Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I the only one that gets only one week skiing a year?

Poster: A snowHead
It's not fair I keep reading all these posts where folks get to spend literally weeks skiing a year. I don't know how you all manage it. Am I the only one on here that thinks themselves lucky if I get one week a year?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, I used to be like you. But then I found snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get 1 week (expensive, crowded (poor snow) half term) plus........

a long weekend (this year 22/3) with my lurvly wife in a posh hotel.

She's so lucky
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum,

I've only ever had 1 week until this year, partly due to funds (and lack thereof) and partly because I like a winter sun week as well.

Roll on EOSB Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It starts with one week a year....... snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This year I am doing:

2 days at PSB

6 days in La Ros

Hopefully 2 days at Nevis/ Aviemore snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this year im doing:

6 Days in Kitzbuehel (done)

the Eosb!

Tignes in december, for the season Very Happy

Cannntt wait!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
this year I'm working three weeks and holidaying one (the MSB)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, we've been very lucky indeed, but Mr DS always used to go on two week holidays, so we decided to start off with 2 weeks in Alpe d'Huez in 2005. This was difficult for me to do because of annual leave rules at work (not allowed to take more than 2 weeks in term time during the whole academic year). However, in 2006 with early retirement, we just thought "why not?" and did three weeks in Jan, Feb and March, then pre-season week in November. For 2007 again, two weeks followed by another week planned. But then we are also not people who want to sit on the beach for two weeks in August, so are happy to use our leave on skiing.

I think most people are not in the position to be able to take the time off, or find the money, to go more than one week a year, and so we are very lucky. I've retired, Mr DS has just been made redundant, and we have an unusual period of freedom to go skiing and enjoy ourselves.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done about 12 weeks this winter
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum,
My total so far:

PSB@ L2A: 4 days
Cairngorm: 3 days
Nevis Range: 11 days
Sierra Nevada: 4 days

To come:
2 days at Glenshee or Lecht- hopefully
1 day at Glencoe - definatly
another day at Cairngorm
Several more days at Nevis (last day last season was on 1st May)
Season ticket @ Nevis is looking like real value at £ 208 with the best bit of the season still to come Very Happy
+
EoSB @ValT 6 days
Very Happy snowHead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 4-03-07 22:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II,

Nice snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, with a 27 bedroom house can't you afford it?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, How many 1 week trips have you done? I've found that its one of those things that takes time to grow especially if kids and non-skiig partners are factored in. In the early 90s my friends and I were allowed to go on a skiing weeend in Scotland as a 35th birthday present. This was repeated the next year and so, thereby, a tradition and ritual was established. Over 10 years we have been able to progress to at least a week and occasionally 2 weeks (separated by an appropriate repatriation with spouses and children. Stick with it and you'll get longer in the snow (softly, softly, catchee monkey) Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bh1, sorry to spoil the misconception that I'm one of the wealthy minority - A - its my parents house, C - there's one big story attached to how we got here from my parents 3 bed end terrace, B - to get all the bedrooms needed a second mortgage, C - its also a smallholding - they are not just big pits that you tip cash into they actually 'suck' as well!! Shocked

halfhand, 2 x 1 week I guess about 10/11 years ago, and 1 week this year and 1 week last year

II, Well, I guess you're a bit closer to the Scottish snow that I am so I can't blame you for taking advantage, however, I'm quite jealous. Spindrift, 12 weeks Shocked - do you work in the industry?

Other's well at least I'm not quite alone - thanks
snow report
Megamum, move to scotland. then you can drop everything and just go skiing when you want. Ok its easier for us as we dont have kids as we still had time for climbing, walking and weddings for the rest of the year..

Just to stir things though we had 3 weeks abroad last year + 7 days in cairngorm/nevis/glencoe..... my day of the year was at nevis , knee deep powde Smile
ski holidays
I've had 2 attempts at joining a pre-EOSB only to be denied by a greedy boss snagging the holiday time in front of me. so selfish
ski holidays
Megamum, When I started skiing I used to have a 1 week holiday every year and it was never enough. When I did a couple of weeks in a year it was better. Then Mr Geetee and I started going to Whistler and one year we managed about 5 weeks (4 in Whistler and 1 in Europe) - wow! Last season we were lucky and were able to go for 3 months which was fantastic but it meant that this year's 3 week holiday was too short Sad So I'm off to Verbier on Wednesday for a long weekend and Mr Geetee is going to Morzine at the end of March and this will be our final ski fix until next season. We don't really do the summer holiday thing. We just save up for and go on ski holidays!! Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, yes. NehNeh 4 weeks this year.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
It's not fair I keep reading all these posts where folks get to spend literally weeks skiing a year. I don't know how you all manage it. Am I the only one on here that thinks themselves lucky if I get one week a year?

No, you aren't.

My first ski trip was in Jan '97 - a Christmas/birthday present from my wife (B'day 14th Jan).

This year's trip was my 6th trip in that time. I would probably have managed one per year but had two daughters in college (both at once for one year), which sucked up far too much money.

I don't ever expect to get more than one trip per year unless I win the lottery, because my wife has absolutely no interest whatsoever in skiing - or even going somewhere suitable for skiing, so it just wouldn't be fair to spend more than that on something purely for me.
snow report
4 weeks and 4 days this year, and 3 weeks and 4 days last, although we were there for 5 weeks in total, I was so busy buying furniture, I didn't have time to ski.
ski holidays
4 weeks last year, and will be 5 this year
snow report
Lots of weak skiing wink ..... and 4 weeks this season. 3 weeks last season, 2 the one before, 1 the one before that. Hmmm now how many next year?
snow conditions
We only manage 2 weeks skiing - one with brother in law and his kids, the other a group of skiing 'friends' whom we only see once a year for said skiing hol. Unfortunately it's only 1 week this year due to hubby breaking his collar bone (luckily before second trip booked).
We'd possibly do more except we like scuba diving too and can't decide which to drop to double up on the other. So we'll stick with the two different (expensive) hobby hols.
ski holidays
Megamum, this is the first year i have managed 2 weeks Very Happy

I started to ski at 12 years old on a school trip to Pamoravo , 2 more school trips to Norway by the time I was in the first year of 6th form Smile

Then one every year until we had kids rolling eyes last year they were 7 and 5 , they loved skiing when we took them to ADH but t wasnt cheap all in about £2000 , the same this year but Blush Blush Blush

A mate has got a appartment in morzine so a group of us old married blokes went for a week of making up for all that time on the green runs with the kids Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

so this year was my first year with two weeks, it may become a annual event and going with my mates was relatively cheap compared to the tribe lol

Hopefully two weeks with the kids , a week with my mates and the BASI course With BASS in morzine ( god thats 4 weeks ) next year. Toofy Grin
latest report
No worries megamum, I don't get that much, we're not all rich with high-flying well-paying jobs and both parents/partners working in good jobs. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Megamum, Sure do, it's the only way to satisfy my craving!
ski holidays
Megamum, Count your blessings. It is not all that long ago that most people started getting a regular annual holiday. Then package holidays abroad took off. Then people started going away in the Winter as well.

If you go skiing I do not think you can feel hard done by.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Livigno '99, 1week
Nevis '01, 2days
Soll '03, 1weekNevis'04 1day............And that's my lot !!.........Go to Tonale fo0 a week this coming Saturday..Now that's a Canardly............I canardly wait !!!
So yes! THINK YOURSELF LUCKY !! one week a year........How very dare you!!!

Cheers.
snow report
Started out just doing weekends in Oz. Then we included a full week trip as well. Next we would add a couple of weeks in Canada or Japan. Next thing you know I'm doing a season in Japan. Change you life to fit in with the snow. I can definately recommend it.
snow report
Megamum wrote:

I can do multiple weeks if I want. But holiday schedule do get in the way a bit and I have to finess it. So, if that's your problem, you can try space them out so your boss doesn't notice it. Little Angel

Most people have other obligation competing for the same pool of funds. Each one of us has to ask oursselve what's the priority. Snowheads are by definition people who has no life except skiing. wink (of course I'm joking) But why else would anyone sit in front of a keyboard keep on typing about skiing instead of going to the movies? So comparing with this lot will be a lost cause.

I'm lucky that I live near snowing weather, so I can do weekend skiing (answer to your "how you all manage it"). But for fly away skiing holidays, I almost always ONLY have one week-long skiing holiday per year. I do manage to get around 20 skiing days a year altogether. The rest of the week-long holiday time and budget are spend mountain biking and canoe camping. Those don't cost nearly as much as skiing (no lift tickets!) but do eat up all my time off work. Had I not live so close to snow (I did live in Florida for a couple years), I would have to make do with the one week skiing... Sad And if I want to ski more, I would have to give up on other hobbies, which on the balance I'd rather not.

I know it's not fair. But life is never fair anyway. One just need to enjoy whatever one has.
latest report
Quote:

we're not all rich with high-flying well-paying jobs and both parents/partners working in good jobs.

crazy_skier_jules, Most of us have to work very hard (including overtime) to get extra trips in.
snow conditions
Megamum, Not sure if it's been done yet but I suspect that if someone ran a poll on how much time folks here actually spent skiing every year you would be in the majority.

I manage to do more than you every year but I didn't start until I was 50. I am probably in a position that others would 'envy' wrt skiing. I can manage my lifestyle now so that the winter is supposedly available, live in France, can do day trips/weekends to ski resorts and have no kids in tow so no school commitments , don't really need 'summer' holidays as I am fortunate enough to live on the Cote d'Azur- yet I still don't do as much as I promise myself despite having become obsessive and realising I will have to pack it in sooner than most of you. Perhaps 4-5 weeks this year in reality - won't stop me promising myself 16-20 next year (again) though!

I didn't start until late in life as I had 'other things' to do and commensurate priorities, I'm sure work was one of them.

Others of course are so dedicated that they will scrimp, save and have focused their leisure time on skiing.

I am grateful for the opportunity that I have, but in my little way I envoy those of you who learned to ski at a younger age and can look forward to dedicating more time to the mountains when the kids have fled the nest! Grass always looks greener doesn't it!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 5-03-07 9:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
All season!! Laughing Laughing

Though it does persist in producing whiteout conditions on all my days off, so exactly how many weeks this equates to I have no idea.
latest report
Megamum, only one week or even just 4 or 5 days for me. Although this year might be an exception. I am looking to return to le Bettex mid April.
snow report
We started skiing four years ago (apart from a brief flirtation many years back) and felt we had some 'catching up ' to do. Decided to skip the whole 'summer holiday' thing this year, I get bored on a beach and the kids aren't that thrilled either. so have managed 3 days in November (opening weekend at Tignes), 1 week at Christmas with just the two of us (again at Tignes), I snuck in a quick 5 days at Pila with a couple of mates , and then we took the kids to Meribel at Half term. Going to Les Arcs at Easter with the kids and would have liked to do the EOSB but had to draw the line. So I guess that's 5 trips / 4 weeks for me this season snowHead

Won't be going again for 11 months or so though, don't know how I'll cope Sad

As Admin said to me at the Lockwoods day, once you discover SnowHeads, 3 weeks skiing just doesn't seem enough Laughing
snow conditions
We never had more than one week a year, and not every year because of working abroad for chunks of time, until I took early retirement. Then we converted a room in our house (vacated by kids at university) into a studio flat/bed sit and took in a delightful lodger whose rent pays the mortgage on the French apartment, and who feeds the cat when we're away. It could be done by almost everybody who is retired on a remotely reasonable pension, if that was their priority and they were not anal about their house. Other retired friends like holidays in the sun, cool cars, new kitchens every five minutes, gardening (and therefore can never be away for more than a few days), etc etc. We are very lucky, in this day and age, to be able to make choices. When our parents and grandparents retired few of them would have had the luxury of choice.

I'm off to the mountains this morning, half term hordes will soon be gone. snowHead
ski holidays
AxsMan, I think I was attempting to quote Hoppo who said something like, "I used to think 1 week's sking per year was a luxury. Then I came to snowHeads and realised that 2 weeks was the minimum. Now a feel a little hard done by that I can ony manage 3".

Megamum, don't worry, you're situation is quite normal... for normal people...
but you're not normal anymore: you're one of us, one of us, o n e o f u s snowHead
latest report
admin, It's no good trying to slide ( Very Happy ) out of it. You started this place and just look what you've done! Increased Global Warming, Days lost to industry through injury, sleep deprivation, domestic tension over Sand V Snow, and that's without the religious fanaticism of the Trays V Planks / Piste V Powder or Fly/Drive. You have a lot to answer for Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
AxsMan, If you think that's bad I discovered snowHeads and then had to buy an appartment in a ski resort snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy