a computer - this data is synchronously captured with DV - you will notice this skier is holding a PDA, well he is looking at his foot pressure - live. You will see that whilst turning the centre of the heel (inside ski) remains in contact although with very little pressure). The system is about £30,000 if anyone is interested.

2) You have lack of flexion - as a result your foot becomes a lever and up pops your heel.
3) Flexing from the forefoot - this is common - many people get their weight forward by standing on the ball of their foot and 'folding at the waist' thinking they are flexing the ankle - as the heel lifts.
4) Finally you boots are a) too big, b) wrong volume and that you may have a little 2) & 3).

There many variables that also affect heel hold - temp, sweat, poor buckling, buckle position etc, but if you are skiing technically well and have a good well fitted pair of boots and you are ski fit/flexible you shouldn’t suffer.

In my experience the majority 'my heel moves' is a result of 4) with a combination 2) & 3) - although 2) & 3) can ruin a well fitted pair of boots.

That said; if you are 1) you will have owned enough pairs of boots to get a real good feel of what your boot fit needs are.

If you had your shell checked and your boots are okay, try skiing with your boots unclipped (groomed red) you will soon know whether you are 2 or 3.

Boot size? If you want - take the liner out - put your foot back in the shell position your foot; 1) with the big toe just touching (kissing) the front of the shell and get a mate to stick his Digital camera down the cuff and capture the gap between your heel and the back of the heel cup; 2) Same again but this time ensure you have equal distance between toe/front of boot and heel and heel cup. Post the images on the site and I am sure between SZK, CEM and any other boot fitter here on the site they will tell you if the boot is too big. It would help if you could draw two lines in biro on your heel 1 cm apart so we could calibrate the gap.

Note: Standing in the lift queue lifting teh heel up and down will not help

Atb Tailskidder
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, your fear is realised, there is about 3 cm of space behind my heel, im presuming this isnt something that I can overcome, and will have to try new boots.

I'll have to wait till the start of next season and may get some in Tignes when I start my season out there!

I will ski in the boots I have for now, only got the eosb left this year so cant justify having new boots fitted just for that.

tailskidder, It seems quite obvious to me that the boot is too big, so I will not bother with digital photos (unless someone wants to judge the severity of it..?)
I know im not an amazing skiier so I dont think they will hold me back too much!

Thanks for the advice!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
george, does the shop not give a comfort guarantee for the first year???
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I think they may have done, I'll take the boots back and see what they say, I always feel bad returning stuff though Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
george_1, take them back, swallow hard and take them in.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, suppose I have to really, but still feel bad as it was me that said they felt fine when I tried them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
george_1 wrote:
Helen Beaumont, suppose I have to really, but still feel bad as it was me that said they felt fine when I tried them.

That isn't your fault though - boots can often feel ok at first then pack out and become too loose. If they'd stuck really small ones on you then you would have told the shop they were too tight so they would then have given you bigger anyway! I'm sure they'd be fine sorting them out to improve the heel hold - it's what the guys are there for.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petemillis, true, I will give them a call and arrange a time to go sort it sometime next week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy