Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who uses their straps?

Poster: A snowHead
Leki is the a good system. i have only had problems with it when I plant a pole into hard snow and then occasionally rather than pull the pole out it pulls the clip out.

I would think that they would certainly unclick in and avalanche also which is nice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I also fail to see how you can exeute an effective pole plant in the steeps, bumps, variable terrain etc. without the straps.

I agree. Those that don't agree/see the piont haven't learnt how the strap can help improve the pole plant.

Skiday
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
Scarpa, That makes a whole lot more sense w.r.t. a reason for doing it than many of the other reasons - I can certainly visualise how and why that would work. I like something as an explanation that I can understand - you should be an instructor!!

I was a sports coach once hehehe.... although it was in fencing. I suppose I could advise on the best use of ski poles to progress though a lift queue Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiday, After my sore thumb accident in a steep mogul field I have taken to just placing four fingers through the strap in the bumps so that my thumb is free and the base of my little finger takes the strain. Although doing so much climbing my grip is fairly secure on the pole.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like to strap my poles on for the duration of skiing time. I find that it is much easier concentrating on skiing rather than holding on to poles. The same with lifts even on drag lifts i keep them on. Just so they dont fall off.

Never had an injuries to my thumb.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stopped using straps last year. Haven't noticed any difference except it's easier getting on the lifts and less faffing when you get off. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last season I fell unbinding both skis and loosing both polls (which were strapped up in the correct way). During the fall i broke and ripped the ligament in my left thumb. By the sounds of things the strap came off my wrist but caught my thumb and bent it back, causing it to break and rip. After the annoyance of the operations and physio I certainly won't be using the straps again, but i'm yet to see how it might cause difficulty in planting correctly. I can understand the odd kickback causing the poll to be dropped but not hindering effective poll plants.

However, i don't understand why the manufacturers don't offer a quick release mechanism on the strap - has anyone come a across a poll that offers this?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick-o,
Quote:

However, i don't understand why the manufacturers don't offer a quick release mechanism on the strap - has anyone come a across a poll that offers this?
Yes, see above, Leki.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, but from your previous posts, it appears you have not yet skied many days. I was very interested in how many thumb injuries there have been amongst long-term skiers, and even though I had previously relied on the straps a bit, to add some strength to my rather weak hands (arthritis) I gave up using the straps for much of the time, last season, after reading this very interesting thread. I did use them when practising very short turns down very steep pistes, when I wanted to put a lot of weight on them - but I actually spend very little of my time doing very short turns down very steep pistes! The rest of the time, it's quite liberating not to bother with them. In fact, lots of beginner/intermediate skiers would do well to abandon poles altogether for part of each day. I have two nephews, both of whom spent a good few years on snowblades, who are fast and carefree skiers who seem to go everywhere, without bothering with poles at all. Yes, there are certain advanced moves which can be done better with poles, by skiers who know how to use them properly. For most of us, much of the time, they don't contribute much, except, it seems the real risk of a serious thumb injury.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
True. Only 2 weeks, is hardly experience.

with my instructor we did an excercise involving skiing without poles. I felt very off balanced, I use them all the time for leaning and general balance.so i wont be getting rid of them anytime soon.

I'll admit i had a shoulder pain due to my poles though. I had a fast crash and the pole stuck in the snow and yank my shoulder out of place.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

with my instructor we did an excercise involving skiing without poles.
maybe you should keep trying - you did say he was a very good instructor! You're young - a fall which yanked your shoulder out of place would have been more debilitating to a more elderly skier (like me!!). I was very convinced by the number of experienced posters above who spoke of guides advising them to ski without straps (not without poles, but it is a good exercise to make sure you are not using them as psychological crutches).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos wrote:
AxsMan, I've a friend who's just missed a couple of weeks skiing due to breaking his thumb in a stationary fall. Talking to him he thinks had he been strapless no busted thumb, though this is the same friend that broke a rib and wrist whilst skiing an empty green run in good conditions with no other skiers involved.

Hmm, the same friend I reffered to back in March has just managed to break both legs and a wrist 2 weeks into his first full season away. Probably was strapless bit given this wipe out I think it's in material.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've only hurt my thumb once skiing on a dry slope without straps. The thumb wasn't caught on the matting it was the force of my hand with the pole in it hitting the slope. Anyway, on snow I always use straps and have never found them to get in the way when falling.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, He's definitely worth avoiding Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm...very interesting thread. I'm very suprised at the number of people that ski without the use of straps.

They really are crucial as mentioned by a few people in achieving a good plant. They are like wiskers to me and without the added grip and feel that holding the strap gives I personally dont like it. I can ski without them fine, but I like the feel ! I use Goode poles and Leki.

In terms of falling. How can I say this. You are not falling correctly ! Sounds odd but may mean something to some people. My straps would also release in an avalanche for sure ! I loose so many of the bloody things as they keep detaching so I think that solves that issue Very Happy

Each to their own though. But i'd be suprised of many ski teachers would advocate not using them for advcanced skiing.

When it comes to beginner or lower intermediate that as pam w says there is some logic in not using straps. I can see that for sure.

Alex
snow report
Not wishing to enter the "to strap or not to strap" debate but apropos of skiday's comments on the "Two things" thread am I right in thinking that straps are "handed" - i.e. depending on how the two ends "overlay" on their way into the handle one is left and one is right, but I can never remember which is which Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Scarpa, I am with you on this one. I have very fragile thumbs having dislocated and broken both thumbs several times (not skiing) and find having the straps on is easier on my thumbs as i get additional support from the straps.
ski holidays
Since I ski mostly off piste I almost never use the straps. You can't keep thinking about taking them on and off depending on avalanche danger on different slopes or trees/not trees. (incidentally, if you ski mostly off piste you have to go on the assumption that one day you will be in an avalanche - and it may be with a guide and on a slope that nobody thought could go).
The only times I put the straps on are occasional very long traverse on steep slopes and firm snow where dropping a pole could lose it down a long slope - or occasionally when a very long push along the flat is in prospect.
Pam w - surely you shouldn't be leaning on the pole so much: especially on steep slopes when pole planting is the most useful, you will end up rotating your body around it and facing your body up the hill at the end of the turn.
snow report
Quote:

What about bringing back the old bayonet system from the 1980s? That was effective, simple, cheap, and didn't break.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy