Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route from Munich to Saalbach ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Hertz site recommends using the A12, getting off north of Kufstein and then the B172 and B178 to Lofer and then the B311.

The Michelin site says take the A8 almost as far as Salzburg and then the B21 to Lofer while the AA uses yet another route.

Looking at the map I'm even wondering if it's worth carrying on past Salzberg on the A10 as far as Bischofshofen and coming in on the B311 from the east.

We're travelling in the late evening so don't expect traffic to be an issue and time is of the essence as we want to be in the bar asap !!

Any thoughts / recommendations appreciated !!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichA, do you/will you have a vingette? I seem to remember that not having one affected my choice of route. I was heading to Zell, rather than Saalbach, and ended up going through Lofer...but can't remember the road numbers Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RichA, dont know about the other routes - but I do know the Bischofshofen route (I live 20mins away). It will take you less than 40 mins from the Bischofshofen turning from the A10. It will take you approx 20-25 mins from Salzburg to Bischofshofen turning. Dont speed through the tunnels - they have camaras! Its one road - very easy journey.

A friend also went from Saalbach to Salzburg airport - journey time 1 hour 10 mins - not on the motorway.

Hope that helps

Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B, the vingette are easy enough to get hold off and if that's quicker we'll get one .. anything for an extra beer !!

flangesax, sounds like about 60-65 mins then from Salzburg to Saalbach on the motorway and 70 to the airport not on the motorway . any idea which side the airport is ???
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually go to Kufstein on the motorway, then take the 173 / 312 to St Johann, then 164 to Saalfelden, 311 to Maishofen and finally 764 to Saalbach

very straightforward, not usually very busy, don't need a vignette, max of 2 hours from Munich Airport
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers AlpineWalker, that does look the most direct route ... i just seem to remember the 164 being very windy but then i guess the routes down to Lofer are aswell .. don't get me wrong, i love windy mountain roads but i prefer them when it's daylight and i'm not in a rush !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichA, What's the wind got to do with it. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RichA wrote:
cheers AlpineWalker, that does look the most direct route ... i just seem to remember the 164 being very windy !!

they're all pretty windy once you're off the motorway Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
might be very windy tonight .. i've just had a vegetable curry !!

thanks for your help AlpineWalker, ... got an early party who are going to take the Michelin recomended route and they're going to call and let us know how it goes .. if it's slow we'll take your route
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RichA wrote:
thanks for your help AlpineWalker

you're welcome, good luck with the travelling and have a great time while you're there Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For the record we went the other route via Saalfelden and Lofer. The advance party had gone that route and done it in 2.5 hours and we didn't want to risk losing beer time so we followed them.

We were intending to try AlpineWalker's route on the way back but the car we hired was so pants that we decide to stick on the less (as I remember) mountainy route we used to get there.

cheers anyway

PS ... pretty reasonable conditions in Saalbach considering how brown it looks in the valley ... even the resort runs were doable and not particuarly more slushy than you'd expect at this time of year ... and the apres was excellent as usual !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy