Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short break in March. Quick transfers - airport/resort recommendations req'd

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
After my first ski trip for 17 years with the 'lads' to Kitzbuhel earlier this month, I now have the ski bug again.
I now want to take my GLW away for a short trip to get her enjoying skiing as well.

So I have the dates Thurs 15 March to Mon 19th March in mind.

I found the best flights for us on Ryanair at £87 return to/from Friedrichshafen airport. So I have in mind any resort very close to that...?
I am looking at Lech, but it seems to be 1hr 40 mins away and I dont want to make that length transfer (I know, I'm being picky), and I cant find good flights to Innsbruck from Stansted which would be better.
I have also looked into Chamonix - is that through Geneva airport? - what is the transfer time there?

But if anyone has recommendations to other resorts/airports that would be good for snow and cheapness and quick transfers then all advice is welcome!!

So please start throwing suggestions at me Smile

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilbern74, I've always liked the sound of Lech, but never been there (too expensive!). 1 hour 40 minutes, if it really is that, is not a long transfer at all. It'd take you a bit less time from Geneva to Chamonix, but I think Lech would be much nicer for someone new to skiing. Flaine is quite close to Geneva but not exactly picturesque. Will you be hiring a car? Judging on some recent Snowheads threads it will be quite difficult to find accommodation for that period, so if one of the Lech hotels can provide what you want, I'd go for it.

However, whether there will be any snow anywhere other than the very high places, by mid March, is anyone's guess. Transfers to the likes of Tignes or Les Deux Alpes will be longer.

PS I hope my husband never calls me the GLW, though if he took me to a nice hotel in Lech I'd probably forgive him...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gilbern74, http://www.thomsonfly.com have Gatwick - Salzburg for £66.34 return per person including taxes. That opens up a good choice of resorts to you.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Salzburg.html is worth a look to compare distances to resorts from airports.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilbern74, as FenlandSkier says, goto Salzburg if you want short transfers. If you're committed to Friedrichshafen, you'll probably need to accept a longer transfer to get to a decent resort, eg StAnton
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gilbern74,
Was looking to do the Saltzburg weekend, flights for 38 quid, but, no room in the inn, not for the weekend anyway! Gave up in the end after trying 25+ hotels, now going to Grenoble and LDA/ADH...may have been just Obertauern but had problems in Switzerland as well. seems to me that flights are not the problem but accomodation that will do weekends.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
martski, Gilbern74, best way in Austria seems to be to go thru the resort tourist office - they'll put your requirements out and any hotel with room will get back to you directly. Seems to work pretty well. In my limited experience if no-one (or very few) responds, it probably does actually mean they're really packed out, though remember that hotels will often wait till the week before to release rooms for a weekend booking, in the hope that they'll fill the rooms for whole weeks before then.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges,
Oh well booked in the old familiar in France before Easter, Austria will have to wait a little longer (weekend after Easter?)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all you learned snowheads for your replies snowHead !!

I will indeed head for Salzburg instead. Haqving looked at options on the actual resorts, bearing in mind the possibility of it being even milder in March and wanting a higher resort, I have turned my attentions to the resort of Obertauern, as it seems to be high enough and I have found some good reports on it, and the transfer appears to be reasonable (1 1/2 hrs max?)
There also seems to be quite a number of Hotels/Pensions around there to start making contact with. I will even change the dates if necessary to get the right accomodation.

So are there any good/bad things to watch out for in Obertauern Puzzled (Anyone been there?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are in Ski Amade - 45 mins from Salzburg airport. Transfers cost under €40 return. Ski Amade is a massive network so loads of choice. Obertauern is 20 mins away - on a seperate lift pass. Its a purpose built resort so takes care of itself. The skiing here is fab - we have loads of fresh snow too! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
flangesax wrote:
We are in Ski Amade - 45 mins from Salzburg airport. Transfers cost under €40 return. Ski Amade is a massive network so loads of choice. Obertauern is 20 mins away - on a seperate lift pass. Its a purpose built resort so takes care of itself. The skiing here is fab - we have loads of fresh snow too! Very Happy

Hi flangesax,
Just when I found a place in Obertauern I read your post and check out Ski Amade... Skullie

It looks impressive with such a wide area for skiing, but with so many places to choose from, what would you recommend. I'd be looking for something higher up (>1200mtr) I guess, and with a decent ski school, beginners for my wife and advanced for me..?

Currently looking at Zauchensee and Flachau.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't forget Kaprun - I've just been there and it's got a glacier so nothing if not snowsafe!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gilbern74 - don't discount Zell Am Zee - short train ride away from Salzburg and fantastic old alpine town. Skiing in Zell itself and nearby Kaprun is great and Apres Ski is first class.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gilbern74, yep, Zauchensee and Flachau are good, they are both big areas, so plenty for the two of you. Wargrain is also very good - also Reiteralm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, what's the best resort in the Ski Amade for apres and for choice of accomodation ??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try Saalbach 90 mins from Salzberg .If you get 6:45 am flight from Stanstead you can be on the slopes by 12
latest report
amos, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
amos, good advice, and welcome aboard the good ship snowHead
ski holidays
RichA, Flachau has loads of lively apres ski - clubs etc. The pistes can get very busy though compared to other towns. Accommodation - there is loads of it everywhere! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy