Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

neck operation

Poster: A snowHead
not sure if this is in the right place but here goes,
I am having a disc out of my neck in the next 3 weeks Crying or Very sad and will be laid up for a while as the vertebrae will have to fuse together Sad
I have been told by someone in SN last week that it might be better for my neck if i forget skiing and learn to board Shocked can anyone shed any light on this situation, they said it would be easier on my neck for some reason or are they trying to get me to the dark side Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472, Sorry to hear about the operation .. sound like fun ...not

Enough doctors here but seems a weird observation, what reason were you given? ..... now if they suggested you should ski if you suffered from piles... Twisted Evil wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would guess, only if you avoid the horizontal aspect. Or at least fast transitions from vertical to horizontal.

On a serious aside, sounds painful, hope everything goes well and there's plenty of snow in your future.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jase2472, ouch! I am no doctor but am guessing that on a board, there is a greater surface area under your feet (hence a smoother ride) and no variations in shock under the feet. However, this supposes that your knees are useless shock absorbers, which is clearly not true. Maybe it's based on an observation that boarders care less about the dangers? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The head is always twised on a board and the crashes tend to happen without warning. IMHO stick to the skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with Frosty. Lots of headbangs (and hence neck-bangs) when boarding. Much less common skiing.
Where did you see/hear this comment jase2472?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The head is always twised on a board and the crashes tend to happen without warning. IMHO stick to the skis.

thats what i wanted to hear Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim wrote:
I agree with Frosty. Lots of headbangs (and hence neck-bangs) when boarding. Much less common skiing.
Where did you see/hear this comment jase2472?

speaking to someone in Sierra Nevada last week
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jase2472, my mate (who is a consultant surgeon) had the same op 3 yrs ago. He is still skiing (had to take a season off Sad )

I can't see the logic in swapping to boarding - how often do you fall skiing? - once or twice a day? How often would you fall learning to snowboard? - once or twice a minute? Puzzled Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick L wrote:
jase2472, my mate (who is a consultant surgeon) had the same op 3 yrs ago. He is still skiing (had to take a season off Sad )

I can't see the logic in swapping to boarding - how often do you fall skiing? - once or twice a day? How often would you fall learning to snowboard? - once or twice a minute? Puzzled Confused

depends on how many boarders run in to me Laughing

that sounds like better news so hopefully i will be ok for next season Razz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, true. In fact boardng is the only wintersport known to have been practised by the ancient Egyptians.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jase2472, this sounds daft. I think in particular the need to look sideways all the time when boarding (well, at least until you get very good) would make my neck ache. I haven't tried boarding*, but we have friends who board and they fall much, much more often than we do, despite one of them being more experienced a boarder than I am on skis. I fall about once a week to once a fortnight when skiing, they seem to fall about twice on every run! Plus there seem to be more "highsides" where you hit your head coming down the hill then when skiing, which are more often "lowsides".

The point about shock absorption is well made, but I have extremely dodgy knees and back, and seem to manage shocks quite effectively on skis (unless doing race training, but that is different, and non-compulsory!).

The only thing I can think of is the doctor is a boarder! Go with whatever is more comfortable for you.

* Going to try learn to board in a day in the Summer to see what it is all about.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, it's fun. Very Happy But it's true to say that falling over is more of a way of life than it is on skis. Boarding is also much more of an all-body activity - expect to have sore arms and shoulders as well as legs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
went on trip to st anton in early jan. Out of the 3 intermediate boarders (3-10 weeks) - all 3 of us went home with a greater or lesser degree of whiplash injuries where we'd taken slams. Myself I was having a great day just piste bashing on blues and reds, all of sudden caught an edge and down I slammed...not sure how it happened..I know nothing medical but I did need to see a chiro when I came home to get it manipulated as it was so stiff I could not turn my neck..as there is less chance of a slam injury sking (based on 3 weeks practice) then I could only imagine that it would be better for you...plus as you're already a better skier than boarder than surely stick with what you know...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whoever gave your that idea of boarding after a neck operation must have been drunk, or worse. Did you, by any chance, owe him money? wink

I took some lessons boarding. After day one, I knew I either need to get a helmet or I wouldn't last the 2nd day! Every time I fell on the heel side, which is 50% of the falls, the back of my head SLAM into the snow with a BANG! I think it probably qualifies as one of the sport NOT for the neck injured.

Even for my most spectacular falls on ski, I tend to land on my side, not my head.
latest report
as a boarder i agree with whats being said - the falls are higher impact and your neck needs to be strong to withstand them - this year I got my gym to set me up on some machines to specifically strengthen my neck muscles to reduce the effect of the whiplash i had last year.
latest report
jase2472, I had a disc removed and subsequent fusion 5 years ago, C4/C5, and was out of hospital within 48 hours, no neck support or anything. When I asked about physiotherapy or any post op care, I was told that my neck was now made of titanium, was stronger than it had ever been, and I should make no changes to my day to day life.....so I still ski with no problems whatsoever....

For my convalescence, a week after the operation, I had a couple of weeks in Europe, took in the Oktoberfest in Munich, onto Innsbruck for some culture, watched the Ryder cup from a bar in Salzburg, then finished up in Prague.....needed a new liver by the time I got home, but the neck was fine....

My pride and joy is the scar which shows itself when I get a tan - my throat was slit from ear to ear....and I have dined out on the stories I have made up about it ever since....
ski holidays
cheers for that mine is c6/c7 i plan to rest in my father-in-lawsa apartment on the costa del sol, they said i will have a 3-4 inch scar, nothing as impressive as you little number snowHead
snow report
Not competent to offer any advice about the skiing/boarding thing. But my best wishes re the operation - hope you recover well from it. Quite encouraging to read Guvnor's remarks.
snow conditions
cheers for that snowHead
ski holidays
In the resort we go to, we've befriended a wonderful mountain man - ski instructor winter, mountain guide in the summer. He was telling us of his brother's (also an instructor) first big off piste trip with a group.

They got to the point of no return - the brother having asked at the bottom if there was anything about the group he needed to know - when one guy turned round & said he had a titanium neck & mustnt fall over Shocked In trepidation the group continued but within 5 mins the said guy took an enormous tumble. Jean ( the bro) was taking no more chances & called the helicopter. Shocked The guy was badly bruised & pride immensely dented, but otherwise unharmed.

So jase2472, be sure to let any guide know about your neck at the bottom of the mountain Toofy Grin . And good luck with the op Smile
ski holidays
jase2472 wrote:
not sure if this is in the right place but here goes,
I am having a disc out of my neck in the next 3 weeks Crying or Very sad and will be laid up for a while as the vertebrae will have to fuse together Sad
I have been told by someone in SN last week that it might be better for my neck if i forget skiing and learn to board Shocked can anyone shed any light on this situation, they said it would be easier on my neck for some reason or are they trying to get me to the dark side Razz

Nae, nae and thrice nae!

I cannot see ANY benefit of switching to boarding. Your capacity to absorb bumps & terrain is less in a sideways stance. You have only one "platform" so crashes are more likely and likely to happen quicker...no "other leg" to rely on! As previously mentioned by others, you're twisted from the start. Plus...you'll always fall more trying something new...so if you can already ski, stick to that!
snow conditions
jase2472,
Quote:

I have been told by someone in SN

Since nobody at all seems to agree wtih this advisor, I now want to know - what is "SN"?
ski holidays
I was told by my massage therapist in Val (yeah, ok, it was a no-expenses spared holiday Wink) that the highest incidence of injuries she saw to boarders involved necks and collarbones, whilst in skiers it was knees. Another vote for sticking to skiing.
snow report
Nick L, SN is sierra nevada
latest report
Thanks jase2472, I thought maybe SN should now stand for Stupid Numpty-land in view of the universal disagreement with them in this thread.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy