Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December 2007 any ideas???

Poster: A snowHead
My first post on the forum so Hi to everyone.
My family and I are looking to go skiing for 2 weeks over Chritmas/new year in 2007 and want to know where the best place to go would be regarding snow and family atmosphere, not just snow on the pistes but everywhere!. Our group is mixed from intermediate to novice level.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfstar, Welcome to snowHead and hope you enjoy it.

Many others will say similar I'm sure but if 'the highest' likelihood of snow is what you are after as the ONLY requirement then the highest resorts will be your first choice. However that is no guarantee and for the last few years ( with the exception of last Xmas ) you could have gone just about anywhere.

It might help if you could give the good folks here some other criteria, like ages, ability mixes, preferred country (ies), language preferences, rowdy or otherwise, budgets - as there are as many views as posters on snowHead !!!

Enjoy the site !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
December is an iffy month to go because of lack of snow in Europe, If you have the money I would recommend Banff / Lake Louise, Canada. They are really friendly there, lot's and lot's of mountains! and usually have plenty of snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
surfstar, welcome to the site, I would back up what Agenterre says and take a view of replies over time... it's not quite the case that there are more opinions than snowHeads, but it's fair to say there is indeed a broad range of opinion Wink

My own preference is for the French Alps; came back from La Rosiere a week ago and that would be ideal IF it had the snow (it didn't at Christmas 2006). The other thing I would advise is to browse around the various reports too; there's a wealth of information here!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
surfstar wrote:
My first post on the forum so Hi to everyone.
My family and I are looking to go skiing for 2 weeks over Chritmas/new year in 2007 and want to know where the best place to go would be regarding snow and family atmosphere, not just snow on the pistes but everywhere!. Our group is mixed from intermediate to novice level.

Thanks

Welcome.

Head high.

Pick a village with a base level of at least 1800m.

Ideally, it should have a glacier.

Val d'Isere, Tignes and Val Thorens, all in France, are probably the safest bet in the Alps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
surfstar, for a Christmas atmosphere, there have been numerous threads and my recollection is that Austria generally scores higher in that department.

You didn't say how old you family are. If they were very young, there were some good deals to Lapland Christmas just gone, at good prices. Some friends of mine combined skiing and a visit to Santa and got a good deal (and reported good skiing).

As far as the snow goes, well, I don't think anyone would want to make a prediction for next year based on this year's meagre offerings. You could take a chance if you have to book now, or you could leave it till nearer the time and see where the snow is going. In recent years, Austria has tended to fare better than France for the early snow (and doesn't need so much to get the skiing going), but not so this season and could that be the start of a reversal?

Places with good early snow (and/or glacier), include those that Whitegold has posted above, but could also include, Les Deux Alpes, Zermatt/Cervinia, Saas Fee, Obertauern, Ischgl, Obergurgl or Hintertux.

It will be interesting to see if there is anything like the repeat of this season again next year. Let's all hope not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grear topic surfstar.

Im also due to head away for Christmas 2007 and will be watching this post to see what the Snowheads have to say. I have looked into it a little so far and from what i can recall Obergurgl is usually open from Mid November so should be relatively snow sure and its a short transfer. Its also got some high (above 3,000m skiing).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surfstar, Hi and welcome. If you want "cutesy" as well as the certain ability to ski then I'd recommend either Saas Fe or Zermatt as they both have summer skiing glaciers - but they are both expensive resorts!

I disagree with Whitegold, as he says village level is the prime importance - NOT SO - skiing level is more important. We normally have snow in the village at Christmas (and did this year, although it wasn't great), but we have the majority of our best skiing above 2000m although the village is only 1650 - ADH on the other hand is 1850 for the village, but a large proportion of it's skiing is not higher than the town - this can make a difference. Not that I'm putting down ADH. Note: Val Thorens - village 2,300m, highest skiing 3,100m : LDA village 1650m, highest skiing 3,600m .... verticle drop much bigger. Not that I'm biased or anything .... Very Happy Very Happy

I forgot to add that you should look for mainly north facing slopes as they hold the snow better, but if your kids are small that may be too cold for them.

Contrary to what one poster has suggested, Europed DOES NOT ALWAYS HAVE BAD EARLY SNOW - we had shedloads last year.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
surfstar, welcome to Snowheads; your first topic is going to run and run. snowHead snowHead snowHead Where have you been skiing up to now, and what did you think of the resorts you've visited? Why don't you want to go back to one of them; what was missing? Two weeks is a long holiday and, if you ski all the time, very expensive in lift passes. Would you be looking to take a non-consecutive day pass and do things other than ski? (for example shop, snow-shoe, walk, eat fantastic lunches, toboggan? What kind of accommodation? One fundamental problem with your requirements is that whilst nowhere is guaranteed snow the places which are most likely to have it may have very little in the way of family (or any other) atmosphere. One immediate suggestion is La Plagne, maybe Belle Plagne, which should have reasonable likelihood of good snow, and where there are several "real" villages lower down, which gives you the chance to get down amongst the trees if its snowy and bleak higher up, and also some interesting itineraries to more villagey restaurants. Also a good place for learners.

However, lots of people are going to tell you it's not an ideal time for a ski holiday and they'd be right. New Year can be both very crowded and not very snowy (Christmas is less crowded, and even less snowy, on average). Easter is early next year, could be a much better bet. Cheaper, nicer weather, more likelihood of decent snow.

Now just wait for all those different views, for example from people who can't stand La Plagne. I confess I have only been there once, but I think it has quite a lot to offer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
went to Tignes last Christmas had a great time. Plenty of snow and clear blue skies but pretty cold. Our teenagers found it cold enough never mind small children. They had torchlight descent, fireworks etc. Have also been to Chamonix at Christmas - good atmostphere, expensive and skiing too spread out for people of varying abilties.

Would love to try austria but somehow never seem confident enough to book it at this time of year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What about Kaprun? It has a glacier, some skiing above 3,000m and doesnt look too expensive?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok i feel have opened a can of worms here.
Some finer details to help with this decision:
I am male 26yrs and intermediate level, my wife is 30yrs and novice/intermediate level, our son is 10yrs and intermediate level, and the mother in law is 55 and a complete beginner.
Im looking to spend quite a bit and realise that a 2 week break is going to cost alot.
We have only been skiing before to La Thuile, Italy (i think thats how you spell it) It was nice there but minimal snow around the village.
We are after snow in and around the villages/towns and good snow on the slopes(arent we all)
Not to bothered about the whole Santa theme either.
Language barriers are not a problem and if it is in europe then we will be driving there. We have always fancied Austria but not sure i want to gamble with booking it now.
I have been told Canada/America is our best bet, can anyone confirm this?

Hope this helps
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and i forgot to say we are after ski in ski out facilities!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For ski in ski out is difficult in US/Canada, most are short bus rides. only place in Canada that I know of where you have a 10 min walk to the Gondola is Whistler if you stay in the whistler village... brilliant skiing there for all levels.
snow report
buzz55, if you stay on the Blackcomb side, you have a lot of ski-in/ski-out on the slope above Merlins.

Also available at:
Alta/Snowbird
Aspen/Snowmass
Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
Breckenridge
Deer Valley
Park City
Vail
Winter Park

...and probably a few other places as well.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat - yeah but, usually / when I went the bottom part in the village was hardly any snow (mainly grass). but it depends I suppose on snow conditions, something to bare in mind.
ski holidays
I have spoke to her indoors and we are gonna leave it till feb half term and maybe Val d'Isere will be a contender.
Just means i have to wait a year till i go!! Sad
snow report
Quote:

We are after snow in and around the villages/towns and good snow on the slopes(arent we all)

Well, no. We all want good snow on the slopes but many people go for a "proper" town or village, rather than a ski station, knowing that they will have to take a chance on resort level snow. Val D'Isere not ideal for a complete beginner, especially an elderly one. Masses of stuff on this forum about Val D'Isere. I'm not a fan but their superb lift system can cope with the inevitable half term hordes and there's good tuition available for all levels. If money no object I'd be tempted to go to North America at Christmas/New Year, myself... not so long to wait.
latest report
i need to start doing my homework.
snow report
Les Contamines has never failed me - there always seems to be snow.
snow report
surfstar, how about Big White in Canada? There is a report here from a trip over Christmas this year. Sounds like it would suit you just fine.

This is a webcam shot of Big White's 'high street' - my hotel is just out of shot behind the webcam, step out of the back door right onto this piste snowHead

latest report
Oh - and did I mention I'll be there in 10 days' time? wink Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Les Contamines has never failed me - there always seems to be snow.

I like Les Contamines very much, we often go there as it is quite near Les Saisies, where our apartment is. We go straight up to the top from the Belleville side and very rarely ski all the way down to Les Contamines village. But it's quite low; it could certainly not guarantee snow in the village at Christmas time. There are a few nice looking ski in and out places, but most of the village wouldn't be, and some of it is some distance from the lifts. In Europe if you require fairly snow-sure ski in/out you are going to be at the kind of altitude where nobody ever built a proper village or town.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy