Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Possibly different skis next time - would I notice the difference?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, so this year I'm pretty sure I got the given the same skis as last year - Volkl Vertigo G3's 154cm - as far as I go I was able to ski happily on these. However, folks on here have said that skis can wear out and I bet hire ones sooner than most, so there is more than a chance that the same skis won't be available forever. Also, if I were to go to a dry slope or snow dome in the UK I'd almost certainly be offered something different. As I beginner would I notice an appreciable difference in a different ski, or would the shop automatically give me something with similar characteristics given my level of experience?

The thing is I don't know what characteristics these particular skis possessed that let me ski OK on them, or indeed what characteristics a different ski handed to me by a shop would need to have to feel similar. Can someone explain the characteristics of the Vertigos and suggest similar current skis which I might also like - then maybe I'd have something to base a conversation on if I got offered something different. I hope someone can understand where I'm coming from - I was happy on the Vertigo's, but don't know if I'd be as happy on different skis, or maybe even happier.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-02-07 23:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum,

Megamum - interesting thread.

In the past I have had Salomon X-Scream (twice) don't know which ones but I loved them. I've never been happy with any Rossignol's. Last trip I swapped Rossis for Salomon X-Wing, again don't know which ones, but I felt much more confident on them.

Can anyone explain what it might be about the Salomons that suit me Puzzled I know it's a fairly impossible question, all I can really explain is that I can turn quite well with Salomons and can't with Rossi - I don't feel I can get enough grip if it's a bit icy rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't get hung up on the spec of your skis. When hiring, go to a reputable shop, be honest about your ability and just make sure the skis they give you are well maintained (sharp edges, good bases). Length is the most important parameter, so start by asking for something close to 154 cm if you were happy with this length last time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, No chance of answering that without knowing exactly which Rossis you tried. I used to like X-Screams too (easy going all-rounder) but they're pretty dated now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster,

The Salomons I had this year were X-Wing Blast, the Rossis were Zenith Z3.

I think length played its part, Salomons have always been shorter. I'm 5' 4" and never have anything over 150cm

still grateful for any advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum,

sorry Megamum, - don't mean to take over your thread Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
Megamum,

Can anyone explain what it might be about the Salomons that suit me Puzzled I know it's a fairly impossible question, all I can really explain is that I can turn quite well with Salomons and can't with Rossi - I don't feel I can get enough grip if it's a bit icy rolling eyes

I love my Rossi's but had the same problem with edge grip. So I changed to edge angle to 88 degrees. WOW... what a difference that made on hard pack and ice. Sharp edges are a must though, whatever ski you use.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK so length is important (we all know that wink )How will I know when I'm ready to try something longer and then how much longer will the next level be. I just know I'm walking into somewhat predictable comments here, its the skiing related issue that I'm interested in though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
OK so length is important (we all know that wink )How will I know when I'm ready to try something longer and then how much longer will the next level be. I just know I'm walking into somewhat predictable comments here, its the skiing related issue that I'm interested in though.

Maybe when you feel that you want a more stable ski as the ones you use wobble when you go too fast? I'd try one about 6-8cm longer towards the end of the week and see how you get on with it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa,

I always feel the skis wobble when they are too long - or do I mean flap - what's the difference. The Rossis I had this year were about 154 and I changed to 147 and had no wobble at all (or flap).

I'm sooo confused Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, I'm no expert, but generally I think that longer skis are more stable at high speeds. A lot depends on other factors though. Maybe the 154's were too long for you to keep full control of them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:

I always feel the skis wobble when they are too long - or do I mean flap - what's the difference.

"Wobble", in terms of they feel unsteady in a straight line when you're going fast. Longer skis allow you to go faster in a straight line without getting the juddering wobbly feeling in the front (or so goes the theory, I believe). What you may have experienced is a long ski feeling like it's wobbling about when you're turning. That (I think) is more to do with how aggressively you ski, how hard you dig into the turn etc. That's why I'd be in favour of shorter skis until you exceed what they can do (ie, until you go faster than they will go without juddering). I guess lots of us have yet to find those kinds of levels on most skis!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
I was happy on the Vertigo's, but don't know if I'd be as happy on different skis, or maybe even happier.

I'd say, if you're happy on them, stick with them until you feel that you are going faster than the skis can manage, and that they are hindering you. Whilst a Formula 1 car is clearly faster than, say, a Golf, most of us would get round a race track faster in the Golf (on account of being unable to handle an F1 car which is tuned for speed and acceleration) - we'd just crash it. The analogy is not exactly the same, but it's similar with skis (so far as I can make out).

This year (my 5th week skiing) was the first time I went for nice skis (you can see my review in the Equipment forum - Rossi Zenith Z9 Oversize). I noticed a big difference, and loved them; but:

1. I'm a bit of a charger on red pistes - if I wasn't going so fast (probably faster than most skiers on the run) I wouldn't have noticed any difference in them. When I settled into a more sedate, meander down the slopes to suit the mates I was skiing with, frankly, I couldn't tell a great deal of difference (that might be my inexperience, but it is what I noticed for me).

2. At slower speeds a better quality ski might even be a hindrance. I'm told (and having skied the Rossi's I'm beginning to have a practical feel for why) that skis for intermediate skiers are deliberately more "forgiving", than those for more advanced skiers (I'm not saying I'm in that bracket; just that I put the skis through quite a bit of work...). I can sort of see why, because a more advanced ski is set up to take bigger forces - ie me going faster down a slope with more aggressive turns. As a result, it can take a bit of work at slower speeds.

Hope that makes some sense. I'm just getting a feel for this stuff myself, and I'm sure some of the more experienced folks on here will put me right where I've not quite got it straight, but sometimes it can be good to get the impressions of someone who's still struggling with some of the same terminology that you are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, It's a really difficult question to answer. I've been through (am going through) the same stage, my own 'choice ' of skis both hiring and then buying was all over the place and my biggest problems came when I started to feel that I could parrallel turn (i.e not necessarily when I was doing it properly!).

I was constantly asking myself the same questions and without any personal reference points in terms of the skis capability/serviceability etc struggled to understand the solution. The first thing that I noticed ( I always asked for beginners' skis in my first 1-5 weeks-ish) was that they started to become noticeably 'flappy' ... I didn't feel secure .. particularly when 'turning' with lots of pressure (more of a hockey stop than anything resembling skiing), I had some bad experiences with skis hired for the odd day up to that point - whether it was real or imagined I'll never know!

I then bought my own skis ( I wish now I had bought my own 'beginner' skis and sold them on) and since then I have always felt more comfortable with something I know I am familiar with and instead of trying to work out if the skis were 'good' or not I've been able to focus more on the real issue i.e. my own incompetence. I'm a gearfreak and love buying gadgets and stuff and that is now extended to ski equipment though.

My point being that if you (like me) are worried (albeit possibly unnecessarily) about the 'quality' of the skis you hire, then buy some. Problem removed. I probably own skis that are 'too good' for me but frankly I'm not in a position to know otherwise so I just get on with it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy