Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clipping in on the lift

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having seen someone else come off a lift already fully bound in, and board off with no hassle the other week, I thought I'd give it a go.

I found that, providing that I got my board properly on the footrest on the lift, I could do this pretty easily and coming off the lift at the other end was an absolute piece of p1ss compared to having to try and skate round all the skiers who had decided to stop and have a conversation right on the exit, find an un-crowded bit, sit down, do my binding up, push myself up, avoid the people who have now placed themselves directly in front of me and eventually get on the slope. I (obviously) had way more control over the board when fully strapped in so could easily avoid the muppets who chose to congregate at the lift exit.

This was all going swimmingly until one of the lift attendants clocked me and started doing his nut in Spanish (I was in Andorra). I didn't hang around to find out if he spoke English for fear of losing my lift pass, but I didn't try it again.

My question is why the problem? I expect it's something along the lines of "if you fall over or get your board stuck when coming off the lift then you're in a world of 5hit", but surely this is the case for skiers too? And if you've only got one foot strapped in and you fall over (which in my opinion is more likely to happen then when fully strapped in) or get the board trapped somehow then you're equally still attached to the board and still flapping around whilst chair lifts tw@t you on the back of the head - saw this happen to one guy and the lift attendant didn't stop the lift until at least 2 chairs had gone over him Mad .

I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light as it didn't seem to be a particularly heinous crime to me. Ta
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ronaldothefrog, I used to ride in 'Switch' clip in bindings and clipping in on the drag or chair was a piece of piddle. I occasionally got yelled at, but most of the time was ignored. When I changed to straps I had to learn to ride with just one foot strapped in, it's not difficult as long as you have a decent stomp pad or spikes.

What I did find a prob if strapped in was that to get your board lined up for the dismount, I needed to get right on the edge of the chair and twisted into my neighbours space.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Flows and nearly always do them up on the lift, I can't see the problem getting off strapped in.

I recently saw boarders getting ON the lifts strapped in, and the lifties said nothing!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get on drags strapped in with both feet since my last trip, makes it a lot easier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I use Flows and nearly always do them up on the lift, I can't see the problem getting off strapped in

Same here, and being a near beginner I feel much happier. I don't see any problem. On an earlier thread someone said you should only have one foot strapped in on a drag lift so you could get out of the way quicker if you fall off, but I find, despite being extremely elderly, that I can move a lot quicker, from a fallen down position, with both legs in, because it's so easy to just sling the board right over your head. The only time I really hurt myself getting off a chairlift was with one foot in, because I fell, one end of the board dug in the snow and gave my knee a severe twist. So, carry on clipping in, I say. You need to get your board fairly flat and straight onto the snow when dismounting however many feet you have strapped in, but I am practising getting off with only one foot strapped in on the easier lifts. I find it difficult to get my back foot strapped in on a full chair; I try to ride alone! I was going up a very steep and difficult drag lift yesterday (on skis!) with a lot of very good boarders, on a difficult slope. I was interested to see that many of them rode with their back foot clipped in. Most of them shot into the lift queue and got onto the lift under good control and without ever unclipping; so much less hassle. I'm still working on that.. so cool!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yesterday I saw someone who jumped over a low rope to the side of the chait lift, ducked under another rope a few feet away, rode through the gate and waited for the chair and then got on the chair, obviously fully strapped in to his bindings. Very cool but the lift guy did not think so Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I find I'm a lot less likely to fall off a drag with both feet clipped in; also I'm sure I could get out the way quicker if I did prely by standing up and riding away!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Very cool but the lift guy did not think so

No, that's just a cheek. The guys on the lift I was on were using the correct path to get on the lift, and not endangering anybody, they were just really good and there was no queue. And they were strapped in. One of them was an ESF instructor. Didn't half fancy himself. I tried not to look impressed... I shall continue to clip in when I can, but practice riding with only one foot in on very gentle slopes. I do think it's an important skill but the top of a chairlift is not the best place to practice it in the first instance. When my son is riding at any speed, with only one foot in down a longish flat section, for example, he sometimes bends down and grabs the back binding with his hand, to steady himself. Anyone find that helpful?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad to see there's a few others who don't see a problem in doing this.

Anyone know why officially a resort/liftie would have a policy against it? Next time I go I might just stop and ask one of them if they give me any hassle.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ronaldothefrog, When I was learning I used to always strap my back foot in when I was on the lift- It was as you say a piece of p!ss to get off that way and a great confidence builder for a beginner who's primary fear was stacking it at the top of the lift! Nowadays im fine getting off with just one foot!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Harder to squiggle out of the way when you fall over, so more likely to have to stop the lift, I'd say. But you need to be able to scoot about on one foot anyway, so the whole chairlift thing is good practice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll add that I don't bother clipping in on chairs as quite often there's a flat bit after the offload ramp to get through so there's no point!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dunno about the chairlift situation but certainly on Pomas its much easier to ride with both feet in, especially if the lift is icy and rutted by skis! I've only ever fallen off a tow when I've had one foot in so getting out of the way isn't an issue
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy