Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yawn, yawn....yet another "where shall we go?" thread if you can be bothered!

Poster: A snowHead
So, Mr HH and I have been skiing a bit this season....well we always do....but the snow has left much to be desired! So we've got this cunning plan....lash out a decent amount of cash, go to a nice hotel, get a fantastic holiday under our belts where we get to hurl ourselves down the piste without worrying if there'll be a rock or huge patch of earth over the next ridge! We've booked a week off work in March and are haniging out for a late deal to be sure there's gonna be some snow. So where shall we go? I'm really looking for hotel recommendations as much as anything....if we're going to spend a bit I'd like it to be for somewhere half decent (I may never persuade Mr HH to lash out again for a good few years! wink )

Criteria so far are:

1 In Europe but NOT France - Austria or Switzerland probably favourites so far
2 Fantastic Snow conditions guaranteed.
3 Nice hotel...a bit of luxury
4 Short transfer time
5 Largeish ski area to explore
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
homphomp,

Grand Hotel, Zell am See. Nice spot with guaranteed snow at Kaprun?

Was there last year on 17th March and we had great snow right down to the lake.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
homphomp, no idea at all. But I hope you have a really nice time snowHead Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im sure someone a little more informed will be better able to assist, but is option 2 in your list plausible this season Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about Obergurgl? We stayed at the Hotel Gotthard, but the Edelweiss next door is dead posh. Resort report here High up, about 90minute transfer from Innsbruck, ski area not huge, but you could go down to Solden for a day to extend it...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hoppo, i agree, stayed in Hotel Edelweiss two years, and it was outstanding, would definately recommend to anyone
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fly to Zurich, drive 90mins to Laax, plenty of luxury hotels/spa to choose from
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

In Europe but NOT France

Apart from the fact that lots of our brethren go there, why do some people have an 'absolutely not' attitude to France. Not criticising, each to their own, just interested why not?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With all the snow falling in Europe at the moment, what about the Hotel Arlberg in Lech, Hospitz Alm in St Christoph or or any of the big hotels in Courchevel 1850. Whatever, have a wonderful indulgent time!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
martski, I thought that too, but maybe homphomp has already been to France this winter? I was just about to suggest somewhere nice too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skilegs, I have always fancied the St Christoph Hospiz.
My wife asked me - "whats a hospiz"
I said " about a gallon and a half" rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
martski, I think it may be because they fancy a change Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
homphomp,
I cant really recommend individual hotels as I tend to do cheap nowadays with kids, but I've never stayed in a bad Austrian hotel. The pricey Swiss ones have always been good.

Zermattt sounds pretty good for snow this year. Lech is lovely and meets your criteria if you go via Innsbruck I stayed un a great 4* at Oberlech but cannot remember the name. Ischgl has some pretty swish hotels and is convenient for Innsbruck.

Sounds like you should have a great time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you do fancy Zell then we stayed at the Gasthof Steinerwirt a few weeks back and it was very nice. A few minutes walk from both the lake and the slopes. We only skied Zell itself, didn't take the bus trip round to the glacier but I think it would fall down on your criteria for 5.

1 Yes, Ausria
2 hmm, there's always the glacier (linked by bus and included on the liftpass)
3 Steinerwirt would tick that box, although there are better hotels in town
4 quick transfer from Salzburg, train an option.
5 That's where it might fail, you'd need a day or 2 on the glacier to mix it up a bit.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homphomp, ever thought about Lenzerheide or Arosa in the Swiss Graubunden? Great ski circus within easy reach of Zurich. Check out the websites!
ski holidays
I was going to say Zermatt, but the transfer may not fit your criteria... so what about Cervinia? It's not France anyway...

Transfer would be easy, either flights to Geneva and through the MB tunnel or to Turin (or Milan). I couldn't offer a hotel, as I only went with the kids and budget was the order of our trip, but there would be some good ones there (and if you decided on it, others could offer a suggestion).

Good skiing, with Zermatt available. Pretty much guaranteed good snow (as good as you are going to get anyway Confused ) and it certainly was good when I went in December...
snow conditions
If the snow is good in Austria and you want to try Kitzbuhel then this is where we stayed - Schloss Lebenberg.
http://www.austria-trend.at/en/?id=leb
Trip advisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190446-d206662-Reviews-Hotel_Schloss_Lebenberg-Kitzbuhel_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html
We upgraded to the luxury rooms and they were fab. Very relaxed hotel although on the downside it is slightly out of town. There is a regular shuttle from the hotel to Kitzbuhel town though so thats taken care of. Food was excellent and we made full use of the spa and leisure areas.
The area is good IF there is snow... two main areas - Hahnenkam and Horn, and we also made use of the link to Westendorf and the SkiWelt one day for a change!
snow report
homphomp, we would choose Obergurgl or Saas-Fee - it has to be somewhere high. In Obergurgl the Edelweiss is OK, but the Bergwelt is better for couples, although a short distance from the lifts (it's on a little hill and you can ski down to the lifts and then ski back close to the hotel along a track). Saas-Fee probably has too long a transfer, but the Ferienart is really nice and you are guaranteed good snow up on the glacier.
latest report
Saas Fee is definitely the prettiest ski resort I've been to in terms of the village, and there are definitely some posh hotels there. High up and with a glacier the snow is pretty sure, ski area isn't huge, but you can do a day trip to Zermatt. Transfer is fairly long - couple of hours or so. (I've written a resort report...)
latest report
You could try the Trofana Royal or the Madlein in Ischgl - both are swanky hotels.
Snow should be OK too.
snow report
I'd recommend Obergurgl as well. We stayed at http://www.hotel-jenewein.com/ Lovely hotel, great food, right next to the lifts & the bar/terrace is right at the bottom of the home run! Very nice.

The ski area is linked to the Hochgurgl ski area via gondola & there are a few 5* hotels there too I think.

Solden is about 20 mins down the road if memory serves - it's lower resort but higher ski area.
snow report
Can recommend the Trofana Royal in Ischgl....
snow report
Hoppo wrote:
What about Obergurgl? We stayed at the Hotel Gotthard, but the Edelweiss next door is dead posh.

And did the accomodation live up to expectations?

Sorry...coat....door... Embarassed
snow report
Boris wrote:
homphomp, no idea at all. But I hope you have a really nice time snowHead Cool

Thanks....we will!!
snow report
davidpratt15 wrote:
Im sure someone a little more informed will be better able to assist, but is option 2 in your list plausible this season Laughing

Blimey....I hope so!! May have to go back to France after all as they seem to be getting loads of the white stuff!
snow report
martski wrote:
Quote:

In Europe but NOT France

Apart from the fact that lots of our brethren go there, why do some people have an 'absolutely not' attitude to France. Not criticising, each to their own, just interested why not?

Michelle is right....we went to France 5 times last year, have already been 3 times this year and are going back for the EoSB! We LOVE France....we just want to do something else this time....
ski holidays
Thanks for all the recommendations......now I'm off to search out the snow reports, check out all these resorts and hotels and get something booked up!
snow report
homphomp, ...and Puzzled snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, probably too late, but those i know with some money (ie not divorced Sad ) recommend the Ingams Luxury bochure.
ski holidays
Michelle wrote:
homphomp, ...and Puzzled snowHead

No news yet, decided to let the late availability "bargains" get a bit better......so Jonpim you're not too late!!
ski holidays
Well....I read all your comments, studied the web, read the "Where to Ski" guide and hunted around on Iglu. In the end, I've ignored all your wonderful advice and plumped for this hotel in Bad Hofgastein. Couldn't resist the idea of shuffling in my robe directly from the hotel to the town spa (or the fact that it was an absolute steal from Crystal at less than £350 each half board including free wine!!) Only time will tell if you were right and I'm wrong!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy