Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 17th - 20th March

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked flights from City of Derry - Prestwick.

Return flights for 2 peeps + 4 days car hire for £100.00 (Ryanair deal) Very Happy

If there is snow we will head upto the mountains. If there isn't we'll stay with friends in Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

If you are in the area at the time give me a shout. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is what you call a win-win situation. Nice!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would love to ski glencoe or nevis range, but we'll have to follow the snow.
snow report
 brian
brian
johnboy, that's the weekend of the League Cup final (on the Sunday). The green half of Edinburgh might be in party mode.

Might be able to join you for a day, keep me posted on your plans.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian,

Will do. No accommadation booked as yet, will wait and follow the best snow. Would be good to meet up Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any recommendations for accommodation much appreciated!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Mrs johnboy,
2 hotels near fort bill.
http://www.inverlochycastlehotel.com -£400 per night - 2 miles from Nevis range
http://www.washearings.com/was_hotels/hotels/BCALFO.html about £30 per night
Never stayed at either but I would say that hotels here are quite expensive compared to Europe.
Hope to see you both again when you are over snowHead

If I ever stay over in Aviemore I do like this place :
http://www.cairngorm.com/
snow conditions
 brian
brian
http://www.oldpines.co.uk/

.... is quite nice and very near Nevis, but it's very small, you can end up eating with other guests to fit the tables which could be hit or miss I suppose ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian,

Have you stayed there? It is actually one of the places Mrs JB had earmarked.

Looks nice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thicko me! I have stayed in Spean Bridge in a reasonable hotel (before I moved up here) I will look at the name of it next time I drive past rolling eyes It's oposite the mill-shop in a walled garden.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
II, brian,

Have you guys heard of a place called Clan McDuff Hotel?

They are doing 3 nights B&B and 3 evening meals for £109.00 per person. Sounds like a pretty good deal??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No never heard of it. Just looked at the website for it….
Fort William has a centre where all the shops and pubs are and then there is a line of houses /B+B’s / hotels which stretches for a mile or so south along the A82. It looks like it may be a bit out of the centre.
However http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186545-d496640-Reviews-Clan_Macduff_Hotel-Fort_William_Lochaber_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland.html
Seems to love it Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks II, we're going to book the accommodation the week before when we have a better idea of snow conditions.

Hopefully we'll be able to catch up.
latest report
 brian
brian
johnboy, yes I've stayed at the old pines, it is nice with the caveat I mentioned above that it's pretty cosy. As I said, if you don't mind mixing with your fellow guests that's no problem. It was fine for us.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Never stayed at the Clan Macduff but I know where it is, it'll get a cracking view over Loch Linnhe to ardgour.

Another possibility is the Isles of Glencoe hotel down at Ballachulish, not stayed there either but been in for a swim/lunch type thing which was nice, although it was several years ago.

Does the Clachaig have rooms ? I've camped outside there a few times in my youth, cracking atmosphere as the bar is usually full of climbers, walkers, skiers etc.

Ditto the Kingshouse which is right opposite the Glencoe ski centre.
snow conditions
Clachaig and kingshouse both have or at least had rooms it's a while since I have been. The skiing in Glencoe has only limited opening now though and I don't think it is open monday or Tuesday though I may be wrong. I'd of thought Fort William is a better place to stay as its a bit quicker through to Aviemore if the snow / weather happens to be better in the east.
snow conditions
Can't remember if you can stay at the Clachaig - but it is a must for a meal/pint if in the area.
snow report
Clachaig is quite pricy but the rooms are big and the breakfasts huge!

And of course as Elizabeth B said its a must for food and a pint in the bar.

Glencoe looked like it received a decent top up of snow this week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1 week to go.

Feeling very mild here today though Mad
latest report
It isn't nice to pour cold water here but if you find snow it may not be skiable.

I have been monitoring the snow in Scotland with snoweye.

You can also see the number of lifts declared open in here. Those open may be just for walking!
snow report
This probably gives a better feel of things with photos from yesterday http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=324
snow report
Ray Zorro, Thanks - Looking at the long range forecast it looks like we're going to get an icy blast from the North at the weekend so fingers crossed!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Mrs johnboy, was hoping to get up at the weekend but looking unlikely.

Currently the weather looks like it'll be wild on Saturday, in fact if it comes off as forecast I doubt much uplift will run. Should snow though, so if it eases off a bit on Sunday it could be really good. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you anyway !
ski holidays
Mrs johnboy, If a Scottish Mountain man says it is going to be windy then be afraid.......be very afraid.
latest report
Mrs johnboy,

Current forecast (well my best guess) for west at mid mountain level:

Rain on Thurday 15th am will turn to Snow hopefully snowHead
More snow (10-15cm maybe) on Friday night
Saturday milder but not much precipitation and the wind may drop enough for the lifts to run Smile
Sunday : windy Sad
Monday more snow and lighter winds Smile
Tuesday looks cold and light winds as well Smile

Any forecast for Scotland needs to be taken with a pinch of salt and any more than 3 days in advance is guess work rolling eyes but this is my guess Toofy Grin
latest report
 brian
brian
II, have you been looking at the latest GFS by any chance ? The met and ecm still show Saturday as very windy and not so mild. Be interesting to see if they move the same way as the GFS when their 12zs come out.

johnboy, Mrs johnboy, will you still be skiing on Tuesday? hmmmmmm
latest report
brian,
Of course i've been looking at the GFS this one: (well the one before it rolling eyes )
but I don't belive it blindly and have looked at one or 2 other forecasts MWIS is out now- I like prolonged blizzards likely for friday Very Happy
ski holidays
brian,

No skiing on tuesday as we'll be on our way back to Prestwick. Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We'll try and ski if possible but it'll be nice to chill out for a few days and hopefully catch up with some friends in Aberdeen and Glasgow if the snow thing doesn't work out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, so the plan is

Saturday - Drive to Aberdeen, get drunk celebrating St Patricks day

Sunday- Drive to Aviemore, ski if possible.

Monday- Ski Nevis or Glencoe

Tuesday - Drive back to Prestrick
ski holidays
OK

Just arrived in Edinburgh after a days skiing at Nevis

Got the gondola up at 9.30am. Bit of confusion about what lifts were open at the start. There is at least a foot of fresh snow at the top of the gondola with hugh drifts everywhere. They hadn't groomed anything and didn't seem in any rush to get the piste bashers going. Visability was pretty crap, but occassionally the sun came out. Reckon once the cloud clears and they can be arsed to piste bash conditions will be very nice.
latest report
johnboy,
Sorry I mised you yesterday but the forcast was not good Neutral
Just back from skiing at Nevis today. They never normaly piste the goose ever ...unless it icy to loosen it up rolling eyes Do normally do the blue runs and the reds either side of the Goose tow if there is snow on them. + sidewinder (easy red to the top of the chair)
I'm not great in deep tracked out snow myself and fell over more times today than the rest of the season put together. 3 high speed wipeouts on the goose Embarassed Did really enjoy it though Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy