Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding settings on my skis - huge discrepancy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So downhill racers weigh up to 240kg then eh? That's a lot of stones!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier, they come in large pairs Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman wrote:
AxsMan,
I'll get you some Downhill Race bindings if you want. Fixed non release toe piece and heel piece that goes to DIN 24. Toofy Grin

Yes they'd (just about) do it! Laughing

24!!! Think my legs would snap off before my skis at that setting Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, you're getting me interested, do elaborate Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan,
How about just using No Nails to stick your boots to the skis Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can understand why this is all very confusing. I think the person who set you at 7 is way off the scale and if that is a typical practice there, I would beef up my understanding of what the bindings are trying to do and why, if I were you NewSkier.

Its all about the forces generated which can be affected by speed, your weight, terrain etc.

On our recent trip we used quite a few Black Diamond demo skis from the test centre...and others...and we were telling the guys there what we wanted. Deep snow needs more DIN in our circumstances and there seems to be a 1 DIN diff between Fritschis (AT) and alpine
bindings so we set the AT ones higher.

When next at Xscape, I'd ask why he sets it at the DIN he does, and ask him to explain it. With what pointers you have here, you should be able to tell if, a) he knows what he is doing, and b) he cares. You can also take this line of thinking to the next hire shop on holiday.
I would suggest a start-off figure of between DIN 4 and 5 (you are a big guy) and see how they perform. At your stage they will need to come off a bit earlier than some would like as the terrain is not going to be an issue so much.

I'd be happy to be corrected by a bindings expert but as your case suggests, there are 'experts' and 'experts'

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 5-03-07 18:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm now 62 Kg and ski on 5. I've skied on 5 for many years and last Weds with the boys was the first time one of my skis pre-released - but I was bouncing across several frozen ruts at the time! Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski,

it was a shocker, wasn't it..? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, It's now nice and soft and slushy - which I'd hoped it would be when we went down... real nightmare snow - thumb still largely inoperable and v. large bruise on hip! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
An interesting thread, as I always have issues with hire shops when I'm trying out skis (I have my own skis too). I ski with mine on 3. I am not a beginner, and tackle black slopes, bumps, and even a bit of GS. But I find on 3, my skis release exactly when I want them to. Like many here, I want to avoid knee ligament injuries, and although I don't fall much, I do want them to come off in slow speed situations. They do, exactly at the point where it is thinking about hurting. The problem is the shops want to set them higher, because of the type of skis I'm hiring and the type of skiing I do. I just carry a cycling multi-tool and wind them back down again when I get out of the shop. I'm only 5 ft 2 and 7 1/2 stone anyway! I might be tempted to wind them up a little bit (to 4) on more difficult terrain, but I did the whole Snoworks race course in November over rutty icy stuff in Tignes, with a setting of 3, and had no release problems at all - they stayed on for the whole week.

There seems to be a bit of a macho thing about ski binding settings 'though. I often hear people (usually blokes) say "Yeah, well I need 12 coz I'm really quick, and macho, and do blacks and stuff". Good luck to them. I hope they come off if needed!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, ouch, sorry to hear that !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
JT, It's now nice and soft and slushy - which I'd hoped it would be when we went down... real nightmare snow - thumb still largely inoperable and v. large bruise on hip! Shocked

Inoperable??? Noooo - we have the technology to rebuild her. Der Ner Na Naa... The six million euro easiski!!! wink

Hope it goes down soon btw.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, I'll need it to bop you with when you arrive! NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
Scarpa, I'll need it to bop you with when you arrive! NehNeh NehNeh

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Oi - no being cruel to the pupils. Throwing dog biscuits gets much better results when training Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy