Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale Saturday 06:00 Flight. Has anyone................

Poster: A snowHead
took this flight from Manchester previously ?

If you have, could you give me some info please.

What time did you arrive in Tonale?
How long was it before you had finished collecting your ski hire ? (if you did hire).
Do you think you would have had time for any skiing that day ?
If you did ski, did you make any arrangments with the lift pass ?
Anything else I should know ?

My daughter and I are going there on this early morning flight in 2 weeks and thought it would be great to make an instant start.

Would really appreciate any info.

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi gorjulin, we were on the 7.00am from Gatwick 3 weeks ago.

There were plenty of northern voices on the transfer coach, I suspect earlier flights were made to wait.

We arrived in resort at 2.30pm. The lifts run til 4.45, we certainly didn't have the energy to get up there.

You cannot go far wrong in Tonale. It's so small that within half an hour you'll have recced out the ski hire shops, lift pass office, bars, supermarkets, cash point, and ski school.

The ski hire was high quality, simple and cheap. If you still have the choice, don't prebook. We were given a very hard sell by the rep on the bus that equipment was liable to run out if we didn't book through him at 50Euros. We declined that offer, went to the same shop (Noleggio by Maestri - 3 branches), no queues, tons of equipment, we rented superior skis (Volkl supersports) for 35 Euros for the week. We were in the shop for 5 minutes, though we then left the skis overnight to be waxed and sharpened.

Lift pass you can't go wrong either. The rep told us that a.) we needed a passport photo and to go to a particular hotel to get this done. b.) the queues at the lift pass office were very long and we shouldn't do it ourselves. Instead we should go to a second hotel to give him our photos then to a welcome meeting at a third hotel to pick up the passes. So in the end we just strolled into the lift pass office at 4pm on the saturday, no queue, they took our photos digitally, job done in 2 minutes.

As I mentioned, Tonale is small so I'm sure you'll suss it out yourself. But a few tips:
- The best slopes, best atmosphere, best snow (despite the lower altitude it's north facing) & fewest crowds are at Pontedeligno. It feels a world away from Tonale. Bear in mind that the linking gondola only opened this season so resort reviews and piste maps wont necessarily reflect this.
- Definitely do a day trip to Marilleva/Folgarida/Madonna. But don't pay 20-oddEuros to do it through the tour op. There's a free bus every day, just book the day before at the tourist office.

Incidentally I've been a bit scathing of the rep in this post. I'd rather not say who I went with, but reps from 2 other major operators were in our hotel every night, and they appeared very organised and generally switched on.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

we rented superior skis (Volkl supersports) for 35 Euros for the week

WOW thats cheap!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimiHendrix wrote:
Incidentally I've been a bit scathing of the rep in this post. I'd rather not say who I went with, but reps from 2 other major operators were in our hotel every night, and they appeared very organised and generally switched on.

I had a similar experience when we lost someone in Sauze one day, we couldn't get hold of our rep but one from another TO walked through the door at the right moment so we grabbed her and she sorted it all out for us.
As it happened our friend arrived a few moments later so a search was averted.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimiHendrix, Many thanks for the great info.

Looks like we'll have to wait 'til Sunday to get going, not to worry.

We've already pre-booked everything in a package that I thought was pretty good value, 1 weeks intermediate ski school, skis, boots and lift pass for £174. We are going with Neilson, hope their rep is one of the good guys !

Yes, I know about the new gondola linking Tonale and De legno, can you actually ski down to De legno and if you can, what level are the runs ?

It seems the day trip to Madonna et al is well recommended, can you ski there for the day on the local Tonale/legno pass or do you have to upgrade and if so, what's the script ?

Thanks again.

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gorjulin, yes you can ski down to PdL but it's a strange run. Some bits are very flat and others are like a winding country lane (which they actually are in summer). When we went last year, the liftie just outside PdL went for lunch between 12 and 2, so you had to pole through a long flat section to get to the main lift in the village.

The runs themselves are a bit steeper than most of the ones in PdT but I enjoyed them. Nothing too challenging but good pratice for nervous intermediates starting to get to grips with steeps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gorjulin, well if you're tough enough after a day's travel, you can buy a 2 hour pass!

£174 is good value. The local lift pass is 154Euros so you're getting the kit and ski school pretty cheaply.

The rep will give you a voucher for kit hire at "Noleggio by Maestri". The bottom end skis there were still new Volkls but if you don't like the look of them you can upgrade for just a few Euros (kit really is that cheap out there). The boots were a different matter - they tried to fob off my friend with some rear-entry boots so we had to encourage the decent kit out of them. The techs are very friendly and chilled out, you wont have a problem.

So the local lift pass is 154Euros. There's a complicated version for 178Euros which covers you for 1 day in Madonna, 1 day from the Marilleva/Folgarida side and some other places I can't remember. Or you can present your Tonale lift pass (154 Euro) at Madonna/Marilleva and pay a daily upgrade fee. The best source of information will be the tourist office - check if you reserve your place on the free bus there. There's lots of info on this at http://www.adamelloski.com

As Clive, says, you can ski down to PdL. There's one access chair to PdL which is the one he says to avoid at lunchtime - you'll only take this once per day. I encourage you very strongly to go there - we spent more time there than Tonale. Having been a little underwhelmed by the straight up and down character of the Tonale slopes we set off on a windy interesting run down to PdL, through trees (hurrah!) alongside a mountain stream. You then get a long slow chair up to the PdL slopes. Keep straight ahead/left and you'll end up in Valbione which we found the prettiest bit of the resort. There's a good restaurant overlooking a lake in a wooded valley - sitting outside in the sun we had one of those skiing "moments". The PdL slopes are good - rolling, curvy (rather than twisted) and all tree lined. They are all reds and blacks but nothing too heavy. You don't mention your level, but the reds and blacks are indistinguishable, and the steepness never exceeds an "average" (if such a thing exists!) red. The steepest section is actually 100 yards of the first red down to PdL - none of the blacks are this steep. The major surprise was the snow, which was considerably better in quality and coverage at 1200m in PdL compared to 1900m in Tonale. The gondola back covers a lot of horizontal ground....so take the scrabble!

One tip for the Tonale slopes - if it snows overnight be sure to get the first lift up to scorpion bay (its the far right as you look at the ski area). They won't have pisted the Contrabandieri run, and it's truly epic in fresh snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimiHendrix, Great info, once again, Once again many thanks.

I already spoke to one of the Neilson reps out there via their website forum, and she said the same about upgrading the skis, so relly pleased to hear from you to confirm. The boots are another matter, so I'm encouraged that we can perhaps cajole some decent boots from them. I ain't above bribery !!!!

I'm at good intermediate level, can do any red easily enough and have done the blacks on the Hohe Salve at Soll, a bit stop/start but got down them, just need to get used to the faster speed.
My daughter who is accompanying me is about intermediate, does all blues and most reds, hoping to really improve over our week in Tonale so the PdL slopes may be nearer the end of the week for her.

I've found the Adamello site. It's really excellent and would be much better if I could speak Italian !! I can't find an English version, did you ?

We are staying at the Orchidea, which according to the Adamello map, puts us right by the lift up to Contrabandieri, so really hoping for overnight snow and an early start now !!!

The Valbione valley certainly sounds worth visiting. Sounds wonderful !!

Really looking forward to this trip, It will be my last in Europe for quite a long time. I arrive back from Tonale Sat 17th March and fly out to a new life in Australia on Sunday 25th !!........mmm.......Must put a topic on the site to find out the quality of the skiing in Oz and NZ.

Thanks again JimiHendrix,

Cheers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gorjulin, I stayed in the Orchidea a couple of years ago and found it excellent. Good food, nice public rooms, comfy and clean. I'm not sure about the lift though Confused Unless we walked past one every day to the main lift station, it was about 6/7 minutes flat walk on cleared pavements, so not a hassle. The hire shop was there too and you can store your day shoes when skiing and boots/skis overnight. Sure you'll enjoy it snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anniepen, Thanks for the info.
Really glad to hear some good reports about the Orchidea, I saw some mediocre reports on it on the ski club uk site, however you guys have boosted my confidence in finding it to be a good move.

The lift ?............well I've looked at the map of Tonale on the Adamello site, now admittedly this is a "cartoon" map, and it numbers the orchidea (1Cool , and puts it in a position just on the edge of the village near the hotel Del Alpi which is on the "end of the block", in the opposite direction to the main lifts, go around the corner and there is a lift to the Contrabandieri runs, now it's pretty clear if you go and look at the adamelloski site , click on map del paese, then scroll down past the map of PLD, onto a map of Tonale, double click on the map and then click the % choice on the tool bar, and choose "actul size" ,you can then read the key at the bottom of the map. However, you have been there and that makes me wonder about the accuracy of the map !! Anniepen, Do you think it's a good representation of the place ? Or is it a waste of time ?

Look forward to your verdict.

Cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anniepen,

BTW, Did you mean you can store your day shoes at the hire shop near the lifts, and then store your skis/boots there, in the hire shop, overnight, to collectagain next day.......... Or , as I suspect.......... That you can store your day shoes in the Hotel ski store whilst you are skiing and then change back into your day shoes when you leave your skis overnight.

Boy !! that was a bit convoluted Puzzled !!

Ihope you mean the former, the ski hire place at Soll has a "ski garage" and it's right next to the main gondalor up the mountain, that was absolutely fantastic. It meant , off the piste , store your skis/boots , day shoes on and off to the nearest apres ski bar Razz !! It couldn't be better.

Here's hopin'

Cheers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gorjulin, If you have hired from the ski shop at the bottom of the main lifts (or ANY ski shop I would expect) you walk there in day shoes, leave them there and then the reverse at the end of the day. Very handily positioned. If you have your own skis, then there IS a ski room under the hotel (as we found when returning at the VERY late hour of 11.30 p.m. to find the front door locked! It was the only way into the hotel). Shocked

As for the lifts, the Orchidea is at the opposite end of the road from the main lifts, but still not a bad stroll. If there is a lift closer and in the opposite direction, I didn't see it (doesn't mean it's not there though!) I can't get into the map you refer to, but I'll try again
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gorjulin, it's about 5 minutes walk to the lift straight up to Scorpion Bay. On that map (which looks accurate) you walk away from the main lifts, through a car park, and there are steps to the lift at the back right of the car park.

However what that map doesn't show you is it's up a dirty great hill! You're better off strolling the other way into town to the base of Alpe Alta/Valena. Only go up the hill if you're chasing first tracks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimiHendrix, Thanks for that. Much prefer to avoid the dirty great hill! Can you get to to that lift, to take us up to Scorpion Bay, an easier way, by going towards the main lifts and then walking to the right.

Anniepen, Funnily enough, every time I've skied, I've had somewhere more convenient than the hire shop to leave the skis, either the hotel or a ski garage near the lifts. I've never took them back to the hire shop to store overnight. Is it normal practice to do so ? or is it ,as you point out in this case, only when it IS more convenient for you ? (thanks for the tip).

Cheers
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gorjulin, Only when more convenient for you.

Many hire shops allow you to store the skis there overnight, and if so, then you have a choice of two places to put them for free - either there or at the hotel. Anywhere else will normally charge.
latest report
alex_heney, Yes, thanks for that, that's what I thought. Sounds like I'm getting it for free!

Cheers.
latest report
gorjulin, Yup - when more convenient. I aim to walk as little distance as possible carrying skis and walking in boots Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Can you get to to that lift, to take us up to Scorpion Bay, an easier way, by going towards the main lifts and then walking to the right.

The best way is up the hill.

To get up there you can also take the Valena lift (next to the lift pass office), and ski down to the base of the scorpion bay lift.

Lifts open at variable times between 8.40 and 9.00, so it's only a concern for first tracks, i.e. will Valena open in time to get you up the first scorpion bay lift?

It's difficult to describe routes without waving my arms around and drawing pictures, but on the first day you will be able to walk the whole resort in 30 minutes then you'll get a really clear idea of how it's all laid out.

Have a fantastic time snowHead
ski holidays
JimiHendrix, thanks, thats really helpful, I'll keep that in mind, no sense in trudging up that hill when there is another way. I know what you mean about arm waving, my missus says i'd be struck dumb if I had no arms !!

Anniepen, Quite right, however, the spanner in the works now is I'm just of into Town (Bold St) to Ellis Brigham to buy a pair of ski boots ! So I'll probably end up having to store my stuff at the hotel now !!! Damn !!

Cheers.
latest report
gorjulin, If you are hiring for your daughter, it might be worth asking a favour of the hire shop and see if you can leave yours there too. What's the worst that could happen? Very Happy
snow report
Anniepen, we did this in Serre Che a few years ago, as we were staying a walk from the lifts. THey charged us a few euros but not much.
snow conditions
Quote:

What's the worst that could happen?

Anniepen, I suppose that would be my brand new 200 quid Salomon Performas' could go walkies !!!

I know I'm probably being a bit paranoid there, I should be a bit more realistic in that they would be safe as houses, so I'll probably do that.

Cheers
snow report
Went to Passo Tonale Easter 2007. Even if there was decent snow cover the whole resort including PDL is very limited compared to the larger Alpine resorts and can easily be skied in a morning. The restaurants are excellent try the Pizza/Pasta place on the corner near the lift pass office, usually has the owner Jackie Stallone lookalike sat outside catching the rays.

I have uploaded some photo's which show the severe shortage of snow and apparently it had not been much better all season. The one's with snow are of the Glacier, however all the runs in Passo are South facing and these runs were literally 1" thick and were being used, it had been like this all season.

In short if you are verging on advanced you will ski it out in no time, but the restaurants are better and around half the price of what you find in more established Alpine resorts.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=989
latest report
Quote:

I have uploaded some photo's which show the severe shortage of snow and apparently it had not been much better all season.
to be fair, it was a poor season, and Easter was very late. Lots of much more established - and more expensive - resorts looked pretty sad by mid April 2007.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy