Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route planning/Feasability

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off for a long weekend skiing in March and wonder whether the following is managable:

Arrive Geneva 11am, drive to nearby resort, ski until c1730, then drive to 3V, settle into appt, ski for the following 2 days and then drive back crack sparrow f*rt to catch morning flight from Geneva.

If anyone has any suggestions for routes or stop off ski venue that is on the way to the 3V.

Or more likely that this is just wishful thinking and I should either drive straight to 3V or pick a resort close to Geneva.

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
martyngb, You'd get more skiing (3-4 hours) over the weekend in total if you pick a closer resort (e.g. Chatel, Chamonix)....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It will be a very early start from 3Vs if your flight from GVA is say 8am monday!

I agree with ski, why dont you pick one or more of the resorts up the auto route blanche (A40?), plenty of them to choose from and many close together so could ski a different one each day if you wanted....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think you are suggesting you will drive back from 3v in the morning for the flight. That sounds pretty stressful. Having done Les Arcs for the weekend wouldnt it work better to ski till the lifts close; have something to eat; then drive to a cheap hotel near GVA airport (I did formula 1 at Ferney Voltaire). Dead easy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree too. You could base yourself in, say, Sallanches or Cluses, only an hour's drive or less from Geneva airport, all motorway, and ski the Chamonix Valley, Flaine, Combloux and Megeve. More than enough for the long weekend, lots less driving, more sleep. You're more likely to find weekend accomm in an "ordinary" place like Sallanches, too. What kind of skiing/resort do you like?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking to find somewhere with good snow and relatively easy to find your way around. Went to Flaine last year which was good but the snow reports and forecast on scgb are not good. Chamonix is an option but slightly put off by the idea of unfamilar terrain, which is reputely quite difficult in such a short period.

Really looking to maximise time skiing, without being too scared Shocked

Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Went to Flaine last year which was good but the snow reports and forecast on scgb are not good

Chamonix and surroundings have had great snow recently - just about everyone has - but depending on when your planned weekend is, everything could look very different.

There are several good and different areas in Chamonix - and lots of local advice available here. I've only done Flegere/Brevent, Le Tour and Les Houches, and only once to all three, don't know them well, so can't advise. Like you I'm scared of the tougher bits of Chamonix, but there's plenty that's OK, given that you have a car.

St Gervais/Megeve, and Les Contamines are also an easy drive. I know LC well. Very good snow record, compact and accessible area, the only "scarey" bit is a long high black, easily avoided - indeed, rather difficult to get to, you couldn't find yourself on it by accident!

I wouldn't have thought the snow prospects were significantly better in the 3V, except for the very highest areas, than other places including Flaine. If you want to do the 3V I would definitely do what jayne durham suggests and be back in a cheap billet near Geneva airport the night before you leave.

Have you made enquiries about an apartment for a long weekend in the 3V - recent reports on Snowheads have underlined the difficulties of weekend bookings in French resorts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martyngb,
I've just got back from doing something similar stayed in Sallanches (IBIS) and skied Megeve and Comboloux. Sallanches is not the best but the steak house by IBIS was OK! I'd recomend eating in resort.

We landed at GVA 09:40 and started skiing in Comboloux just after 12.
Big Tip if you are limited on time. Send the driver of your party through as soon as you land to book the car and pick up their luggage for them. The queue at ALAMO was ridiculous not that we cared as we arrived 2nd in line!!!
Have a good one
BS
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the input, weekend project is sourcing accommodation, it's not been a problem over the past 3 years but you never know!

snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't do it myself going from a resort near Cervinia to 3V because in winter the Petiti St Bernard is closed and you can only come through Chamonix tunnel to drive to Albertwille or do a big loop via Turin the Tunnel du Frejus to the front entrance to the Tarentaise "Albertville". The road between Val D'sere to Frejus Tunnel is also close in WInter.

The local road N212 from Chamonix to 3V must pass Abertville and that is not a enjoyable drive, regardless what kind of vehicle you have, especially after Abertville you still have another 1.5h motorways and country roads to 3V, assuming you stay at lowest point of 1600. It is a punishment 4 hours trip because you will be driving in the dark, need a meal and a stop while actually you should be resting for the next day's skiing.

Sallaches is a good choice for Chamonix, Grand Massif (Flaine/Morillon/Sameon), Domaine Evasion (Les Contamines/Megeve/St Gervais/Rochebrune) with the Italian Courmayeour in 3/4 to an hour drive. The French side of Porte du Soleil is also close by via Les Gets/Morzine/Avioraz.

The other alternative should be to drive the fast motorway via Lausanne to stay in Monthley or Martigny, which I would probably go in a few weeks time myself. At that location you can strike the Swiss side of Porte du Soleil, Verbier and Cran Montana with Cervinia still reachable by the Grand St Bernard Pass. You can still come to the Chamonix side via Col de Forclay (about 1.15 hour say from Martigny to Grand Montet) which is open throughout the winter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy