Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sella Ronda - where to base ourselves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So planning a long overdue first trip to the Dolomites and in particular the Sella Ronda is at the top of our list.

We are a group of 6 adults. Confident intermediates to advanced skiers. We are travelling last week of January 2020 to avoid school holidays etc. I'm looking to pick the brains of the experts on here about where to base ourselves. We would obviously like easy access to the circuit but also to have some pistes in the immediate area as well. Looking at the piste map, this kinda puts us in either Selva, Corvara or Arabba? I like the look of the last two with the runs down to San Cassiano and up to Marmolada respectivley. Am I right in thinking that Arabba will cater more to the advanced skiers with some steeper stuff around there?
As for the "resort life" we certainly aren't bothered about mental apres i.e clubs! We would like a few decent restaurants and some friendly bars to spend the evening in.

It'll be a week trip, so are there any must do's that we can add to our itinerary? Very open to suggestions from people in regards to places to eat, stay etc as well!

Thanks all
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Really good prices last time I looked (350-400 PP) for Garni Bellavista half board room cost, flying to Venice and using Arabba transfer service. Keep the place warm the week before the Birthday Bash. And Arabba definitely for your group. If choosing Bellavista or Portavescovo all the info in the Birthday Bash thread - in terms of location, routes, ski hire etc- will be useful to you travelling the week before
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arabba is a good spot for accessing the most challenging of the skiing in the area. The Marmolada is worth doing on a clear day and you will beat the queues coming from Arabba.

You can do the World War I Tour which takes in the Hidden Valley if taken anti-clockwise. https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Sellaronda-Grande-Guerra

Bear in mind the Sella Ronda route is often busy, but you can use it to access the whole linked area, you can ski all the way to Ortisei, via the Saslong World Cup Run in Val Gardena and the 'James Bond run' from the top of Seceda down to Ortisei.

You can do a daytrip out to Kronplatz too, by skiing over & catching the bus from Pedraces to Piculin.

There are some challenging off-piste itineraries off the Marmolada & Sass Pordoi cablecars, but you would need good snow and a guide for those.

Arabba is quiet of an evening, a few restaurants and bars and if there's 6 of you, you can make your own party, I guess! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Myself and a group of 15 other lads will be around Sella Ronda the same week. We opted for Canazei. Seems to be in reach of everything and okayish apres from what we could gather.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a big fan of Corvara for mixed groups with less confident intermediate skiers but once you get beyond that and start looking for somewhere with more advanced skiing (yet still with good access to nice long blues) then Arabba would be my choice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
olderscot wrote:
I'm a big fan of Corvara for mixed groups with less confident intermediate skiers but once you get beyond that and start looking for somewhere with more advanced skiing (yet still with good access to nice long blues) then Arabba would be my choice.
Agreed. However I stayed in Corvara for the first time this year and one thing struck me, which was how quickly one can get to Selva - and therefore points beyond Selva - from there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was in both Canazei and Campitello this season, would recommend both, preferred to Selva.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice everyone. Arabba it is as first choice.

Is it possible to get over from Arabba to Selva, enjoy a few runs over there and get back in one day or we will be pushed for time? They are pretty much right opposite each other on the Ronda so I'm guessing yes it's possible to get there, but not to hang around for eg, lunch.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fridge03, no problem getting around to Selva. The faster people on the Birthday Bash will get around to Ortisei and back without much problem. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
@Fridge03, no problem getting around to Selva. The faster people on the Birthday Bash will get around to Ortisei and back without much problem. snowHead
Absolutely, I was just musing on the fact that Corvara is nearer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I love Arraba great slopes directly from accommodation
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arabba night life is 'Very' quiet, pretty much limited to Pete's bar and the Portavescovo bar. Everything else is a Plus
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all,

Just an update on our location choice. We couldn't really find anything that ticked our boxes in Arabba that also wasn't a silly price.

But we have booked for Penia, just up the road from Canazei. Got a very good offer from Neilson with the half price lift pass and a further £100 off per person. From what I can see/have read, it's actually a handy spot to get both up onto the Sella Ronda from Alba (and the relatviely new lift there) and also to get over and explore towards Pozza as well. Arabba and the Marmolada is also not too far away by ski or by bus if we feel lazy.

Would the Hidden Valley be doable from there? We are pretty quick skiers, normally out on the first lift.

Role on January now I guess!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Just an update on our location choice. We couldn't really find anything that ticked our boxes in Arabba that also wasn't a silly price.

But we have booked for Penia, just up the road from Canazei. Got a very good offer from Neilson with the half price lift pass and a further £100 off per person. From what I can see/have read, it's actually a handy spot to get both up onto the Sella Ronda from Alba (and the relatviely new lift there) and also to get over and explore towards Pozza as well. Arabba and the Marmolada is also not too far away by ski or by bus if we feel lazy.

Would the Hidden Valley be doable from there? We are pretty quick skiers, normally out on the first lift.

I've stayed in Pozza di Fassa twice. Got the bus from Pozza to Canazei, and skied the hidden valley and back in a day, including a 30-60minute stop for lunch. It was a full on day skiing, and made it back with not huge amounts of time.

The skiing in the Pozza area is limited, there aren't loads of slopes but what is there is empty on the occasions i've been, one of which was February half term!

Loved the area, and would go back in a heart beat, especially if you're a big fan of cruising around pistes all day long.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fridge03, Yes your very near the modern fast Col de Rossi cable car at Alba which gets you straight onto the Sella Ronda. If it’s your first visit to the area it can be a good idea earlier in the week to head over to Prolongia area via Arabba & check out the route to the bus/taxi which would take you to hidden valley cable car. But once you get your bearings it’s no problem with ample time to spare. But best on a clear sunny day to make the most of the stunning scenery.
snow conditions
Great. Thanks for the tips guys. Can't wait for our first taste of the Dolomites. From what I've heard, I won't want to ski anywhere else after!
snow conditions
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Doable - but why not make a overnight stay on Lagazuoi? gives you possibility for Cinque Torri or Tofana or the World War I tour.

(and time to get lost on the Alta Badia area Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
Couple thoughts. The Sella Ronda is something fun to do, but it isn’t the best skiing there, partly because so many folks want to do it. Go for it, eyes open. Hidden Valley is also a so-so run at best, often choked with gapers looking at the view....and who can blame them, its stunning and worth it for the view alone. Plus, Rifugio Scotoni is a fantastic lunch stop halfway down, and at the bottom the horse-lift is a gas to do once. I can’t wait to walk my talk again in March, have a blast.
snow report
I’m thinking of staying in Pozza. Are there any decent bars? Just a few drinks with a bit of music/pool table will do. I’m looking at ski bus and it seems I can stay in Canazei for some apres till 1930hrs. Just thinking about a local bar is all.
latest report
obrien859 wrote:
I’m thinking of staying in Pozza. Are there any decent bars? .
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

No, it'll be pretty dead. Selva is the only town on the SR that has much in the way of apres/nightlife.

I've stayed in Canazei and did get lucky. There was a young Danish band in residence in a bar. They rocked the place at apres time.
latest report
That's not too surprising given Canazai is the #1 Danish ski destination. It's like their Val d'Ispair or Merihell wink
ski holidays
We stayed in Arraba a few years ago and although it is a great base it is very quiet, if we went again I think we would choose Corvara as there is more skiing for the less experienced in our group
latest report
Arabba never seems quiet when we're there... for some reason Wink
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
admin wrote:
That's not too surprising given Canazai is the #1 Danish ski destination. It's like their Val d'Ispair or Merihell wink

Just you wait - soon we will launch our viking ships and sail across to take over after BOJO! It's not only Canazei we take over! Toofy Grin

I find Plan de Gralba a very good bass if you do not need nightlife! Madeye-Smiley

Driving to Canazei can be a pain when the Passo Sella or Passo Fedaia are closed. Sad
ski holidays
Do me and plenty more of us a favor, @Hyst, and keep sailing west once you're done with Bojo. There's another blonde that needs to go.
snow report
Ha, Very Happy

"While not the first to sight the North American continent, Leif Erikson became the first Viking to explore the land of Vinland (part of North America, probably near modern-day Newfoundland). Leif invited his father on the voyage, but according to legend, Erik fell off his horse on the way to the ship and took this as a bad sign, leaving his son to continue on without him.[15] Erik died in the above-cited epidemic the winter after his son's departure. There is no evidence that Leif was aware of his father's death until he returned to Greenland."

However I will bypass T. and join my friends further west from Seattle.
Just love my Onsen.

ski holidays
See ya when ya get here. There are a lot of us Scandahoovians in Seattle, where you can occasionally see this bumper sticker: Columbus used a Norwegian map!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scooter in Seattle, Go west, it is a nice place to visit for skiing, onsen and food. (and people!) snowHead
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
obrien859 wrote:
I’m thinking of staying in Pozza. Are there any decent bars? .
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

No, it'll be pretty dead. Selva is the only town on the SR that has much in the way of apres/nightlife.

I've stayed in Canazei and did get lucky. There was a young Danish band in residence in a bar. They rocked the place at apres time.

My experience of Selva is that it is pretty dead, apres wise. Stayed there half a dozen times, Canazei this Jan and Feb had a bit more life (not much, just a bit)
latest report
Reading with interest as never done Dolomites. Quick additional question to the above - if just doing a short break what’s the best base for intermediate/ advanced group with shorter transfer prob from Treviso?
latest report
dgschof wrote:
if just doing a short break what’s the best base for intermediate/ advanced group with shorter transfer prob from Treviso?

Arabba.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
dgschof wrote:
if just doing a short break what’s the best base for intermediate/ advanced group with shorter transfer prob from Treviso?

Arabba.

I love the very Whitegold one word response. It really helps that your answer is relevant to the question too.
latest report
Thanks for the clear steer!
One word answer invited to this too Laughing -
Is Cortina a contender (Yes/No)!
snow report
No (not if you want to be on/do the Ronda area)
ski holidays
I would love to go to Arabba next.

We've been staying in Selva (3 years now) b/c my wife prefers XC, so she has all the trails of Monte Pana and Alpe di Siusi. Selva is very...pleasant, and upscale, and there are a ton of beginner/intermediate runs in the immediate area (Alpe di Siusi, Secada, Plan Gralba, Colfosco Corvara. You would need a solid week to ski them all once. However, if you are looking for expert runs, there are maybe only half a dozen blacks, and none of them are fear-inducing.
snow report
@dgschof,
Quote:

Is Cortina a contender (Yes/No)!

No
snow conditions
We stayed in Penia de Canazei last year with Neilson, Chalet Hotel Dolomites Inn. Excellent position as long as you don't mind a bus to the lifts, which were very frequent if you walk 3 minutes down to the main road & free guiding/teaching if you want it. Easy access to the circuit & plenty of local skiing on the opposite side of the road, + access to other locally if you get the bus. Penia de Canazei was very quiet, but plenty of apres in Canazei itself, a few minutes on the bus or a half hour walk.
We found the circuit VERY busy considering this was late Jan/early Feb & the weather not great, the reds into Arraba heading clockwise were in horrible condition by lunchtime & fairly lethal by mid afternoon, icy, chopped up & very mogully plus full of the world & his wife, half of whom didn't appear to be able to actually ski.
You can easily do hidden valley or Marmolada from here or Arabba, but worth being on early lifts out of resort to do either, we probably wasted 2 hours in queues for taxis & lifts to hidden valley, arrived at Marmolada just as they were opening the main lifts up as it had been white out earlier - fortunately the forecast was spot on & we had trusted it - Accuweather seemed pretty much bang on the money all week, which really helps you plan - you don't want to get caught on the opposite side of the circuit if the weather closes in!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy