Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Side Cut, Atomic SKis Need Upgrade Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm currently skiing on Atomic Beta Ride's 11:20's. I love these skis but at times I wish I had a smaller ski for faster turning in the moguls and trees but I also love going fast and make wide turns. I'm currently 195lbs. and ski 170's. The ski comes to the top of my head. I always feel rock solid on the Beta Rides. They are very stable at fast skis and do OK in the depp snow and eat up groomers. My side cut is 107-70-90. All my skiing is out in Utah. The conditions are always powder and packed powder. I was thinking of going with a 155cm ski. I was lookking at the Atomic Metron EX, its sidecut is 118-84-111. The Metron has a much wider base and more side cut. Can any one give me advice on how a ski that is shorter with more sidecut would ski compared to my older Beta Rides. I tried to demo at PC but they didn''t have a Metron available.

My wife has the Atomic 918's 104-62-93 (woman's version) and I was also thinking of getting her a smaller ski. She weighs 120lbs. so I wanted to go with a 145cm she currently is on a 160cm.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
traderfjp, stay with the 170 length; that ski is WAY too stiff to float in Utah in 155cm under 195 lbs. In fact, 155cm would have to be significantly over 100mm waist to float 195lbs in Utah.

If you get back to PC, try the Elan 777/888, Blizzard Titan 9, Atomic Snoop Daddy, Volkl Karma, all between 170 and 185cm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

I can live with 170cm. I'm 5'8". However, my current side cut is 107-70-90. How would a similiar ski (stifness) with a sidecut of 118-84-111 ski. I'm afraid that it may want to turn too much and be less responsive on groomers. Also, how would this side cut generally perfrom in moguls? I once rented skis that were much softer than my current Beta Rides and hated them. They wanted to turn and I felt like I fought them and had very little stability. My current skis are rock solid everywhere. I'm trying to justify a ski upgrade or perhaps keep my current skis. I thought I might like the extra float of a wider base but I'm not sure what my tradeoffs would be.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
traderfjp, using my best guess as to how you turn, (and I might be way off), I think a M:EX would be (for you):

- a little slower to turn on groomers when you first try it, but you'd quickly (within a week) get used to that and they would be just as stable once you get an edge set.
- just as, if not much more, stable on cut-up snow and in mashed potatoes
- a bit of a handful in frozen bumps maybe a little more so than your 11.20s (slower, maybe a bit more tail hangup)
- sensitive to front-to-back balance in fluff

I am basing that opinion on the ski's flex as well as the sidecut.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex wrote:
traderfjp, stay with the 170 length; that ski is WAY too stiff to float in Utah in 155cm under 195 lbs. In fact, 155cm would have to be significantly over 100mm waist to float 195lbs in Utah.

If you get back to PC, try the Elan 777/888, Blizzard Titan 9, Atomic Snoop Daddy, Volkl Karma, all between 170 and 185cm.

Like an Icelantic Nomad. 156cm or 169cm and 105mm inderfoot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kiwi1, something like that, yes.

BTW, I notice a -lot- of 155cm M:EXs on Fleabay. There's a reason for that (its not a size that fits most folks) & don't let yourself get tempted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comprex: I was actually looking at the Atomic Metron M:EX. The guy at the demo center said that my Beta Ride 11:20 is one of the best skis that Atomic has made. I love them but keep seeing skis with more shape. From what you said it sounds like there aren't too many positives to going to a wider ski..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
traderfjp, immediate positives: stability in chop and mixed chop/refrozen chunks, broader platform in pow. Beyond that it becomes related to style.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy