Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie travelling alone

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I was first introduced to skiing this season and loved it - and was told I did rather well (well they would say that, wouldn't they).

Anyway, I might have a free week, and fancied disappearing off on my own. Where should I go, and where should I stay? Do 'chalets' offer fun for people on their own? As a sole traveller on half board, would I be incorporated into the general party atmosphere at dinner time, or would I be Jimmy no mates stuck out in a corner on my own?

Where should I go?

Many thanks Timmyo.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
timmyo, welcoem to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
timmyo,

EoSB - 21st April Val Thorens Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I was going to do a chalet as a single but decided to do this instead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
timmyo, Welcome. Have you looked here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21595

I thoink chalets a great idea. try for a firm that does ski hosting and single rooms. Hosting is a great way to meet folks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all for your posts. Any recommendations as to a firm/resort/chalet that would be suitable? Cheaper the better, obviously, but not a baked beans on toast sort of place. Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
timmyo, it's usually really easy to fit in with a chalet crowd, although much of the time tour-ops sell rooms rather than beds so they'll be after a supplement from you if you're a solo traveller.

As holidayloverxx says though, if you're free the last week of April, loads of us are off to Val Thorens for the End Of Season Bash. Ideal for Single Skiers: room-mates supplied as required Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
timmyo,

Skiworld want £210 single supplement for a week in most chalets.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I go skiing 50/50 often on my Jack Jones. I recommend youth hostelling, half the people are there on their own are geniuinely into skiing and its usually a laugh. Try the Chamoniard Volant in Chamonix. Its also cheap to so you can go more than once a year (hopefully)
best of luck
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So would you say that a single person (paying single supplement) wouldn't be eating his bockwurst on his own in a chalet?

>>room-mates supplied as required

I'd be lookng for a non-drinking one Wink obviously! Just been looking at that thread. How to get from the aeroporto to the resorto? I'm a bit... complete, actually... novice at all this.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bigo busso for about £50 return Arrive GVA in the Morning and book a departure after 2pm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In a catered chalet everyone gets fed together by the hosts which provides the perfect opportunity to get to know your fellow guests.
Sometimes people get worried that there will be a group that fills the larger proportion of the chalet but even then, in my experience, often many of the members of the group haven't met before that week so you kind of slip in to the crowd while they're all getting to know each other Wink

For the EoSB there's a bus full of snowHeads going from Geneva to Val-T about mid-day Saturday and returning the following Saturday morning.
Another alternative is to go by train.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
timmyo, if your timing works out for EoSB, take it.

I was debating between that and the MSB a month back. The timing decides for the MSB. (EoSB will have to wait till next season) Otherwise, I see the advantage of EoSB being: quite cheap, difficult transfer already arranged. There're some resorts that are easy to get to, Wengen being one. Others that are not, such as Val Thoren. There's no better way go to a place that are hard to get to by yourself than to join a group of snowhead!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
There're some resorts that are easy to get to, Wengen being one.

4 hours and 4 trains from the airport is your idea of easy to get to? wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
timmyo, welcome to the site and allow me to add my vote that you should join us in Val Thorens... I was in a similar situation last year; family ski holiday had been sacrificed for home improvements, but a week's worth of brownie points were available for a solo trip. After a bit of scouting around and being horrified at the single supplements, I remembered that nice site full of friendly people that I had joined the previous year after discovering following a maiden ski trip at the grand age of 34... and that they'd had a rather good time then, and I wonder if they're doing another one this year? Wink

To unwind that load of drivel, I went to the EoSB last year and had a complete ball. Good accomodation, plenty of snow, cracking deals on equipment hire, top-quality instruction and even better company. I think the whole week cost me around £800 max, and that included a good few beers. What more could you want? snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beedeji, Which airport though?
ski holidays
Jane L wrote:
beedeji, Which airport though?

Geneva, Zurich, Basel, take your pick... (I'm fairly sure abc isn't flying into Berne which is a bit easier but still more than one train away).
snow conditions
Well I just had a solo weekend in Engelberg and it was great.

Single person suppliments are only an issue if you are using a tour operater, which to be honest I can't understand why you would be. Find a cheap flight someplace, book a room in a pension and you're set.

Skiiers are generally friendly people, so you will have no trouble meeting folks. Talk to people on the lifts. Talk to people in the bars. Talk to people while waiting for rentals. If you can't think of anything to say, 'Hey, where are you from' is a decent if unimaginative ice-breaker. If you see a group of people, just ask if you can join. Everyone is there to have a good time.

Going solo is great. You get to do exactly what you want, and you get to meet new people.

Have fun.
ski holidays
beedeji wrote:
abc wrote:
There're some resorts that are easy to get to, Wengen being one.

4 hours and 4 trains from the airport is your idea of easy to get to? wink

Why 4 hours?

It's under 3 hours from Zurich (for me). For the rest of the snowheads, it's less than 2 from Bern.

I'm a train person. I take the train every weekend. So, walking out of one train across the platform to get into the next connection is a weekly affair. The number of change is (almost) irrelavent.

I do wish there're ski bags that has wheels. Not that I want to have them with me this time. Could be useful for some other trips: wheel them to the car hire, for example.
latest report
Quote:

Single person suppliments are only an issue if you are using a tour operater

I quite agree, at least for Europe.

Try North America, you'll pay through the nose for travelling solo. Basically, you're paying for a double room regardless, since most North American hotels don't have such a concept as a single's room.

Tour operators gets discounts by volume and try to fill those (double) rooms with bodies. So a single insisting his own room will have to pay supplement. DIY, you can simply book a single room direct with the hotel/chalet. It still cost a bit more, but not much. Before I found the MSB, I priced a few places, the singles supplement comes out to be a wopping £10 for the week! (no, I didn't drop any zeros) wink

But then, I would miss the fun & company of a bunch of snowheads!
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
timmyo,

Skiworld want £210 single supplement for a week in most chalets.

Having seen a TV programme featuring that company it does not appear to be particularly good value.

You do not have to encourage them by putting business their way, of course.

DIY may be the answer. In the US, sound but cheap motels are available for about $50 a night - which is cheap as chips.

The supplement is only an issue if you choose to pay it.

This sort of discriminatory tour operator pricing would never happen in The Netherlands.

Rude van Latchigo
snow report
Quote:

This sort of discriminatory tour operator pricing would never happen in The Netherlands.

Is it because the Dutch are such an independent bunch? wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy