Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How hard is it to snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
I can wakeboard,but how hard will it be for me to learn to snowboard? I live in South Africa,so I can't quickly try snowboarding,I want to know if I will be a capable snowboarder.Advice from anyone who has done both will be great!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, scotty3366. I haven't tried wakeboarding, too cold round here. But my guess is that you would learn to snowboard quite easily. Do you surf? That's good, too. Don't leave it too long to try. Snow in the Drakensberg in a few months? There are probably some wakeboarding snowheads who can give you better advice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi scotty3366,

I tried once but got such terrible cramp in my feet I couldn't bear it. You certainly don't want advice from me, but there's a multitude of boarders out there so it can't be that hard Very Happy

Is there a dry slope you can try? Mr HL learned to ski on a moving carpet affair in SA many years ago, I guess that was around Jo'burg.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have surfed once. Would boarding on a fake slope help? Im going to the Drakensberg in a few months,so I wont be able to get to snow before then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scotty3366 wrote:
Would boarding on a fake slope help?.

I personally don't like them but it would give you a sense of how the gear feels and the basic technique you need - I suggest you get instruction tho.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scotty3366, I've surfed . . . VERY badly . . . and the one thing you have to adjust to is that your first slides on a snowboard need you to control the board through your FRONT foot and not pivot the board on it by forcing the tail around.
I've got to think that if you can wake-board, you should be able to adapt quite quickly to the different sensation, just don't try too hard and fight the board. Snowboards like to be persuaded to perform and will spit you off if manhandled.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are under 28 and athletic, you should expect to be an advanced snowboarder within about 5 - 15 weeks.

Skiing takes roughly 10 - 30 weeks.

Good luck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque. It sounds like snowboarding is the exact opposite of wakeboarding!But I do get what you mean.Thanks guys.
Which would be more exiting?... Skiing or boarding? I can also water ski,so hoefully I will have a easier time learning to snow ski.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scotty3366 wrote:

Which would be more exiting?... Skiing or boarding? I can also water ski,so hoefully I will have a easier time learning to snow ski.

Skiing every time - but I'm an old gal. I tried waterskiing once and couldn't do that either. (little hands - couldnt hold onto the bar)

....I seem to do everything once (well, perhaps not everything and pehaps not only once Very Happy )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scotty3366 wrote:
Which would be more exiting?... Skiing or boarding?

Boarding no question whatsoever.

But then I would say that.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scotty3366, ignore the feeble, wrinkled, wannabe nympho, oxymoron called holidayloverxx,

It's horses for courses. Soft snow and powder let you slash a snowboard all over the hill . . . With an icy crust, skis are a more stable platform to have fun on. Between those conditions there's nothing in it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scotty3366, Have you water skied? Yes you have, then Ski, that way you don't have to keep moaning about your binding position each time the snow type changes and if you get your boots fitted properly, your heel will stay put and you won't have to winge about that. However if you do ski, you will be obliged to complain about the "@RSE" of snowboarders that sit middle piste in groups of 10 at the least safe part of any pitch.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 27-02-07 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque wrote:
scotty3366, ignore the feeble, wrinkled, wannabe nympho, oxymoron called holidayloverxx,

enough of the feeble & wrinkled thank you very much Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, would you prefer 'flapping bap'd' ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scotty3366, the only person worth paying attention to on this thread is Masque. Whitgold hasn't a clue what he's talking about as ever.

Do you have to decide now whether you ski or board - can't you try both when you get there?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that said when I was in Morzine recently it seemed to be groups of skiers that stood side by side at the top of each steep bit of piste trying to pluck up the courage to drop in.
snow conditions
scotty3366, welcome !
I started off skiing and then switched to boarding. I love boarding and i enjoy it more.
Theres nothing like that feeling of flying through virgin powder as fast as you can go !

Masque, are you being mean to holidayloverxx ??? or are they someones alter ego i havent picked up on ?
snow report
We once skied with a couple where the husband was a very keen, high level, water skier and general he-man. He thought he'd be able to ski, no problem. He was a disaster. They both did a beginner course. The wife listened, did what the instructor said, and by the end of the week was doing well. He just blasted down, thought he knew it all, and zig zagged down the piste, ploughing into the crud at the edge each time. Maybe nothing to do with his being a water skier, but it certainly didn't seem to help! It wasn't down to poor instruction either, they were both in the same group.
ski holidays
scotty3366, I learnt to snowboard with a guy who was a wakeboarder and he didn't pick it up any quicker than myself. It sounds like you've got the right attitude though and I would imagine you'll pick up the basics within a few days and be able to get around the mountain by the end of the week. As to whether you will be a capable snowboarder is another question. If you have a chance to stay out in the mountains for a few weeks I see no reason why you couldn't be highly proficient within Whitegold's timeframe, if you were to take lessons. In addition to Masque's thread on the previous page you might also want to have a look at the McNab's DVD and book. If you decide to go out to the mountains be sure to report back here letting us know how you got on. Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 27-02-07 17:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
debbi, I'm just being an *rse . . . I have a rep to live down to wink
latest report
debbi wrote:
scotty3366,

Masque, are you being mean to holidayloverxx ??? or are they someones alter ego i havent picked up on ?

I am no-one's alter ego apart from my own. and yes he(?) is being mean Sad I have no idea what 'flapping bap'd' mean, and not sure I want to Shocked
snow conditions
scotty3366, welcome to all the fun of the site.... Wink

Asking whether skiing or boarding is better is perhaps the biggest can of worms possible that you could open Smile As has been noted though, it really is "horses for courses", and given your experience on a short fat plank, I'd be inclined to try the wintersport version first too (I have enough trouble on two long thin planks Wink) Here's a suggestion though, why not book an hour's private lesson? That is the one sure way of getting the right rate of progress adapting what you know. If it's completely different, you could then go for general lessons (on board or ski).

Good luck and enjoy!
snow report
Lizzard,
Do you have to decide now whether you ski or board - can't you try both when you get there?

Not sure if I did the whole copy and paste thing right. Anyway.I am only going to be in the mountains for a weekend so I dont think that I will be able to do both. I want to do snowboarding because I find wakeboarding to be much more fun than water skiing.
snow report
Its all about balance and if you have it, no problem, but if you don't have good balance, you have a problem.
snow report
scotty3366,

I have learnt to ski from the age of five (33 now) so can't really remember learning. However I have just spent my first 3 days snowboarding and at the end of my 3rd day was quite pleased with my progress...Having seen family/friends learn to ski, I'd say snowboarding is easier to learn... Smile
Only if/when you have tried both skiing and snowboarding will you know which one you prefer..personally, i decided that from now on I will try to fit both in any of my trips. snowHead

Having done quite a bit of waterskiing in my teens, I don't rememeber finding it anything like skiing on snow...However, the more sports such as surfing/wakeboarding/waterskiing you do the better chance you have to adapt quickly to snowboarding and/or skiing....

My last bit of advice is read and dig as much as you can on this site, and write down/remember as much advice as you can, don't be afraid to ask..
I did exactly that, and two weeks ago in Austria it made my life a whole lot easier!! Very Happy
latest report
Hi boarding is great fun, steep learning curve but very rewarding if you stick with it for a little while. Big difference to surfing because in boarding you only really use your lower body. Heels toes and knees are the key, no throwing the upper body around like surfers do.......I found this out the hard way.............lol. Biggest bit of advice, get lessons dont try to teach yourself because you will kind of learn how to chop down a hill but with lessons you learn how to do it properly
snow report
hey kruisler are you me in disguise?

38, learned to ski at 4. lots of waterskiing in the teens. wakeboarding and surfing now (bit of tow surfing too). learned to snowboard this year and won't be going back.

scotty try out snowboarding by preference, i reckon. if you imagine the weight transfer and edge feeling of a big laid out wakeboard turn that's what snowboarding feels like, or (surfing) the biggest fronside bottom turn you ever did.

i would also agree snow and waterskiing dont feel at all the same, weight transfer, position etc all totaly different.

good luck whatever you go for. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
rogg,

Very Happy There are some similarities!!

Never tried surfing/wakeboarding, only bodyboarding....And ended up with a big scare near Biarritz, where I spent a bit too much time under water for my liking!! Very Happy

Used to do quite a lot of windsurfing though when i was still in France.

Me and the wife have decided to invest in an old VW bay camper very soon, so I am hoping for a few trips to cornwall and give surfing a go...

Then i'll definitely be you!! Very Happy

or is it you who will be me?? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ahhhh....... forgot to mention the windsurfing........... spooky Laughing
latest report
Skiing is easier to get started on if you are only going for a couple of days. Snowboarding is a world of pain for the first couple of days but improvements are quicker. I snowboarded before I wakeboarded and found there are similarities. I also find that I surf better after time in the powder. Skiing and boarding are both great but if you enjoy your wakeboarding more than your waterskiing then I would say board.
ski holidays
scotty3366, I do both Snowboarding and wakeboarding, but I started snowboarding first and I reckoned it helped my wakeboarding (once I'd managed to stand up.)

I think the feel of wakeboarding is similar to the feeling of boarding in deep powder, which is just brilliant!

Hopefully, being used to the sensation of moving fast across the water and the improved balance developed when you've been wakeboarding, will help you with your snowboarding.

...Can't help with the skiing/snowboarding argument as I've never skied, but surely snowboarding looks more fun!...all those skis, skipoles, legs and arms flying in all different directions has never appealed to me!
snow report
Japow, joydivision, I started boarding after learning to surf and found that whenever I went to do one then I'd improved at the other "behind its back".
ski holidays
I don't know if being a wakeboarder will make it any easier to pick up snowboarding, but a mate of mine is a wakeboarder and because he is used to riding switch, getting airs and doing rails on his wakeboard it has made his progression to doing these on a snowboard a lot quicker that the average beginner.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy