Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who uses their straps?

Poster: A snowHead
Years ago I hurt my thumb using my straps and ever since, on the advice of an eminent Swiss mountain guide, I have never used them again and never had a problem except very occasionally when poling I have left one behind. I do not feel they make any difference to my pole plant so why do manufacturers always include them. Heliskiers never use them nor do dry ski slopes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only time is falling, saves climbing up/down to find them, even harder in powder...one of things you get use to as well, if I don't have them on I feel different, not right, bit like driving without a seatbelt (don't do it kids!).

God I'm bored! (20 days to last trip of the season...)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skilegs wrote:
.......... Heliskiers never use them nor do dry ski slopes.

I wouldn't expect heliskiers to use them. In the event of being caught in an avalanche, it would be trick to discard the poles quickly. I haven't noticed the straps not being used on dry-slopes - but on most dry slopes, if you fall, you are not going to go far from your poles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alway enter the straps from underneath
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
does any one actually use their poles wink let alone the straps
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, yup. Still wouldn't ski off-piste with them on. I knew a bloke who survived an avalanche kicking off his skis, getting rid of his poles- and doing the "swimming" thing. Wound up with his head above the surface. Can't know what would have happened had he retained his poles - but I reckon every little helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a right way and a wrong way to use straps. The wrong way will injure your thumbs, especially on dry slopes, as the strap and pole ram into the crutch of your thumb and forefinger when you fall. Pictures speak a thousand words so here you go:

First, the wrong way to hold them

And this is why it hurts when you lean or fall and release your grasp on the pole. The pole strap pulls the joint at the base of the thumb apart and can damage ligaments or bust yer thumb

Now this is the safe way to hold them

So that the strap is between the hand and the pole

Now, when you fall and the pole pulls out of your hand, it can be released safely from your grasp, and yet still remains around your wrist so you don't lose it

There you go - happy thumbs!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petemillis, I was taught the above demonstrated 'correct' way by my first skiing instructor - never had a problem and it feels very odd to use them any other way now Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skilegs, Agree with you on this one, don't tend to use them at all.

IMT
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
petemillis wrote:
.........Now, when you fall and the pole pulls out of your hand, it can be released safely from your grasp, and yet still remains around your wrist so you don't lose it

Exactly. But if I am ever so unlucky as to be in an avalanche, I want to loose it. Fast. So I was taught, very early on, off-piste- no straps. Makes sense to me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually, I think skilegs is a very experienced skier. I'd be interested in the skilegs take on this - now that the question's been posed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The straps are useful for hanging the poles.

Actually, I always use them in the "approved" way. Interesting comments here though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use the straps, unless I am skiing in trees in case they get caught up.

I used to have a pair of Scott poles with a sword grip, they were pretty good, all of the support of a strap without the hastle. Now use Leki click system, so the strap stays attached to your glove.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, How I love compliments even if they are outrageous flattery!! I think it is FAR safer to ski without straps. I would rather lose a pole than a thumb. My son damaged both thumbs very badly a couple of weeks ago and even though he is a very experienced skier, he just won't take Mum's advice, even now!! Apart from hanging them on your skis as laundryman says I simply cannot justify the use of straps. If you are ever unlucky enough to be in an avalanche I very much doubt in the heat of the moment you would remember to take off your straps plus avalanches do happen on piste. IMHO there is absolutely no need to use them unlike the seatbelt. Martin Epp, the Swiss guide, always said the first thing you do when you buy new poles is cut off the straps. If you are advised not to use straps off piste, then why use them on piste??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
I knew a bloke who survived an avalanche kicking off his skis, getting rid of his poles- and doing the "swimming" thing.

I see that Dale Atkins is against the swimmig thing.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0682-not-swimming-but-drowning/

I have a ski partner who had straps on when caught in an avalanche and he said you wouldn't believe the force that a slide can put on your arms. He escaped with ligament damage but when you see saplings felled by small avalanches you realise a pole could break your wrist. Okay my poles have quick release straps but I still don't ski with straps - even when traversing marked ski runs.
snow report
I was using straps in the approved manner when I took a fall on steep moguls, the pole jammed into the back of a mogul and upon falling on it my thumb was wrenched back. Now, as well as when off piste I only have half a hand through the straps on moguls.
snow conditions
I saw these two girls on Latexnurse.com using "Straps" they seemed to be having a great time. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Now use Leki click system, so the strap stays attached to your glove.

This is an enlightening thread. I do use them, in the approved manner. I have weak (arthritic) hands and I find holding poles a bit of a pain - I use very soft gloves to reduce the stress. The lack of poles is an attraction of using both blades and snowboard, actually. I tend to do my straps up fairly tight so that I can practice using them for support to some extent, in the kind of turns where you lean down the slope and plant the pole firmly. However, having them tight just increases the risks of the problems described above, and I feel tempted not to use them (but I wouldn't chop them off, I'd use them for hanging up, and I also use them to and tow my snowboarding son along flat paths, on occasions - I just let go of the handle and have the strap round the wrist).

I like the sound of that Leki click system. But would that help, at all, in the event of a fall that badly wrenched thumbs (which is the pain danger for me as I don't do much off piste)?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, more to your taste than whips and chains? rolling eyes
ski holidays
petemillis, Not convinced at all by that method - I have had one thumb tweaked using it. Anything which holds the pole to your hand can lead to "skiers thumb". I think what actually happens is the strap holds your hand in a position where the outwards rotation of the lower end of the pole pivots the upper end medially, forcibly deviating the thumb at the 1st Metacarpo-phalangeal joint leading to collateral ligament tearing. I think your instructor was wrong when he implied it was the strap that delivered the force. But I ain't an orthopod

I take my straps off in trees and when going off-piste. (pole straps Mr SZK - the others I wear all the time...)

see here for more info on the injury
latest report
pam w, I have this kind of pole to sell, not sold any. However we probably get one client a week asking for spares!
snow report
Scarpa, IMHO half a hand is too much.
latest report
halfhand may not agree.
snow report
I have never used the straps since I hurt my thumb. stoatsbrother, my osteopath/sports medicine physio said it happened regardless of how you held your pole. The guy is my father-in-law by the way. The thumb was painful anyway.
snow report
Quote:

it happened regardless of how you held your pole.

did he mean that however you used the straps, there was still a problem, but that it would be OK without them? I am getting more convinced every minute here. My thumbs are sore enough without having the meso-phalanx counter-rotated about the ibio tribal whatsit.
ski holidays
pam w, I think the crucial thing is that in a fall, if you are using straps almost any way the poles are held in a place where they can damage your thumb. But I suspect you can get hurt whatever unless you let go of the poles. Of course in trees they can also yank your arm if the pole gets caught.
latest report
skilegs wrote:
Scarpa, IMHO half a hand is too much.

You obviously haven't seen fisting lessons dot com then Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, more to your taste than whips and chains? rolling eyes

Sticks and stones may break his bones... but whips and chains excite him Shocked
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I saw these two girls on Latexnurse.com using "Straps" they seemed to be having a great time. Toofy Grin

What angulation did they use whilst having their strap on Puzzled
snow report
Scarpa, wink
latest report
davidof wrote:
.....I see that Dale Atkins is against the swimming thing.............

What can I say? I didn't see the incident - but I was with someone (apart from the victim) who did. The tale of the victim was convincing. I heard the tale in the mid 90s. I guess he knew nothing but to have a go for it and "swim". Fortunately, in his individual case, it worked for him. I very sincerely hope I never have to try out the theory.
latest report
Looks like poles might become a thing of the past

http://youtube.com/v/CHzY8yAES9s
snow conditions
Japow, hmm. Didn't wade through all of that -but I got the gist. Quite apart from possible use in turns, poles are incredibly useful on flattish ground - and if you fall in deep powder (use them in a cross shape to push against the slope when standing). I shan't be in a hurry to bin mine.
ski holidays
Also the occasional drag of a wayward snowboarder on a flat.
ski holidays
Japow,
Quote:
Also the occasional drag of a wayward snowboarder on a flat
Let them walk!
snow report
Plus they give you something to aim with when sighting up on a line of ski-school kids Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Heliskiers never use them

Oh. Someone clearly forgot to tell my colleagues and I. rolling eyes

I also fail to see how you can exeute an effective pole plant in the steeps, bumps, variable terrain etc. without the straps.

Granted if you're just flailing the poles around on the groomers then the straps are of no consequence.
latest report
pam w wrote:

I like the sound of that Leki click system. But would that help, at all, in the event of a fall that badly wrenched thumbs (which is the pain danger for me as I don't do much off piste)?

I have the leki click system for skiing on piste. the 'clicker' which goes into the pole is attached by elastic and a press-stud popper thing. Also in the case of a bad fall ( Embarassed ) then the turning force of the pole tends to pull the pole from the glove without hurting the thumb.

If skiing off piste etc. then i just don't bother to 'click in'
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
..........I also fail to see how you can exeute an effective pole plant in the steeps, bumps, variable terrain etc. without the straps.................

Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy