Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I the only one that gets only one week skiing a year?

Poster: A snowHead
Nadenoodlee, I find it enlightend and compassionate ...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly, Nadenoodlee, Enough now wink They will NOT be at EOSB --- I dont think I dare bring them!! Be nice Little Angel boys :
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moon, don't worry, you aren't the first, IncogSkiSno auctioned off her daughter when she hit 10,000 posts. It didn't last and she soon got her back Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moon, im a girl, whose father doesnt whore her out, incidently.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, Auctioning, now I hadnt thought of that ? Sounds a lot more civilised than ' Pimping' Could pay for a ski trip or two.
I suppose if they are fed and watered well, I may consider it? Puzzled I could go for it after 100 posts ---??--- Why wait rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moon, lol fair enough.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee[/b], I am a MOTHER snowHead (NOT A FATHER) HAVING A JOKE OR TWO WITH FELLOW SNOWHEADS.
RATHER A STRONG RESPONSE I FEEL. OH AND FANCY YOU KNOWING SUCH NAUGHTY WORDS.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, THANKS Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its all snow heads fault....

season 01/02: 1 week Val D'Isere
season 02/03: MK snow dome
season 03/04: 1 week Oberamergau/Garmisch, 1 week Flaine snowHead
season 04/05: 2 weeks Norway, 1 week Les deux Alpes, 10 days whistler/big white snowHead snowHead
Last year 05/06: 1 week Les Menuires, 1 week Val Thorens, 10 Days Lake Tahoe, Weekend Les Carroz, Weekend Valmorel, 1 week Verbier. snowHead snowHead snowHead

This year, new job, house move, new baby, war on two fronts... hopefully there will be snow in les carroz 1st week in April Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having done several extended trips in the last few years here’s a few tips :

1. Make a plan to have kids – this is the perfect excuse to have one last blow out – say a 2 month ski trip – but then each year for 5 years or so put it off till next year.
2. Get a flexible job – say IT freelancer
3. Be careful to take partners along on trips – once made this mistake with a now ex.
4. Once you have kids it get s a lot more difficult – though not impossible
5. Get a mate with an apartment in a ski resort.
6. Become a ski instructor
7. And finally as Warren Miller said “never heard anyone on their death bed say they wish they’d spent more time in the office"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waynos,

1. Gone beyond the planning stage - I have 2.
2. Tick - freelance translator
3. Nah. You get loads more invites to join people on holiday as a single person.
4. Divorce your partner. Then they have the kids while you go skiing. That's how for the first time in 10 years I managed a week's chalet holiday, a weekend in Switzerland and am off to Les Arcs in 3 weeks' time. He'd never have let me do that if we'd still been married.
5. Tick
6. -
7. Agreed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos,

1. Not married, never married, no kids so....................x
2. Teacher. Got to go in school holidays.......................x
3. Never....................................................................TICK
4 No Kids...................................................................TICK
5. I wish....................................................................x
6. No Hope.................................................................x
7. Also agreed............................................................TICK
snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moon, Wow shouty- menopausal?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TimDog,

My wife is teacher - supply teacher - come on no excuses!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waynos, Sussed! Laughing
ski holidays
Alternative answer to 2: Become a teacher, go on school ski trip.
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
moon, Wow shouty- menopausal?

I think this part of the thread is getting a bit personal - maybe call a truce guys?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx[/b], Thank You I can quite see now how this "Trolling" stuff can make others upset/cross. Sad Evil or Very Mad
Particularly when completly unwarrented Puzzled ( im a girl, whose father doesnt whore her out, incidently. ) (Wow shouty- menopausal?) (pimping your daughters. Nice touch.) Frankly unnecessary comments I feel.

However - My intention never was to sideline Megamums thread ~ So You are Quite right lets get back to it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Not wishing to inflame matters but I only recently realised that block caps = shouting on this t'internet thing. remember no-one exists on the internet..whhoooooooooo Skullie

Is anyone here not going skiing this season?
latest report
Quote:

My intention never was to sideline Megamums thread

moon, I wouldn't worry about it no-one else seems to Sad

- I'm getting quite used to it wink

Back to the thread - I might try to increase my skiing and may plan a day at MK dome later on this year- just for the experience.
snow conditions
pielot, nope ! off for my 2nd trip this season on friday Laughing
Since introducing my partner to the delights of the white stuff we plan for 2 trips a season or next year canada, 2weeks on one trip
Due to minimum a/l allocation i cant afford more than 2 weeks a year Crying or Very sad
latest report
pielot, No idea about the shout thing either! Are you not getting away this season? If not why not?
snow report
Talking of the Spending Kids Inheritance (SKI), my old dad has sold up and is doing just that after seeing his wife's mum's savings disappearing rapidly to pay for health care. But he did send me a lovely cheque for Christmas that helped towards an extra weeks skiing this year!!!!

So I did a week in Pamporovo at new year, a week in Montgenevre in Feb and hoping to do another long week-end or the EOSB.

Last year I did a week in Bansko in Feb, a week in Serre Che and a long w/e in Meribel.

I started with w/es in Avimore, then weeks, and now 15 days per year feels like its not enough so it's definitely a snowHead thing.
snow conditions
Unfortunately we are also the sad Sad few that only have 1 weeks skiing a year (due to lack of money and work commitments of hubby). We too have also just discovered Snowheads, I log on every day at work (unknown to my boss) reading all the posts, dreaming of the slopes, then again when I get home, then when I get up in the morning...............................so want to go skiing again. The nearest we get is taking our son to the dry slope every week (20 mins away) for 2 hrs - he loves it...................................so want to go skiing.......................sooooo want to go!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
One thing that changed my approach was the frustration that each year I didn't seem to get any better. Going only 1 week a year for a few years meant that I didn't want to spend it all in ski school so I took fewer lessons (and also it took me a few days to get the ski legs back each trip). Just as I thought I was doing as well as the year before, it was time to go home Sad

I go more often now, but will usually go for less than a week. That way there is always something to look forward to.

One of the cheapest times to go is during the Whitsun half term (end May/beginning June). Conditions on the glaciers are still great and there is still plenty of skiing, but the hotels are empty and offering good deals. Cheap flights with the budgets and you are away snowHead
latest report
Ray Zorro, I'm totally with you on the rationale behind little and often (although obviously I would prefer it to be a lot, and often Wink. After a week in Val d'Isere, finally managing some of the hardest reds in the resort, I reached the "damn, a few more days and I coulda done Face" stage. So two weeks later I booked myself on a flight to Switzerland, and when I stepped into my bindings on Friday of last week and took the first run down the slope on new snow it felt like heaven on earth. I conquered some of my remaining fears (at the end of a week in Val I still had a mental block about narrow and bumps, although ice hardly bothers me now) and as I packed up on Sunday after a glorious day's skiing I thought "right, Les Arcs, 3 weeks' time, next step..." The conditions will be different, the runs will be different, and I can feel that I'm making definite progress. So at least when I finish the season I will know I've got certain things in the bag, as it were. Who knows how long it might have taken to sort out the narrow/bump thing if I'd had to wait until next year to approach them again?
snow report
Lots of good stuff here. I too was a once a year man (same for skiing wink ) The first year I went twice was just after I discovered snowheads. I originally thought more than once a year was total decadance, but have come to realise that going more than once (and having lessons) has helped me improve. I also worked out that certain joints are wearing out with age and that I best get skiing while I can. Luckily all my family now share my passion juswt as much as I do. We are even looking at a week in L2A in the summer. Happy times Very Happy
latest report
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, L2A in the summer, do it. Very Happy

I can thoroughly recommend the Residence Cortina that's bookable direct on www.2alpes.com btw, and plenty of good restaurants nearby around the Place de Venosc. Summer prices are a bargain. (which is just as well because you will inevitably rack up a big spend on ski passes, bike hire, summer luge, etc. etc).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, I am in the same boat in many ways.
Learnt at 20, now mid 40's. For the first 20 years we were 1 week/season.
Then the kids started to get good, us parents were stuck on that plateau.
We decided to get serious with lessons and discovered Verbier byvirtue of a friend's generous offer to use his chalet.
We the found Warren Smith who made a huge difference to our skiing.
We got hooked...really hooked! Decided to go mad and buy a shack for ourselves...

We (the oldies) are now very aware that at our age, time is not in our favour. I'll dry to keep that age factor to a minimum though, I've not been as fit since I was a kid, and I've never been a better skier. However tick-tock....the age (and injury) clock.

This season we will have taken seven trips, three of which were a week (New Year, 1/2 term, Easter) and four 2-day weekends.

It means we are tight on holiday-days (and money!) but as somebody said once: "Live every day as if it will be your last, because one day it will be"
snow report
rungsp, Mid 40's ? I didnt start skiing till I wes 40.(I'm now 60,my wife is 63) three years ago we bought a place in Austria. This year I broke my leg skiing, but it hasn't put me off. Cant wait to get back to it.. .I am looking forward to a few more years yet. so I hope you enjoy your next 20 years before you catch me up. Razz
ski holidays
Byron Gates, good for you.
My Godfather got retired from skiing in his mid 80's after he became too frail to deal with the chairlift...the actual skiing was still OK though (slowly and carefully).
My Grandfather didn't learn until he was 63, he enjoyed several trips after that.

There is hope for us all!!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, you won't regret a week in the Alps in the Summer, in fact I think we are going for two weeks.
latest report
Byron Gates, I salute you ! I wannabe there ..

rungsp, Yes but did they drink every day ? RESPECT ! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Byron Gates wrote:
rungsp, Mid 40's ? I didnt start skiing till I wes 40.(I'm now 60,my wife is 63) three years ago we bought a place in Austria. This year I broke my leg skiing, but it hasn't put me off. Cant wait to get back to it.. .I am looking forward to a few more years yet. so I hope you enjoy your next 20 years before you catch me up. Razz

Good for you, Byron!

I was taking a lesson this past Sunday and there were 4 of us. One of the guy looked fit and skied fine. And it wasn't until we were riding the chair he mentioned something about retired 20 years ago. So, we asked him how old he is. 83 was the answer! More over, his wife of 80 is also skiing with him.

Since we were taking lessons, we were doing strange things. So he took a few tumble. But every time he got up, shook the snow off and ready to go again.

wannapop wrote:
Unfortunately we are also the sad Sad few that only have 1 weeks skiing a year (due to lack of money and work commitments of hubby). We too have also just discovered Snowheads, I log on every day at work (unknown to my boss) reading all the posts, dreaming of the slopes, then again when I get home, then when I get up in the morning...............................so want to go skiing again. The nearest we get is taking our son to the dry slope every week (20 mins away) for 2 hrs - he loves it...................................so want to go skiing.......................sooooo want to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should take your son and go skiing. Surely daddy would understand? wink
ski holidays
1988/89 season: 1 week madonna di campiglio (no snow, one slope open, rubbish way to learn)
2001/02 season: 1 weekend chamonix
2002/03 season: 1 week tignes
2003/04 season: 1 week tignes and 1 weekend vdi
2004/05 season: nothing! argh!
2005/06 season: 1 week val thorens, 1 weekend chamonix, 1 weekend vdi
2006/07 season: 1 week meribel, 1 weekend sauze d'oulx (hardly any snow again! damn italy), 1 weekend chamonix
2007/08 season: whole season in tignes (hopefully)

as someone above said it's all a question of priorities. i am saving like a loony to afford a season and putting my career at risk. most people could do it if they wanted, but it means giving up other things. i found skiing relatively late but to me life is very short and you are dead for an eternity so best get cracking at the stuff you love right now. you won't get a second chance.
ski holidays
goaty, and where amongst that lot did you join snowHeads? It's notable that for me it was in the jump from 1 week a year to 3 weeks!
ski holidays
Swirly, i joined at the end of last year, i think, but i was a lurker before. snowheads and natives have definitely contributed to my desire to do a season and given me the belief that i can do it. so, yes, they have helped to increase my ski fever!
snow report
Next week will be my 4th in 20 years. First two times I didn't take to it at all and gave it up. Then last year I decided to give it one more go before I got too past it and it just seemed to click a lot better. It was Mrs Jeraffs first time last year and like my first time she didn't take to it too well either so she isn't coming this year. I have a lot of catching up to do but not sure if I'll be able to do more than one week a year.
ski holidays
Made me think

1995 1 week
1996 1 week
1997 1 week
1998 0 weeks Sad
1999 1 week
2000 1 week
2001 2 weeks
2002 2 weeks
2003 2 weeks (Canada) and short break
2004 2 weeks
2005 3 weeks (Short break, Whistler, and PSb)
2006 5 weeks ( 4 winter ones and PSB)
2007 1 day (!!!) so far, 2 weeks planned. Not good enough. Spent last trip with sore knee.
ski holidays
When you set it out like that it looks like a lot - here goes (years might be a bit out but the plalces are right)

1991 (March) 1 week St Wolfgang beginner week
1991 (December) 1 week Livigno
1992 nothing (got married instead)
1993 1 week Cervinia
1994 1 week Cervinia
1995 1 week Valloire
1996 1 week Cervinia
1997 nothing
1998 1 week Banff
1999 1 week Quebec City - Mont Ste Anne & Stoneham
2000 nothing
2001 nothing
2002 1 week Whistler
2003 nothing
2004 nothing
2005 1 week Banff
2006 1 week Breckenridge
2007 1 week Tremblant
2007 1 week EoSB - Hoorah

It's true - being a snowHead really makes you want to do so much more. I've never driven to the Alps but am sorely tempted for next year to get some extra time in. BTW Mr HL is a keen skiier and he has 3 extra trips on me - 1 to Scotland and 1 more to Cervinia and Banff. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy