Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CarlT's Les Menuires report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,
Got back last night after spending a week in Les Menuires. Had a fantastic time !

Took advice on here, and left home at 9.30am on the Friday, used the Tunnel for the 1st time. What a fantastic hassle free mode of transport that is. Couldn't believe at the other end that you drive off the train straight onto the Autoroute and away.

Kept a fairly good pace down through France (the pouring rain didnt help), stopping every couple of hours, combining toilet breaks with coffee and fuel stops. Arrived at our stopover hotel in Lyon at exctly 10pm (french time).
www.hotel-lyon-est.com This hotel is very convenient for the main route down and served a purpose as somewhere to eat and get a bit of sleep. We booked through www.activehotels.com. Next day, we left the hotel at 6.15am for the remaining hop to Les Menuires. The traffic was light all the way (pouring with rain till we got to Moutiers though), and we arrived at our hotel in Les Menuires just after 9.00am. We did stop for breakfast on route.

As we arrived in resort, the snow started and didnt stop for close on 3 days. We skiied a bit on the Saturday, but our 1st day proper on Sunday, saw us skiing in knee deep powder ON Piste Cool.

This was our 4th visit to Les 3V, but 1st time we had stayed in Les Menuires. It is not very attractive, but substantially cheaper for everything when compared to Meribel or Courchevel.

We were a bit restricted by the weather, as the snowfalls and the wind meant the upper lifts were closed, preventing us getting out of the valley until Tuesday. It was not all bad news though, the powder was awesome and gave me chance to use the Missions for what they were intended. Very Happy

Tuesday, the sun came out and we took the opportunity to ski over to Mottaret for lunch and then into Courchevel after that. We were enjoying a cracking run down the Creux piste towards Courchevel, when my wife fell quite heavily (losing skis etc). She was shook up and hurt her knee. She managed to get back to Les Menuires and woke up on Wednesday in pain, a trip to the medical centre revealed torn knee ligaments Shocked A leg brace and physio for the rest of the week for her !

The rest of the week, passed incident free and we enjoyed some great skiing in all 3 Valleys. The snow on piste was heavy on the lower pistes, but up higher it was still fantastic. The wind and heavy snow did hamper us a bit, but all in all a fantastic week of skiing.

The hotel we stayed in http://www.hotel-ours-blanc.com/, is absolutely fantastic. It is privately owned by a French / English couple. It is brilliantly situated, being ski in / ski out. All staff are friendly and welcoming, the atmosphere is brilliant - you are made to feel like a member of family. The hotel has a hot-tub (bit small), steam room, sunbeds and sauna. A ski room (very warm) with indivdual lockers for each hotel room. The bar is welcoming with a piano playing and reasonably priced. The food was great - 5 courses for dinner and a well-stocked buffet breakfast.
The bedroom was large and had a TV, ensuite with shower and bath. It was clean and very well looked after. I would highly recommend this hotel and I am fairly sure we will go back there next year.

The journey back involved us doing the Les Menuires to home run in 1 hit. Me driving all the way (wife in leg brace). We left the hotel at 7.45am and arrived home at 8.00pm, this despite frequent fuel / toilet breaks. We will definitely be driving again next year - beats airports and airlines everytime.

In summary, a brilliant week - great ski conditions, fantastic hotel, Cool the only downside - the injury to the wife Sad [/url]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a shame about the injury. My sister in law did the same thing last week, and on going to her local hospital on return got the usual completely conflicting advice as to what to do next. The first person she saw completely disagreed with the French treatment (big leg brace, immolise) and recommended getting it moving right away. The next went back to the knee brace/immobilise prescription. Whichever you follow, make sure your wife does plenty of the recommended physio exercises afterwards. Great report, sounds an excellent hotel you found. Your run home was impressive! Eurotunnel is great.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CarlT, Great report! Sorry to hear about your wifes injury - happened to me last year Sad . Hope she recovers quickly & she mustnt let it put her off! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CarlT, great post. Commiserations to Mrs CarlT. The hotel looks lovely and in an excellent position.
As you say: Les Menuires is not the prettiest of places to stay, but who cares when you've got a cozy hotel and the snow is good.
Best wishes for your wife's knee.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy