Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - VB for me and Le Tour for Mrs IMT?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all.

Mrs IMT is not a particularly confident skier yet, so is a little alarmed that we are off to Chamonix at Easter. I keep saying Cham, but actually just found out we are staying in Argentiere (first ski hol that I haven't had to arrange)

Would I be right in saying that in the area, Le Tour would be the best place for easy green/blue runs? I've never been there before, but looking at piste maps seems to suggest this. Mrs IMT would be more than happy to practice on a small number of easy runs - can anyone suggest the best bit in the area, or am I right with thinking Le Tour. Piste maps aren't always the best indicator of easy stuff, but I'm sure some of you guys can help me out - last thing I want it to get her to the wrong place and for her to have a miserable time.

Cheers

IMT
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMT, The best 'bit' in the area, is the 'bit' between the sky and the mud. Le Tour is excellent for crusing around, she'll be fine, let her explore, ensuring she tries everything between Charlanon and Vallorcine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Cheers, just want to ensure she enjoys it. I'm sure we all remember a time being stuck at the top of some where we didn't want to be when we were learning! Nearly put her off for life on the last trip - map suggested a nice cruisy blue - mmm! Not quite, but she got down eventually, but threatened never to go again, so this time HAS to right. Even with only a couple of runs, she will be happy.

Thanks again SZK, will pop in and say hi.

IMT
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMT, I spent a day at Le Tour a few years ago with my brother in law, who is a very shaky skier, and he was fine. I think there's some good runs at Les Houches, too - opposite end of the valley - but the snow was so terrible when we went there it was difficult to be sure.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMT, I have the same problem! Heading out to Chamonix on 12th March with a "Better Half" who did 1 week in Andorra 14 years ago...and hated it! I have been telling her for years that it was all due to who she went with/where she went etc..etc.. and she's finally decided to come with me so I'm determined to "convert" her! Bless her she is making an effort to like it and even went for a lesson at MK which I thought she did fine in. She's a little nervous but I'm certainly planning on starting her off at le Tour as my opinion is that it'll suit her best.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
awksquawk, Not just me then!! If you could let me know how she got on when you return, that would be great.

Le Tour it is!!

pam w, Cheers too!

IMT
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IMT, There are some lovely runs through the trees at Le Tour. We went to Chamonix when my kids had only done 1 week on snow and we found plenty that was the right level for them. My youngest (then 6) spent most of the week on the green at the base of Argentierre, but my older two (then 11 and 12) were fine on the blues on the mountain.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Ray Zorro, I guess you mean on the blues on Le Tour? Can't wait, and it's still weeks away!!! Very Happy

IMT
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IMT, I seem to remember that the blues at Argentiere were fairly easy as well as Le Tour, we did both as a family and the kids were very comfortable with them snowHead

You know her level, so have a look around on your own when you get there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'm certainly planning on starting her off at le Tour

awksquawk, my experience of people with "better halfs" who have hated skiing in the past (and sailing in the past) suggests that they are often better off NOT being told what to do by the "worse half". Like small kids, anyone who is a bit inclined to moan, or wimp, etc etc, is likely to do better with a well qualified (and preferably stunningly goodlooking....) professional instructor. There are several Chamonix experts on Snowheads - they could probably point you in the direction of an instructor to give her a few hours of private lessons. Could be your best investment in her (and your?) skiing future.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Agree totally! I think that private lesson will definately be on the cards but I am a very patient soul! She'll love it! snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

awksquawk, my experience of people with "better halfs" who have hated skiing in the past (and sailing in the past) suggests that they are often better off NOT being told what to do by the "worse half". Like small kids, anyone who is a bit inclined to moan, or wimp, etc etc, is likely to do better with a well qualified (and preferably stunningly goodlooking....) professional instructor. There are several Chamonix experts on Snowheads - they could probably point you in the direction of an instructor to give her a few hours of private lessons. Could be your best investment in her (and your?) skiing future.

pam w, Agree too, I think a few hours 1 - 1 tuition will be a great idea. Thing is, I know she can do it (and so does she) but she is a little lacking in confidence. I wouldn't dream of 'telling her what to do' - I value my marriage more than that... wink Any sugestions of a decent instuctor in the area?

I'll try not to bore everyone to death with this trip, but I am so looking forward to it - been wanting to try the area for many years. Just trying to get the best out of it for us both (her especially)

Thanks all.

IMT
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IMT, I spent a day in Le Tour. There are some nice blue pistes and I think you're wife will like it. I also recommend Les Houches, there are some good blue/red runs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Marina100, Thanks very much, pretty sure she's looking forward to it now...

IMT
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
awksquawk, totally and utterly agree with pam w and IMT, so your statement "I think that private lesson will definately be on the cards" is just not good enough. There is no "thinking" about it.
And not Private Lesson singular: I urge at least three 2 hour sessions.
And please do not think that your patience will be any use at all. She needs proper instruction from a proper instustructor (you're not one are you Embarassed ).
Finally, after she has had her lessons, you must prepare yourself to be told you are doing it all wrong. Do not argue. She will be right. snowHead
latest report
IMT, we explored Les Houches for the first time yesterday and were well impressed. Nice variety of green, blue and red off the top of the Prarion lift, excellent lunch at "Le Hors Piste" and very pretty through the trees. Snow higher up holding very well but a bit iffy skiing back down to Bellevue. Your OH might appreciate it...
snow conditions
David Murdoch, Cheers for that, gives me another option for her. Le Tour & Les Houches it is then. Very Happy

IMT
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy