Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ding in edge - less than 1cm - worth repairing?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the V12s that I bought cheap and I see they have a ding in the edge under the rear binding. The edge is pushed slightly up and inwards (like it's been hit sideways on a rock). There is a very small (fraction of mm) gap between edge and base.

The skis were described as "good condition" although I think "fair condition" would have been a better description now they're here (edges need filing to remove rust, bases need waxing although in good condition except for a couple of minor gouges, and the "some small markings on the graphics" in the description should have read "some proper top sheet damage", and "well gashed up bindings"!). Other than that, I would say they are in good condition (i.e. still stiff, no sign that they've snapped in half or anything)

Now, they cost me £150 which is cheap. But I wonder if this ding can easily and cheaply be repaired. I'm not too fussed about the "war wounds" on the tops but it would be nice if the edges at least were in good order. I'm thinking about effecting a repair by squeezing some epoxy into the tiny gap (to seal it from water ingress) and "massaging" the edge back where it should be as much as possible and then filing it to reset the base and edge angles (or at least getting it blended in to the rest of the edge as much as possible).

Spyderjon, I noticed in an old post that you had PM'd someone a lonk to the Salomon techy bit for edge repairs. Any chance I can have a look too?

Any advice much appreciated. Also any ideas on whether I should slag off the ebay seller with some bad feedback or email him to ask for a few pennies back (tempting - if I get £50 back then I'd be well happy)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis wrote:
. Also any ideas on whether I should slag off the ebay seller with some bad feedback or email him to ask for a few pennies back (tempting - if I get £50 back then I'd be well happy)

worth having a go emailing the seller privately before leaving negative feedback - he'll only get p*ssed off and slag back if you go straight in.

Does the seller have disclaimer e.g. whether the buyer should ask for more info on damage before bidding
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've of said that was a pair of skis one of which has a damaged edge, not skis in "good" or "fair" condition. If it was me I'd be expecting a refund.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-02-07 17:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd expect a refund, too. I think this pair of skis may be a write-off - be interested to see what spyderjon has to say.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, holidayloverxx, the complete description is
Quote:
Salomon Crossmax V12 Pilot Skiercross Ski + Salomon S912 Pilot Ski Bindings

Developed to cope with the stresses and strains of competitive Skiercross racing, Salomon’s Crossmax V12 can effortlessly handle the variations in the terrain and skiing styles that it is subjected to. Salomon’s Spaceframe technology is combined with the Pilot Edge system to ensure total performance on or off the piste, while the Monocoque Titanium construction provides plenty of power for high performance skiing. Salomon’s Crossmax V12 loves fast carving and aggressive skiing, responding smoothly and accurately to any precise changes of direction. This makes the Crossmax V12 ski ideally suited to the confident skier who worships at the altar of speed.

The skis have only been used for one season they are in good condition yet have some small markings on the graphics. they cost me £750 new and they are 170cm in length

no mention of edge damage, no pictures showing additional damage. The bloke I bought them from is a ski instructor who used the skis for one season. I would have thought that he would know the meaning of the description "good condition" with relation to skis. I'm a bit pissed off at the moment and trying to decide what best to do before I email him.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
petemillis, any chance you could post a photo of the edge damage here?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petemillis,

Some ebay sellers have a sort of Terms and Conditions disclaimer separate from the item description.

e.g. "Seller's return policy: Return Policy Details: i only offer returns where the buyer feels that i have not presented the item accurately. Thanks "

you need to look further down the page to find this stuff.

I think the item has been misrepresented and you should press for a refund.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, I've checked what you suggested, and there is no additional info in the seller's return policy details. This is all there is
Quote:
Postage, payment details, and return policy
Dispatches to
United Kingdom

The refund route is becoming more appealing. I'd be tempted to keep the skis and get the edge into shape if he'd refund a decent amount of money - maybe half of what I've paid for them - as they'll by ok for me or someone else to wee wee about on. But for £150 I think they should at least be as described - i.e. good condition.

I've taken a couple of pics of the edge damage which I will post up later.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, here's a pic. The ding is at the 170cm marker on the ruler. There's another pic in the gallery as well, but I think it somehow makes the ding look worse than it is. http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/6142/ppuser/769

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 28-02-07 19:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
petemillis, you never know the seller may be on SH, and come forward offering a refund Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petemillis,

Is there a chunk of metal missing from the edge? (it looks like that to me on the second pic @ 95mm on that cheap Jef Wickes ruler Wink )
Has the metal edge come away from the base of the ski and is it bent?

If so it's a damaged ski and I'm not sure any repair would be permanent, maybe spyderjon could confirm.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 28-02-07 20:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
petemillis, You can try & tap the edge back but you can end up doing more harm than good. The 'up & in' damage that you have is waaay preferable to 'down & out' damage. If they were mine I'd just fill the gap with Araldite 2011 (waterproof & flexible) & ski 'em. You can file/stone that area of edge down to run true with the rest of the edge if necessary.

BTW, I see you buy cheap rulers as well wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
petemillis, Cotact the seller through ebay, he might do the decent thing and give you a few quid back. If you paid by Paypall they will take up a claim against him for you, if you are still unhappy.
If he really is an instructor, he sure did'nt pay £750 for them and having used them for a season, he's had his money out of them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would contact the seller and see if he will agree to refund some or all of the cash.

If you don't have any luck with the seller you can report the item as significantly not as described through Ebay or Paypal. If you paid by Paypal use the Paypal dispute option if you paid by any other method you have to use the Ebay one.

I got my cash back through Paypal after buying a jacket which was supposed to be new & tagged but when it arrived it obviously wasn't new! Nice jacket but had a couple of marks on it and a very slight cut from a board or ski edge.If seller had been honest about the condition of jacket I probably would've still bid on it I just wouldn't have paid the price that i did for a used jacket.

The seller had also put tags in with the package and said the tags had fallen off when it was tried on!! Tags were from a different jacket by the same brand which didn't match the size,waterproof rating, specs,or model name of the jacket I bought.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone.
DB, I'll check closer after brekkie - I didn't notice a chunk missing at the time so it may just look like it in the pic.
spyderjon, thanks for that. I suppose I could always use the skis so the damage is on an outside edge where it gets slightly less use. If I'd know about the damage before, then I wouln't have paid much more than half of what I paid for them. 'tis a bug really. The top sheet damage is also more extensive than implied, but that doesn't really bother me.

DB, spyderjon, that ruler is a quality engineering tool that measures accurately to within a few inches. Being aluminium it probably alters its measurement at different temperatures as well. It's really good.

Spyderman, chaotic, I couldn't work out how they would have cost him £750 either, unless he paid top whack for them and isn't a proper instructor. I paid through PayPal so will ask for their help if I don't get things sorted out with him. What I've done is sent him an email saying I disaappointed with the condition considering they were described as good with just small top sheet markings, and asked if he will either refund half of what I paid for them (i.e. £75) or accept them back for full refund including the postage I paid. Soon as I hear back I'l let you al know what happens.

Thanks again all.

ps - anyone wanna buy a pair of Crossmax V12s?
snow report
From what I understand you don't really need the skis, the seller has given an incorrect description. Just speak to ebay and get them sent back. If he had explained the damage properly he'd of been lucky to get 50 quid for them.

In my limited experience once an edge is bent the ski is never the same again and any repair is a make do. The risk of it breaking again is also fairly high.
snow conditions
petemillis, Probably does not help but these are going new on Ski Bilek for about £200 "Salomon Crossmax V 12 V12 +Bind. Z12 Ti,Mod.2007 "auction that finished last night at £206 at that sort of price should be worth trying to get money back and buying new.
latest report
kevinrhead, wish I'd noticed them going that cheap frmo Bilek earlier! The auction I was watching before had the price going up and up and up, but that was earlier in the season.

Well, I email the seller yesterday saying I either want refund of £75 and I'll keep the skis (I can handle £75 for a pair in this condition I suppose), or I'll return them and expect a refund for full amount including postage costs. This was yesterday morning and I've heard nothing back from him. If I don't hear today then I'll be raising a dispute with ebay and PayPal to get the full lot back.
snow conditions
After having gone through the paypal / ebay route of complaining. If you paid by paypal, ebay will make you go via paypal. You will need a written report on the condition of the skis (from a shop) and will need to fax it to them within 10 days. Don't expect it to be quick or seem fair. I ended up claiming via the credit card, and it took six months, but got my money back in the end. If you want some more help just pm me.
snow report
carroz, thanks for that. I've now opened a dispute with PayPal as I've tried to contact the seller twice now and have had no response. I didn't really want it to get to this but I'm really pissed off considering the skis were clearly described as "good condition" with no mench at all of edge damage.

I haven't got a written report yet on the condition - at the end of the day, the seller knows they were knackered and so do I. But I'll try and get a proper report done Monday.
snow conditions
petemillis, let us know how you get on - I am in the process of returning a "new" digital photo frame bought on e bay which was missing some of the leads and stopped working an hour after I took it out the box. I would be interested to learn how well the paypal resolution system works.

I agree with the others above - those skis are blown.

Why isn't there an agency which matches up owners who have a single trashed or broken ski so you can split the cost of the loss and one of you gets a functioning pair? Probably a good reason...
latest report
petemillis,

Is the seller a UK ski instructor or another nationality?
ski holidays
DB, he says he a UK instructor who goes away to teach. Maybe that's why I haven't had a reply to emails yet - benefit of the doubt!

stoatsbrother, the lonely ski agency sounds like a cool idea! Will keep you updated with how it works out with PayPal, but looks like it's takes a while as they allow 20 days for us to resolve it between us before they step in to investigate further!
snow conditions
Oh - never close a paypal complaint until the money is actually in your account - you will never be able to restart it.
snow report
eBay appears to be full of Crossmax v12s, NEW, selling for about £200 a pair - sourced from Germany from a seller with 100% and 12000 positive feedback.

Paypal will eventually instruct you to return the skis to him. To return them, you will have to use a signed-for delivery service which is trackable online. Try www.pharos-international.com (or is it co.uk) who will do it for a tenner. Beware, if he refuses to accept the skis from the courier then you cannot ever prove to paypal that you have returned them.

The other thing you can do is to 'pull his details'. Go to http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ9 and ring him up. Be nice and polite and you never know your luck.
snow report
timmyo, cheers for that. I've just had an email from him in which he claims that he didn't realise the skis were damaged (although the edge ding and departure from the base is prtty obvious to me and in the pictures I took), but offering me £50 in settlement. I had asked for £75 back which means the skis would have cost me £75, and I think even that is generous. I'm about to decline his offer of £50 and tell him £75 or take 'em back.
ski holidays
petemillis,
Of course He knew they were damaged, that's why he sold them. Sounds like a chancer, Offer him £50 or take them back. Or just send the boys round. Twisted Evil
snow report
petemillis, Offer to publish his real name and ebay name on a certain well known ski forum. I think you should be insisting on all your money back...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, we've agreed on a price - the seller is refunding £75. I'm going to try dry ski sloping these skis I think over at Knockhatch, and maybe use them at XScape - they're so battered that everyone will think I'm an experienced seasonaire!
ski holidays
petemillis,

result - you got what you wanted (well, hopefully he'll refund without pressing) - well done.
snow report
This is the kind of story that puts me off buying used skis, especially unseen. Used regularly for a whole season by an instructor, I would expect them to be pretty trashed. At least they ended up being reasonably cheap. Hope he pays up as promised.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, thank you - this'll be the first place I report back if no refund comes through!
uktrailmonster, this is what annoyed me a bit. I've bought used skis before and have trusted people to describe the conditon honestly, and have always been happy with what I've got. But these skis...well, he described then as good condition except for some scratches on top - I wasn't expecting the most tidy pair of skis, but neither was I expecting any significant damage. He then tried to say that he didn't realise the edge was damaged, even though the way he had packed the skis made the damage to the edge so obvious. In the end I told him what I was prepared to pay for them and asked him if he could honestly say that he would be happy to pay any more than that himself. That when I got an email saying "OK then". But, yeah, it has made me a bit more wary. I just hope these leather ski boots I've just bought are in good nick!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy